I, like many others on this forum, scared myself to death about getting a medical abortion after reading some of the stories on here. The reality of the situation was far from what I had expected. Ill give you a little run down ...I am 26, and 5.5 weeks when I decided on the medical abortion. The first appt was a little scary, my boyfriend had to work so I had to go alone. Not knowing what to expect was probably the hardest part of this whole thing. After seeing the exam room where they do the surgical abortions, I was really happy I chose medical - that room and the things in it was what really scared me, lol. I told the Dr. I wanted painkillers stronger than ibuprofen, so they prescribed me 5 mg Percocets. 

After taking the first pill, I really didn't feel much. There was a little cramping through the rest of the day but nothing significant. I worked myself up so much about taking the second set of pills that I felt nauseated. But that was definitely not from the first pill. I'm just neurotic. When the time came to take the second set of pills, I made sure I was 100% prepared. I took a shower, turned on my heating pad and took my Percocet and OTC ibuprofen. Then, I inserted the cytotec buccally. After I swallowed the remaining cytotec after the 30 mins of dissolving, I started to feel pressure and mild cramping. On and off I would feel this pressure and mild cramping. And that was it! No vomiting, no fever or chills, no shrieking in pain on the floor. Yes it was uncomfortable, and I think the painkillers and heating pad prevented it from being worse than it was. I think some pro-life people like to come on here and scare people! Sure, some people might have a bad experience but mine was far from bad! It felt like a normal, heavy period and that's it! So don't let these horror stories sway you from doing the medical. I'm 100% happy with my choice and I am thankful to even have a choice. Stay strong, ladies, and don't let fear get in the way of making your decisions.

Is there a question in your first post or are you just using this forum as your platform?

It's not just physical issues that many women have problems with. 

You may have noticed a large number of women express regret at their decision.  Maybe this will happen to you in another 33.5 weeks when your baby was due, maybe not.  It can happen years later too.

Thank you for your post.

Medic-Dan...you're right, I didn't touch on the emotional aspect of my abortion because a) it's nobody's business why I chose what I did and b) I wanted to focus on the physical pain as that was an important factor to which method I chose. This post wasn't a "platform" for being pro-choice. I just want women to know that people will come on here and scare people into making decisions that might not be right for them. Nonetheless, I've done plenty of research on this subject long before having one myself and your claims of regret are largely unfounded. There are no legitimate studies, from reputable medical journals, coming from an unbiased source to support that claim. Thanks for the feedback Dan!

Thank you River.

I do appreciate your description of the procedure and agree that many women would be scared, and should not be, of having it done. But, studies or not, there are many women that do express regret. Maybe not right away but at some point in their lives.

With any procedure there are emotional aspects to deal with. They often can't be separated from the physical.

Thank you for making this forum a better, more informed, and safe place to post.