hey, congrats for trying to get clean. My pain management doctor was arrested, and I was on Methadone (120mg a day), and Oxycodone (120mg a day), and I was shut off cold turkey. I had about 50 methadone pills left, and about 15 Oxycodone (due to him prescribing 30 days worth, but seeing him every 4 week [28 days]). I tried self detoxing over two weeks, breaking the pills down to 1.25mg pieces after doing the big jump from 120 to 80 to 60, 40 then 20 (VERY quickly). About 2 weeks later I had 5 mg left, but every time I tried to stop cold turkey, my blood pressure rose to hypertensive (about 171/129). I went to one ER (because my PCP wouldn't/couldn't help me), and they gave me 4 days of percocets which helped, then another ER which gave me 2 days of Vicoden, and suggested I check into detox. I tried but was classified as 'narcotic dependent/pain management and not on a high enough dose and denied entry. I went to the ER one more time and they gave me Clonidine and Valium for a week. So I went home and did the acute detox which I'm not gonna tell you how that is since, I'm sure you can read the withdrawal signs anywhere, it was hell, but my biggest concern was not having a stroke, which was where the Clonidine helped (A LOT). Anyway after the acute detox, I had trouble sleeping for a couple weeks, finally getting better now (I was lucky enough to have Trazodone, so that knocked me out.....Anyway it's been 23 days off Methadone, and I feel pretty normal now, nor more muscle aches, or hot/cold flashes, and can sleep about 6 hours with just some Benadryl. Don't get scared, it's all manageable, and don't read too much online, because some of the stuff I read was like a horror show. A lot of it is mental, and you WILL return to feeling normal sooner than you think. This stuff had destroyed my pituitary gland, and now I can almost feel my sex drive surging, I've lost 30 pounds in about a month (about a pound a day), and I feel pretty good. Like they say, Methadone is like a marriage to the devil. Don't think about it too much, my anxiety was the biggest problem. Good luck man!

You have too want to put a end to this. I am on 110mg which is alot. I WANT TO get off this so bad,,, unfortunately I can't makes me very upset.

From experience do not set a goal or a number that you want to met,I went from 120 to 40 in a month that wasn't really that bad but from theRe it was hell bc I had this mind set that I was gona be off of it by this date.get to a number where you can sleep and eat,there is gona be body aces and pain,just know there is no way around that.drop .5 or up to 2 mg at a time,but don't try to set a goal every week,I know it sounds bad saying don't set a goal,but it is coming from experience 5 1/2 years of it. Good luck

Hi Sandra...I read your post and my daughter who has been on pills for 11 years want a drug free life that you talk about. She has a condition called gastroparesis specifically caused from opiate use. She is all messed up and doesn't know how to come down from Methadone plus what the doctors have her on? She has been on Methadone for 7 years. She tried to drop 5 mg. a week ago which has given her withdrawal problems. I don't know who we can talk about this and how to go off, the doctors and clinic don't have the answers and are making her condition worse. If you have any advise or someone to contact who is good and knowledgeable please let us know. My daughter is here reading your post and reaching out to you....I am just the typist!

I successfully got off methadone after about 8 years off use. I slowly tapered on a blind dose ( I didn't know how much I was taking ). Before I knew I was down to 16mg. After being at 85. I also stated to split my dose in half so taking only half every 12 hours sometimes skipping a 12 hour interval.
I got on clonodine and Klonopin for the last part, for sleep and withdrawal symptoms. At 10 mg. a day a just stopped I wasn't too bad the worst part was trying to force myself to sleep. I started to feel better after 2 -3 weeks. It's 70% mental and 30% physical for me. I am sure it's different for everyone. But that is my experience your luck and a great weight will be lifted off you when you do get off successfully

I'm also kicking dones. 30 then down to 10. Support mental & a real pain maintenance without opiods. They are all devils magic . I have done it all & a kiss or hug can boost you just as much if not your hugging the wrong person again support

Thank You for not being an alarmist and telling the truth.
People who say things like "The worst part is mental I promise." or that "the clinic just wants to keep you on it forever" are very selfish people. We should encourage each other, not try to scare each other into failure.

