Hi people

I have what some people might call "shallow eyes". I also wear contact lenses, which matters I don't know how but I think it does. Every time I use liquid eyeliner, it ends up transferring to parts of my eyelid where I don't want it, such as right above the crease line. It also gets in the inner corners of the eyes, when it stings, I start tearing, and all of a sudden it seems to be everywhere. Sometimes it takes three times to get it right. Even when it's finally good, the eyeliner still sometimes transfers to other parts of the lid later on, within the hour or so.

I want to be able to rock eyeliner like everyone else so please help me out.

Hello.

There are some ways to keep your eyeliner looking good:

• Use a fast drying waterproof eyeliner.
  • Use primer prior to applying it.
  • Use a decent brand, nothing cheap.
  • Not blinking while you wait for your eyeliner to dry, or doing anything else for that matter.
  • To prevent eyeliner from smudging near your inner corners, just don't put any eyeliner in that area.

Basically, you are looking for two things, and that is a good application technique and a decent product. Waterproof liners last much longer without a doubt. You do need a waterproof eye makeup remover to go along with that though.

I just started a thread about eyeliner hacks and then saw this one. It's not the same topic but related, so perhaps you can take a look at my topic as well?

I have this as well, the transfer issue, but not too often. I absolutely prefer a liquid liner with a very thin and long brush as well, and I am not sure if I have any tips for you but my eyeliner just doesn't go all over like you say. I do have experience with the need to remove it over and over again because I have trouble getting my eyes to look the same on both sides. I take a q-tip and remove only the wing, then try again. Often you have to redo the foundation as well.

I do have some tips here as it happens. First off, one thing I read somewhere that really does work is after you are done with your eyeliner, lightly dust it with a layer of eye shadow in a similar colour, and you'll find that "sets" the eyeliner and makes it last a lot longer. You can buy them tiny brushes for this. Instead you can also take a really thin brush and make it wet, then dip it in whatever eye shadow colour you would like and line your eyes with this. That way you have access to way more colour choices and it also, well, it doesn't last longer but if it does fade some, it will look less messy for sure.

I agree that stopping your eyeliner from transferring isn't too hard, depending on your eye shape. It is a matter of using a primer, letting your eyeliner dry, for about 30 seconds, before opening your eyes again, and yes, using a waterproof eyeliner as well. If you want, you can use an eyeliner sealer as well.

If the issue is that your upper eyelid is drooping over the part where you apply your liner, then you might want to look into upper eyelid surgery if this really bothers you. I am not sure if fillers could also help in this area, but I guess not.

What you can do is sit down, with a lighted mirror ideally, at a desk, and then apply your liner. It is much less messy that way than if you are trying to apply liner standing up in front of a bathroom mirror. If you are a total noob, then make dots first and connect them later. Give them plenty of time to dry.

Some liners seem to take ages longer to dry than others so having the right liner makes a difference as well, a big one. I'd get a more expensive one and also consider gel rather than liquid. I am pretty much in love with that.

I have this problem as well, with some liners more than with others, and it's always just the one eye it happens to - that eye is more, don't know, droopy I guess? Anyway, what I do find is that setting it with an eyeshadow is of help. But if one particular liner just isn't working for you, the first thing I would be doing is try out different liners. You don't have to buy them right away, just go try them out and see if any others are better for you. Regardless, if you do find a better liner, still do the whole primer and setting routine and that will definitely help you out with the smudging some.

I wanted to come back and say a little more about the surgery. Of course nobody gets surgery to make their eyeliner stay on. If you do have drooping eyes though, that is called ptosis and if you have not always had it but developed it recently, there could be more at stake than your eyeliner. There could be underlying medical issues. Because you mentioned wearing contact lenses I immediately thought of that. Anyway, I'd get that checked out if I were you.

It's a bit of a stretch from sticking eyeliner to surgery, no?

I have noticed some wayward eyeliner myself before and I really did find that it was a matter of applying it wrong. That is to say, some liners take ages to dry and some are runny. These are usually the cheaper brands. If you have a decent eyeliner on your hands (or was that eyes?), you'll be a lot better off and though it will cost a bit more, it's certainly less than a wasted trip to a plastic surgeon's consulting room!

"Doctor, doctor, my eyeliner's runny!" Can you imagine it? Me neither. :)