I am on day 7 of getting rushed into emergency surgery to remove my gall bladder. They weren't sure at the start what my excusiating pain was that was coming from the right side of my stomach and back as I have also had the gastric banding done 7 years ago and not having had much problems with it made me very worried. I ended up having an X-ray and highly dosed up on pain meds nearly threw up during it and then did throw up all this black bile after it. Soon they told me its my gall bladder and my white counts up so I've got an infection. they told me my gall bladder was extremely infected and dead and were surprised I had no other symptoms before. I was also told I needed to be careful of the infection spreading to the banding so they forced me up on antibiotics till they sent me home with no pain killers as I had a little hallucination during the taking of Endos. If I'd know that I was going to be put on ibruffen instead after that I wouldn't have told anyone about the smoke coming out of the walls! I was told by a friends it's only happening cos my breathing was slower and if I'd have been told to take some deep breaths I would have been fine! Instead I was in agony for 24 hours before they kicked me out just over 24 hours later. at this stage I haven't had a BM for 8 days as I usually go every 4-5 days anyway but due to this surgery it's been 7 days now and no signs except gas. I'm feeling bloated and in pain due to that and the op. I got home and I was getting worried by days 8 that there's no BM so I took Sachets of Molvicol, Coloxyl, Artilax liquid, ate apples, dates, drank prune juice, light meals, lol lies, chocolate! Anything that would start it. Well within 24 hours it started and it was an hour long painful and excusiating poo that felt like it got stuck and I couldn't leave the toilet. I had to lie down as I thought I was going to pass out. I tried again hours later and again the same thing happened but this time I tried the Movilax enema. It was so painful I think the hospitals should warn u and give u something straight up for this cos my pain was as bad as the op and the gall bladder gave me! I went to bed and over the next 12-24 hours I was in bad pain again I did the enema and more came out but my rectum felt so sore and stretched it was bleeding. After 2 days of this it started to finally get softer but that didn't help either cos it came out a little bit at a time and every time gas came out it killed too. My advice for any op that involves u to take pain killers to get on something asap. We should demand an enema before we leave to! I'm on day 10 now and I know it's not over but I'm still taking stuff every 5 hours to keep it soft and hope that the worst is over!! I also don't know if anyone has had this problem but I woke up today feeling ok after I took my pain killers, antibiotics and stool softener until I ate a handful of plain potato chips and 2 chocolate snack treats. About half hour later the pain came back to it greatest moment and I again couldn't get comfortable. I tried water, cold air, asthma meds cos my breathing went funny and I had a shower. Nothing continued to stop the pain around my gall bladder and back. Out of desperation I tried a glass of milk which seemed to ease it surprisingly. So I don't know what happened but I nearly called the Ambo again but it stopped. My gf said after her gall bladder removal she can't take codeine anymore so maybe it was that but I have taken it again and so far no pain! Good luck guys and I'm not sure about the banding I have had all the fluid taken out of it the day before my op cos they said if the pain went away it would be that but it wasn't and now I'm crossing my fingers that the infection hasn't gone to that or I will apparently have to have it out!! I won't be happy then!

Drink water yep but seriously everyone's different but if u go past 5 days without BM take whatever u can get your hands on without being sick.

been 4 days since op,n have been worried about not going to loo,as b4 op sufferd with constipation fr years,been trying to find out if taking stool softeners are ok to still take,n after reading this page ave found the answer,im gna leave it fr the day n then take some,thnks all as was getting worried

after reading your story i feel a bit less concerned still no bm but now gnna tke stronger laxatives,hope u r ok now

No bile movement

Three hours?!! Good god I never heard of such a thing however, each individual is Dubuque and certainly the circumstances are unique! Some people go in for "elective" surgery, others are rushed to the ER and must get it removed asap.

I had my gallbladder out 1 week ago today. Had taken two softners each day and drank 2 cups of miralax and still nothing but a few hard little balls(tmi sorry), final day 7 , I got a horrible stomach ache went to the bathroom and large amounts came out several times in the day then turned into diarrhea - my stomach was sooo bloated and now feels sooo much better- , so it will happen be patient

Hi. I see this was posted over a year ago. But I had a great laugh about the exploding diarrhoea.

Why did they let me go home after gallbladder removed I had not passed gas or popped or urinated?

well first off your diet sucks ...... and i would say call your GI doctor and ask advice

That was helpful.

Thanks your answer made me a little less worried now I will wait and see how things come out in the end. Humor helps to,)

I just had my gall badder removed on the Feb 15th ..nothing nice just trying to get out of bed to go pee is hell and I don't even want to talk about getting back into bed.every muscle in ur stomach is so soar it's ridiculous...I now kno what a little turtle feels like trying to get on its feet!! But with20× the pain. I have not had a BM in about 7 or 8 days ..I might release a couple little rabbit pellets .I've drank several bottles of magnesium citrate.stool softeners ete. Etc...I told surgical staff I have constipation issues .so they gave me stool softeners to take while I'm on pain pills. This has been a problem why before gall badder removal ...I'm tired of feeling bloated and miserable if some one out there knows what will help please share...

Thank you for your post, I will stop taking pain meds today and drink more water, sound advice, cheers

I had gallbladder removed four days ago. Had my first bowel movement today. I'm so happy, it wasn't sore, passed nice and easy. Since the operation am having soupy foods, like millet with broccoli and puy lentils, quinoa with apple and raisins, porridge, Ginger and cumin and tumeric in small amounts. these are very gentle foods on the digestive system. Read frightening posts about constipation but it wasn't like that. I eased off a bit on painkillers. So eat smaller and soupy gentle foods and you'll be grand.