Hello everyone,

Gravity and age have been conspiring against me for a while now :) and I'm really unhappy with the way my eyes look. My lower eyelids have "tea bags" and my upper eyelids have lost much of their tone and just look old and tired. I came across the concept of blepharectomy in a women's magazine and have been playing the idea of having an upper and lower blepharectomy done ever since that time. I know a good plastic surgeon can do a great job on this, but I am still a bit scared. I'm worried about the pain, mainly, and about how to find the best plastic surgeon. 

Tips, anyone?

I don't have any advice to you but I am in a similar situation. I tried lots to try to make it better without surgery, all kinds of creams and serums and even an at home laser. All to no avail. I am now also at the point where I am looking to get a blepharectomy, and I have already had a consult with a plastic surgeon. Now the only thing I have to decide is when to get it done. My lower lids are worse and I initially wanted just them done but the plastic surgeon explained why it is better to have both lids done due to muscle tone, fewer wrinkles, etc. I am looking forward to the procedure but still a little apprehensive as well. It is surgery after all.

I have had it done and I am so happy that I did. The recovery was peanuts really, a few days of relaxation, and I am ecstatic about the result. It was not hard on me at all and I have so much more confidence now than I did before, with everyone saying how good I look all the time. Of course my friends and relatives know that I had it done, but I don't think most casual acquaintances have any idea. They just think that I feel happy and motivated or perhaps had some mask done or something. I do not regret this for a minute and to anyone who is considering it I say it's a very good idea.

Yeah, blepharectomy will cure issues like drooping eyelids, puffiness, bags under the eyes, excess skin, and wrinkles. You'll perhaps be relieved to hear that if you're gonna have it done for drooping eyelids your plastic surgeon will actually diagnose what's behind the drooping before they're willing to do the op. That would make me feel better, anyways. Not all causes of drooping eyelids can be fixed with a blepharectomy though and it's good to actually be aware of that before you go, rather than assuming that this is definitely the fix for you, you know? You also need to be in good basic health to qualify for the op.

So, any procedure with "ectomy" in the title means you're having things removed or cut off. "Blepharoplasty" is another term that's used, which focuses more on the reshaping than the taking off. It does reduce drooping and bagginess, but mind you, it will not get rid of any wrinkles you have and does not target dark circles under the eyes either. That's why it's often done in combination with other procedures that do target these things. Before you approach a plastic surgeon about this procedure, it's real important to get your facts straight. This procedure can be great, but only for patients who have realistic procedures. For example, the results only last five or so years.

The best candidates for lower and upper eyelid surgery are those who look older than they are and have puffy and sagging eyelids. You need to be generally healthy as well, and know what causes your sagging and puffy eyelids. That's to say, you do need to know whether or not your issues are caused by some underlying illness rather than just premature aging and you need to be in a safe state to have surgery and general anesthesia. You also need to have a very good idea about what to expect. The effects of the surgery wear off after around seven years and that is something you need to know going in.

I am glad to have found this website! I am thinking about a lower and upper blepharectomy myself. I am in San Antonio, TX and am hoping somebody here can recommend the best plastic surgeon to perform this procedure. I am 53, in good health, and have no problems with my skin except for drooping eyes and bags under my eyes. If you know the right doctor for this procedure, please leave a message here with the name and location. Thank you in advance!