Hi everyone. I have a dog and I don’t know much about cats. I do love them though, I am not exclusively a dog person. My mother always had cats and ever since I was little I used to hold them and carry them around the house.

Now I live in a building and there is this cat that I feed pretty often, she comes to sleep in front of my building, sometimes even on my doormat.  Just like a dog.

Lately she seems a bit depressed so I wanted to ask you is there anything I can do to cheer her up? I’m especially interested in diet suggestions, what type of food could help her to overcome depression?

Yes, this is one of signs of depression. Unfortunately, I had the same situation, and if your cat is showing some signs of depression, you need to know that vet visit is something that you need to do. He will help you to figure out what is the main cause of the depression and how to treat it.  My kitty was really depressed once, and medication was something that she needed to use. I am not saying that this is the case with your cat as well, but after you take her to the vet I am sure that she will be back to normal…soon :)

Hey everyone. I am really sorry that your cat is depressed. I agree that visiting the vet is something that you should do, but there are a lot of other ways to cheer up your depressed cat, with food of course. Did you ever consider that your cat is not satisfied with ordinary food that you are giving to her? You should try to experiment with something, just to see how she is going to behave in this situation. Maybe that is the clue, maybe she will cheer up when you give some new ingredients to her. Try it and tell me is there any effect. 

Hello  I don’t know what is your cat eating now, but when my kitty was depressed I started to feed her with BARF diet program. The main reason is that I have heard that this diet program is really good and healthy, so I have decide to try. And, I really have to say that this is the best option, this is the best decision ever :)Of course, I didn’t know what to do in the first days, so I have decide to consult with my vet. He recommended me to try with BARF diet program, and it was really good.

I don’t think that BARF diet can help when it comes to depression in cats. I think that food cannot solve the problem at all. Maybe it can help a little, and by helping I mean it can distract the cat or maybe cheer her up for a sec.

I remember when we had Snowy we used to give him his favorite treats when he was depressed. He always liked bananas and we used to give him a banana whenever we notice that he is feeling down.It would always cheer him up. Other than that, there wasn’t any effect (of raw food for example) on the cat’s mood. 

My thought exactly. No diet can help your depressed kitty. You can only make her favorite treat, but the most important is that your cat gets your attention… a lot of.

Play with her, take her out, find her a friend for game or adopt a new kitten. Just be there for her. I am positive that her condition will improve in no time.

As for foods, I mentioned favorite treats. Please, try not to overdo with them as you don’t want your kitty to be too fat. You can try making homemade food and it would be a good idea to include her in whole process. I mean, let her look how do you make food for her.

My cat, luckily, is never depressed. She is a very cheerful kitten, just like her mother was. But when I had my previous cat, her mom (she eventually died, she was old and her kidneys stopped working properly), she used to get depressed every year around winter. It was like a seasonal thing. You know how some people are likely to get depressed in autumn? Well my cat was negatively influenced by winter.

Anyway, when that happens I used to make her chase balls out of meat. Usually it was chicken meat. But you can use any other meat you want. It will cheer her up.

The chase ball made out of meat is a great idea. That way not only your cat gets her delicious treat, she also gets to follow her natural instinct to hunt, which may help a lot when she or he is depressed.

You can also find toys in your local pet shop (probably) which can be stuffed with your cat’s favorite food. But the food is not easily accessible so your cat will need to work hard to get it. That way you will be occupying her attention and she might as well forget that she was depressed in the first place.