Celebrity

My title got too long to fit a question mark in :). 

I am not usually one to follow what celebrities do, and we all know that they do some odd things that most of us would not even consider. But really? Blood facial injections, or "vampire plastic surgery"? I saw a picture of Kim Kardashian having this done. It was probably from years ago which shows how up to date I am, but OMG is the right reaction. 

The plastic surgeon gets a vial of blood out of your arm, separates the plasma from the rest, and adds it back onto your face, after making many little holes in the surface of the skin. It makes you look young and radiant, they claim. 

I was curious whether anyone reading this forum has tried this procedure or if you would otherwise like to discuss its merits. 

Rosie

I have read about this. I'm not going to look it up now so I can link it, but I do remember reading that there is absolutely no scientific evidence that these vampire treatments work. Saying a spell for better skin may work better and at least does not involve removing blood from your body, which is a pretty crazy thing to do. It falls into the same category as people who swear that drinking their own urine makes them healthy, basically. That stuff is in your body, and if putting it on your body did you any good, wouldn't evolution have provided some mechanism to make that happen naturally?

Selphyl is what the vampire facelift is really called, and it's a little more involved than just removing blood from the consumer and placing it on the face. In fact, the blood is processed until only PRFM, platelet rich fibrin matrix, is left. Other substances are added as well. This is then injected back into the face, into areas that are being targeted for wrinkle reduction. It's quite interesting, really. It is true that there's no scientific evidence that Selphyl works, but many customers are very happy with the procedure and that means something too, doesn't it?

I heard about this alright. I hate having blood drawn for blood tests and why anyone would undergo this procedure off their own free will I don't get. Sure, there's plenty similarly painful procedures like TCA peels, botox, fillers, the list goes on, but the difference between those and this vampire facelift stuff is that there's no reason to believe this does anything. Actually, you gotta question any doctor who does treatments for which there's no evidence that they work at all. Sure, if it's still in the experimental stage, but this falls into the loony celebs camp I think. 

I actually really like the idea of having a "vampire facial", but I seem to be the only one here who thinks that way. Come on, people, is your own blood really that scary? More scary than chemicals, which are used in other procedures? I think the vampire facial probably caters to a niche market, and it is a fairly new treatment as well. This is why there are no reputable studies yet. Science probably has better things to do with its time! If you read reviews written by people who have had vampire facials already, you get a different picture though. I challenge you to find a review where someone says it did nothing for them. I have not found any such review. I am definitely planning to get it done.

I guess you have a point there.

I also think the thought of such a facial is intriguing. Yes, I like the idea of using something "natural" for anti-aging and your own blood products are as natural as it gets, really, aren't they? If this really works I can see why it would be like, the thing perfectly designed for your skin. It is in your body already!

I guess there are many reasons why studies are not available. I don't think this is quite a new treatment because celebs have been in the news with this at least several years ago, but few people probably use it because of the ick factor. For me, I don't dislike the idea. I am not sure if it works though.

I found this site looking up where to get vampire plastic surgery. Does anyone know more about that? Would any plastic surgery clinic perform this, or do you go to a spa center for it, or...? If anyone knows where to find a list of providers of this procedure please tell me.

Does this work? I think so!!! If you look what celebrities say and what they look like, it is clear that they have some special secret that keeps them looking good and this is probably part of what their secrets are. I trust it enough to want to try it anyway.