I just recently had my gall bladder removed on Thursday. I have been eating canned pineapples, mixed fruit cups and pasta. I have not had a bowel movement and I feel like I am about to explode. I am taking pain pills, but will it be safe to take an oral laxative? I'm afraid it may cause cramping.

I had mine out on May 13,2009.   Hate to burst some of your bubbles there, but for those who end up with the "I just ate and now praying I make it to the toilet syndrome" be prepared....That side effect could end up haunting you years after the surgery. I've contacted my Doctor about this many times. As they are concerned about my bowel movements, I am concerned about MONEY.  Pricey to get meds to help with the problem and do all the testing needed. I did get a medicine called Cholestyramine Powder (mix 1 scoop in 8oz of ANYTHING you care to drink - preferably water). It doesn't stop the fast acting diarrehea, but it helps with the "Oh c**p am I gonna make it?!" feeling.

Figured someone needed to post that even almost 2 years later, they are having the same problems now as they did the first month. Best of luck to everyone who goes through this procedure. Do as much research as possible so you're prepared for what comes next or could linger for an unknown amount of time.

I had gallbladder out 3 days ago,  wasw so bloated and uncomfortable last night (day 2 post op) and had to poop but it wouldnt come.  finally i did a fleet and that helped uncork!  just a few plops.  then I took a stool softener.  pooped this am more!  thank goodness. I feel so much better after that!!  drink water and stop the pain meds. I am only taking motrin 800 so I dont think that affects pooping/.

Well, I just had my gallbladder out... Today I am starting the third day after the surgery. Still no bowel movement (which feels wrong being as prior to this I would go every single time I put anything in my mouth- one piece of lettuce would put me down for the count) and I'm semi-nervous but I have been passing gas which seems to be a good sign. I want to say stay away from laxatives and go for straight up STOOL SOFTENER if you need to take anything- laxatives are harsh on your digestive system and dehydrate you which can make it even more difficult.

No, I'm not a doctor but my father who was diagnosed with terminal cancer and had many 'bathroom' issues. The Hospice nurse made it a point to clarify STOOL SOFTENER is what helps you poop, not laxatives. Laxatives only dehydrate and drain water from your system while the solids stay stuck inside of you. If you feel the need to get a laxative make sure it also says "stool softener" on the label otherwise you are probably doing more harm than good. Hope this helps.

I just got my gallbladder removed three days ago and i had a bm at the hospital, but i  am to confused on what regular food i should eat or not, but for now what have been working for me when it comes to food is eating baby food... since its low on fat and of course its made not to upset the baby stomach, so i figured if it works for my baby why not buy some baby food for myself for a few weeks until i start introducing regular food again into my system and so for so good no real big pain other then the staples itching and a mild ache and pain but ive been going to the restroom ok .

I had my gallbladder taken out monday morning, it is tuesday night right now, no bowel movements yet. Feeling bloated. I was having bowel movements right up until I went into surgery, so I had little to nothing in my bowels when I went in. So I'm not too worried, yet! I feel like I want to pass gas but I can not, either because it is not there or because it is too difficult. I've been eating lightly, mostly things with lots of liquid in them. I been urinating regularly, so at least I know my kidneys are working, and I'm thankful for that. Also I know pain killers can constipate people so I guess that is part of the reason. Tried some milk of magnese and so far it hasn't help, but I guess its just a waiting game. Hope this helps future readers.

http://www.med.unc.edu/gisurgery/patientinfo/gall%20bladder/gall-bladder-post-op seemed to have answers I wasn't even thinking about yet. :) I have my gallbladder out on Wed and it is now Fri. My thyroid usually makes me constipated for a day or two, but while in the hospital with Pancreatitis and on a liquid diet (6 days prior to surgery), was going regularly (go figure?!). I have been on Lortab so that maybe why I do not even have the desire to try a BM, I was just wondering (fearing how painful it may be). I think I understand why I am getting pain in my stomach area, feels like coremuscles are trying Knot tying 101 and I make a lot of straining sounds. But after I get moving around a bit, feel much better. I tried not taking the pain pills, but the "knotting" got worse. I have eaten mainly saltines, but stopped trying to plan out a meal schedule, because I am just not hungry.

I had my gallbladder removed 11 years ago and had similar problems. I purchased digestive enzymes and it stoped the problems. I still take them as needed

I had gallbladder surgery exactly one week ago. Almost 5 days went by without a bowel movement. Which concerned me because the gallbladder is a part of your digestive system. So I went to Walgreen and bought a fleet liquid glycerin laxative ($5.99). I know its T.M.I. but its a small amount of liquid that u have to squeeze into your anus. Anyway after about 5 minutes I already had to go. I didn't have much of a bowel movement, just somewhat, but it did relieve me. Another plus to it is I had the larcoscpoic surgery which in turn had me all stuffed up with a bunch of gas. The fleet relieved alot of this gas, I immedietley felt alot better. On the 6th day after surgery, nothing. I didn't use another fleet either. And today I woke up and had my own body's urge for a BM. Success! Then 2 hours later another BM! I know again T.M.I. but like most of u I was looking all over the internet for answers a few days ago, do I thought I would share mine. Anyway try the fleet things to alevieate yourself a little, at least for comfort. Give your body sometime to start back up, trust me it will eventually on its own. According to other stories like mine it should take about a week after surgery to have a BM, so just be patient. P.s. im also 18 weeks pregnant, 24 yrs old, and 127pounds

