Hello. I have a problem with my cat. We went to see my friend yesterday and since she loves my cat she immediately took her in her hands when we arrived. She has three cats of her own and she knows a lot about them. As soon as she picked him up she started touching his paw and asked me why is it swollen. I had no idea that his paw was swollen in the first place. She told me to take him to the vet, but she didn’t tell me what might have caused it. Do you know what are the usual causes of swollen paw?

Hi Mima,

It could be due to an infection or an injury.

See your vet.

Hi Mima,

I’m sorry to hear about your cat’s swollen paw.

The largest number of swollen paws in cats is caused by some sort of infections, usually from an overgrown toenail or it could be from a bite of another animal.

She might have broken a bone although you would have probably noticed that.

The thing you can do before taking her to the vet is to examine her paw for foreign objects, any type of wounds or some overgrown nails. Even if you happen to find a foreign object and remove it, even if you find a wound and clean it, take your cat to the vet afterwards so he can check about any infections that she could have gotten in the meantime.

Hi!

Mima, it might not be anything serious, regarding when did you notice your cat’s swollen paw and how long has it been swollen.

Before making any quick conclusions, as the user above already told you, you should try and examine your cat’s paw for any wounds or any sort of stings. You need to do it very gently though because you could hurt your cat, and then, she might even hurt you reflexively.

I hope it’s not an infection because those things can turn out to be nasty and they can make some further complications.

Be sure to check with your vet anyway for he will know the best.

Hey there.

My cat had swollen paw a few days ago. It was nothing serious, so in your case, it can’t be nothing harmful as well. But, you can never tell until you visit your vet.

When you see that your cat is acting strange, you should check her or painful foot, because sometimes it is warm to the touch.

Also, you can see discharge from the swollen foot.

The main cause of this will be due to infections, or even from an overgrown toenail. Also, it can be caused by some bite or even puncture wound.

There are some other causes such as broken bone, etc. 

Hello. First, you should really visit your vet about this issue. Like other members already told you, it can be nothing, it can be caused by some random situation, but also, it can be serious. And, I think that you know it as well. A cat nails can also be the main cause of the swollen paw, and this often happens when nails are too long, and in this cause, they can break off and become infected. Very often, this can lead to infection, and infection can lead to something that is more serious. When you treat it right, there is no reason to be worried. 

Hey there.

I really hope that everything will be OK with your cat. My cat is now sick and weak, and I know exactly what you are going through.

In any case, any swelling, should be seen by your vet.

The main causes can be:

-foreign objects, such as broken glass, thorns, etc. They can be anywhere in the foot of your cat, especially when this comes into contact with the ground.

-some cats may have swelling after they being declawed. In this case, you can notice discharge as well.

This usually happens to outdoor cats.

Did you notice something like discharge?

If you did, I think that you know what to do. 

Hi everyone,And Mima, dear, I hope that you listened to everyone’s advice, that you took your cat to the vet, and that she is going to be alright. I hope it was nothing serious, just like a foreign object or something like that. Overgrown toenails and infections can be really nasty, I hope that that wasn’t the case. I mean, those things would be easy to see on her paw. And I’m guessing she didn’t break her bone because you would definitely hear her reaction to that. Say hi to your cat for me, I hope that she is feeling better. :)

Hey there everyone.

This can happen to dogs and cats all the time. I think that, in your case, it is something that is in the paw of your cat. I think that she is probably running in the yard, or somewhere else. I don’t know, but I had this situation with my cat as well and I know what I am talking about :)

Of course, when this happened to me, I went to see my vet immediately, because I was really scared of some infection. You should stop this to happen, and this is the only way.

I believe that this is nothing serious :)

Hello guys.
From my experience with cats, swollen paw is a very common issue. I don’t have a cat right now but I do have a lot of experience because I’m a big cat lover.
Swollen paw can be caused by something very serious. I don’t want to scare you but even cancer can be the cause of swollen paw. You need to make sure that that’s not the case by taking your cat to the vet asap.
On the other hand, this could be something trivial. As you may know cats’ paws are very sensitive. When they run and play they could get some in injury but that is nothing you should be worried about.

There are so many things that can cause swollen paws.
It’s not useful to discuss it over the internet.

Like someone above explained, it can be something harmless like some injury that’s not at all serious.

Even if this is the case, the vet needs to see the paw to determine if the injury is serious or not.

And there is also a possibility that it’s something much more serious and I don’t want to talk about it, cause I believe your cat’s going to be fine.

Let us know what did the vet say and if the paw is still swollen.