Good day everyone. I am hoping that I am going to find some pet lovers in here, especially cat lovers that can help me with my problem. I had this little cat. I don’t know what breed she is, but her hair is a little bit longer. Yesterday she was playing in my yard and I notice that she started to vomit. I came to see what is going on with her and I saw that she is vomiting hairballs. I never saw this before. Can you tell me is this normal? If it is, what are the remedies for treating that? Thank you!  

Hello. First, I want to tell you that there is no reason for you to be worried a lot. That is normal process and it is very common in cats. There are so many commercial cat foods that can help you in preventing and controlling hairballs in your cat. Most of those diet programs have very high volume of fiber because we all do know that fiber can help in keeping the gastrointestinal tract moving totally normally. They usually work for a lot of cats, but for some cats those foods are not effective. That is why you need to consult someone.

Hi there.

Well, there no are so many reasons for you to be worried :)

But you need to react very soon when this happens because you don’t want some complications to happen, right?

Now, the best remedy is the proper diet program and good food.

For example, olive oil can help you in treating it.

There is no that much logic in this – just add some olive oil in your cat’s food, food that you are giving to her all the time.

Repeat this process and I am sure that you will see some progress very soon.

Good luck!

Hey there. Well, you should definitely invest in a good and very quality hairbrush. Than you should brush your cat’s fur daily just to decrease the amount of hair that is ingested. That is one of the options. Canned pumpkin is also good because it can help hairballs to pass all the way through your cat’s system. Listen to me what to do. Mix two tablespoons of canned pumpkin to your cat’s food each day. Do this for a couple of weeks. If your cat has sensitive stomach, heat the pumpkin. I am sure that you will find this advice very helpful.

Hello all. :) My friend has a problem with her cat. She keeps vomiting hairballs too. :/ At first, it was really disturbing because the cat really seemed to feel bad while doing it. We even thought she might be sick or something, but then another friend who has cats told us that this is not so unusual among cats.

I am not familiar with any home remedies, but I know that you can buy food specially made to deal with this problem in almost every pet shop. It helps cats to easily digest those hairballs instead of just vomiting them.

Hello there.

My ex boyfriend had problem with his cat all the time. She was throwing up hairballs all the time. I believe that the first and main reason was because he didn’t brushed her hair and he didn’t clean that hair all around the house.

After that he told me that he has an amazing cure. Home cure, of course.

You can use teaspoon of butter or olive oil in your cat’s food once a twice a week.

Also, you can add half of tablespoon of Metamucil in your cat’s food daily. This will help the hairballs to pass out very easily :)

Hey Pa Pi,

There's no need to worry about this at all. You should be scared if she doesn't throw up any hairballs.

This is a normal thing in cats. They don't do this very often, but from time to time, when they eat enough of their fur to form a hairball, they need to throw it up. If they can't, because the ball is too big or something, then you have a problem and you need to buy some medications. If your cat did throw up her balls, you don't need any treatment.

If your cat can't throw them up, you can find special medications for this in pet stores.

Hi everyone,

Mia has a point, Pa Pi, if your cat throws up her hairballs, then you don't need any treatment.

If she doesn't, you need to buy a hairball product or a cat laxative. These hairball products work in a way which makes it possible for your cat to throw out the hairball while pooping. The same thing goes for laxatives, but I believe that special hairball products are better.

You do need to groom your cat on a daily basis. By doing that, you are helping both of you. And, if you want to, you can give your cat a special "hairball formula" cat food.