Guest wrote:

Hi I am back... I am the Guest who wrote about visiting luby's and the "low fat" food going RIGHT through me... Well today is day 7 since my having my Gallbladder removed. Things have gotten better since Day 4. After the episode at Luby's Cafeteria, I went back to soups. Yesterday, Day 6, I tried eating a grilled chicken sandwich with no mayo and no lettuce. I was able to eat it with no problems. That night, I ate another one. For lunch today, I was able to eat baked chicken cooked in a couple of TBL spoons Grapeseed Oil, and steamed green beans and rice. No diarrhea... No stomach aches.... I just ate about 10 of my kids French Fries for McDonalds (I couldn't resist). I ate a small piece of Pound Cheese cake. Everything is good considering that on Day 4 I feared I would never eat regular food again.

I called the Doc yesterday to ask for a list of low fat foods I can eat ? , they said they didn't have a list, but to look online and see if I can find something. I told them that the folks online is just as lost as I am about what to eat after a gall bladder surgery.... I also told them that it is VERY depressing reading all the stories about People not being able to eat :'( ! So I decided to document on this blog (which I've never done before) to suggest to everyone that you should start off eating light meals after about 3 or 4 days. Then try different foods to see how your body will react. If you get sick, don't let that scare you, just wait a couple of more days and try again. Your body will let you know when it's ready to go back to your normal diet. I am going to try to eat my normal foods, but just cook them a little differently. I will watch the fat intake, like Mayo and saturated fats and ease up on the seasons and spices.

Now as far as the BM. Day 4 was the 1st and only day I had a BM. I meantioned it was painful before. I must explained what I meant by painful. This my be too explict for some... As soon as I ate my meal, my stomach started feeling weird :$ and then started to cramp. I had explosive diarrhea and hard solid bowel at the same time! o.O My stomach was contracting as all of this was going on, so the four incisions and stitching were hurting. It lasted for 5 minutes straight. When I got home from the restaurant it happened again for about 3 minutes. I have not had a BM since then. This is not unusual for me. Before my surgery, it could go a week or two without a BM. I am not too alarmed about that. Sorry for being so graphic, but I was looking for information and couldn't find much helpful info. Maybe this can help someone who is going through something similar. Just remember that EVERY BODY IS DIFFERENT. Just take it one day at a time.

I go to the doc in 6 days for a follow up. I will let you know how it goes. If anything changes I will post more. God Bless. ;-)

Thank you so much for all the information I just had my gall bladder out on Friday Sept. 21 st. I'm on day 5 and no BM I feel like I have to but can't they had to go thru my belly button due to the position of the gallbladder I'm afraid to push because of that hopefully soon your blog was helpful thanks again and hope your feeling good!

MicheleDel wrote:

Guest wrote:

If you are on any kind of narcotic pain killers (any variety of codeine, oxy, hydro, Tylenol 3, etc), they often cause severe constipation. Call your doctor's office/nurse and ask if you can take a stool softener like Colace. All stool softeners do is enable your BM's to absorb enough water in you bowel so that they can move normally. Otherwise you can end up with a dry impaction that will be VERY painful to push out., to the point you may end up in the hospital having them "dig" it out "of there", which can be very unpleasant and embarrassing.

I had my gallbladder removed 4 days ago, I was in hospital for 3 days and sent home later on the third day.
I am yet to have bm , how long did it take everyone else ?

I had my gallbladder removed on December 13, 2012 after being admitted thru er for infected gallbladder. I was in the hospitall tilDecember 15th. it's been 3 day's. I'm sore. Short of breath when I breathe it hurts. My back shoulders and under ribs hurt compared to my attacks accompanied with gallstones it definitely hurts less. Today I had my first bowel movement and it hurt really bad.My Dr said my body is getting use to be without gallbladder so your organs have adjust.  

I stopped the pain meds after Day 2 for this reason. I had a bowel movement later that day with help from a laxitive suppository. My movement was somewhat penciled and not a ton but it made me feel much better to know it would happen. FYI, I've been on stool softener and magnesium and still fell pretty blocked. Of course, I didn't eat much for a few days prior to surgery. Those meds are needed but it's hardly worth the feeling of being so full on top of sore in the abs and tender inside. This was not my favorite process but probably necessary in my case!

I had surgery 6 days ago. It has been horrible with muscle spasms and cramps due to the Nitrogen they pump you with. I have no appetite and have hardly eaten anything , terrible way to lose weigh. I had to take milk of magnesia, recommended by dr.. He said that by not going to the bathroom that too will cause bloating and cramps. I ended up doing an infant enema too later when nothing happen, and that did seem to wake the bowels, started hearing stomach noises and some bowel movements. Bloating has gone down. Also taking gas x to help move gases. Just when I think ok I'm over the worse I start having muscle cramps which feel like a gall bladder attack. This has really sucked and I'm miserable .