Hello I was on 80 mils for 3 years. I tapered slowly. First by tens till I got till 15 then 1 a week...
Today is my 5th day on 0 and I'm doing good..makes u stronger what we do through..my story is the same as yours with herion......I can do it.. Exercise and kick ass music gets u threw the mental part...thats huge...don't be scared to drop more... If I can do it so can you... I know how hard it is I'm still having moments but it's OK.....get mad.
Get sad.... It helps and trust me you become happy bit by bit.....I hope you continue to do well.... You don't know how much confidence you have until you are forced to walk through fear.... Buy when you do you become stronger....I wish I could talk to you and tell u it's going to be OK.
All the best... And since tour story is so close to mine if u want to talk let me know 

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** private e-mails not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use

I have taken methadone for 15 years I am on my third day with no withdraws at all i am taking gavbatin 300 mil it is not narcotic my equal libreum is off a bit but no pain at all. ILL let you know how i am after a week. Good luck

Hi I've been on methadone about 5yrs and I want off. I want my life back. I'm on 60 msg but I've been trying to ween myself off. Should I go to rehab

What drugs are you talking about that is supposed to be a miracle drug and is only available in Canada or Mexico?

Don't worry you WILL make it through this. It's time for the fun to begin. I'm on the tale end of a prolonged self induced opiate withdrawall. Let me share my past few weeks. It might help. First off I'm 38 years old and have been on opiates for a car accident/conastant pain for the past 4 years. And I'm going through a divorce/custody battle right now. Also I have to optain a class B at the DMV for work. I said when I ran out of my script, no more I WILL, CAN do this. I had gotten it into my head that it's time for the madness to stop. I went 6 days with just OTC meds. I don't know how I made it to work, but I did. Oh I forgot I scored oxycodone blues 30mgx28 and ate those, it only lasted for 3 of those days. I'm not sure. Then I filled my methadone script Ive been on for a year from pain management and had eaten 15x10mg for 5 days and gave 40 away. Then weaned myself cause I didn't have any more for 4 days with 2 a day. So then I went another 7 days with no opiates but I had scored Gabapenitn, baclofen and xanax we call them yellow ladders. It was enough to last for 5 of those 7 days. It definitely helped a lot. So now we're at July 20th my daughters B-Day and I ate Norcos 10mgx8 with xanax 1 and 1/2. The next day I ate 4 then I got real sick. Had no more opiates. That day was a bad day. I had given up laying on my bathroom floor naked and wet from a shower I had attempted to take sick as hell. I think I regret eating those norcos because I think it may of just dragged out the withdrawall. But there is going to be times when you have to give up and realize your not in control. So then I sucked it up and went to work. I took a mega dose of Imodium, I drank a whole bottle the larger one and ate 6 capsules. That was 7 days ago and you have to realize I've been sick this whole time. Today I scored some more Gabapenton, baclofen and and Wellbutrin instead of xanax. But at first today I forced myself to function and cleaned my house had compny over, fed my cat and my daughter, did work in the backyard, took my daughter swimming and shampood my carpets. That was befor the Gabapentin. I read two books, The Killing Joke and part of another book about brain chemistry, biochemistry, thast had helped to reinforce what I'm putting myself through because I had read about how opiates affect you nerology and nevous system, and about the GABA, seretonin, receptors and inhibitors. How it changes your whole biochemistry. So like I had stated this whole time I've been sick but forced myself to function. You just have to WILL it to happen even when you can not find the effort to go on it still goes on and it will get better hopefully soon. I only missed one day of work last Friday. Today I feel better.

That's a really horrid thing to say to someone. "You'll always be a hero in addict." What nonsense. People are what they choose to be, even if they are, or were, dependent on a substance.

Don't listen to newfie. How you feel is what matters.

Hi I read your blog and wanted to ask a few questions, I been taking methadone for 3 months at 90mgs, im in my 72hour mark and now starting to feel shitty, I still have 90mgs my aunt is holding for me, should I sipit or just dump it