Hello. I usually come to this site to find information about cats or to ask questions about them. I also have a dog whom I love very much but I don’t usually have question regarding his health or anything because he has simply always been a healthy dog. These days he has had troubles digesting his food. I don’t know why is this happening, but I think that it has something to do with some cheese he had found in the garbage. Do you have any suggestions, what should I feed him with while he has a sick stomach? Thanks :)

Hi Oshikuru,

At least you know what probably caused the upset stomach in your dog, I bet it's that cheese.

I'm only worried because you said "these days" and stomach problems usually last only for a day or two.

I would recommend that you do one of these two things: You can stop giving your dog food for a day and provide him with enough clean water in the meantime. This will help his stomach to heal.

The second thing would be to feed him with rice and boiled water for a day, because this combination is very good at treating and calming your dog's stomach. :)

Hey there Oshikuru.

Tell me, for how many days your dog has this problem? Because if he has stomach problems more than three days, well this could be problem.

Here is what you can do. Make a warm rice water by straining the water after cooking very small amount of uncooked rice in in very large amount of water. Now, you need to boil and stir one cup of rice and one quart of water. Cook it for about 20 minutes.

You can give it warm or cold to your dog. Also, pumpkin, bananas, oatmeal  and sweet potatoes are good food for sick stomach in dogs.

Hey there.

With proper food I am sure that you are going to heal your dog’s stomach.

You should feed him with simple food.  For example, boiled shredded chicken whit white rice is just fine. I am not going to repeat how much mashed pumpkin is good in this case.

You need to feed him with small amounts rather than full meal.

Add water to every food that you are giving to your dog because you don’t want your dog to dehydrate, right? Dehydration can happen very often when your dog has sick stomach.

Observe what is going on with your dog while he is on this diet program.

Hey everyone,

I don't know what you guys do, but when my furry friend is having a sick stomach, I usually decide for one out of two things. If my dog is not showing hunger, I don't give him anything to eat. I just leave him like that for a day with plenty of water to drink and then start with some easy food.

If my dog is showing hunger, I treat him with boiled chicken and white rice, just like Carla said.

Your dog shouldn't have a sick stomach for more than a day or two. If he does, it's the alarm to take him to the vet.

Hey everyone.

My dogs also doesn’t want to eat a lot when they have sick stomach. Actually, every one of them are refusing to eat. They just drink water, so I am trying to give them fresh and clean water all the time.

The best cure is to leave him without food for next 24 hours. Don’t force him to eat anything. After one day you can start to give him some light foods such as chicken, rice, turkey and of course, a lot of water.

I remember that my vet gave my dog a dose of Pepto Bismol to coat the stomach. It was helpful.

Hi guys.

I believe that you should not feed you dog for 12 hours when he has sick stomach. The very important thing is how you are going to prepare his first meal. I suggest you to boil pot of rice and to make at least 4 cups of boiled rice. You can give him only rice, but you can mix pumpkin in it as well.

Please, don’t use microwave bagged rice – it has oil in it.

I have heard for Pepto Bismol tablet, but one thing you should know about it – it can turn your dog’s stool into black color.

Hey everyone,

I would normally just leave my dog without food for a day. It won't hurt him, I mean, he won't be starving or anything because when he has a sick stomach, it is hard for him to eat anything you give him anyway so no worries about that.

After that single day, your dog should be feeling better but you can start feeding him with some light food, easy food for the stomach.

You wrote about your dog who has a sick stomach and disappeared afterwards. You are kind of responsible to give a feedback to the people who helped you out with their posts by telling them how is your dog feeling now.