I am currently on 900 mg of Gabapentin. When I was on a lower dose, I did not experience any averse side effects while drinking alcohol. However, I have been on 900 mg for almost 4 months now, and first tried drinking last night. Let me tell you, it was a mistake. The night ended with me blacking out and waking up in a bathtub, laying in my own vomit and with cuts in my mouth. I could not recall anything that happened in the previous 2 hours, or how I even got into a bathtub. Before gabapentin, I would never have blacked out on such a small number of shots. It is not worth it. Trust me. 

Seriously, I have been on Gabapentin for 3 months because of Shingles.  I drink red wine every night and had gone to my first party last weekend and probably consumed two beers and a bottle of wine over the course of 7 hours.  Never have experienced anything all these posts are describing.  I take 300 mg 3 times a day.  And 10 mg of Lexapro every morn. Also 5-10 mg of Zolpidem to sleep at night. I only went on this site to see if alcohol lessened the effects of the drug as it seems it is taking an awful long time for my shingles to subside (the neuralgia, rash looks like a sunburn on my forehead and eye now).  The kicker is I do not like having to take drugs every day but apparently I have had one of the worst case of Shingles and am going on 4 months now.  I was getting ready to wean off my Lexapro when this happened so now I have to wait for the all clear from the Dr.
I can't believe all the side effects people are having. I guess I am one of the lucky ones.

Sounds like none of you who had a bad experience used moderation. If it enhances the affects of alcohol, drink less you numbnuts, it's a good thing...

So, I am taking gabepentin for 2 reasons; 1)I've been diagnosed with MS for 8 years and experience pretty constant nerve pain, and 2) I have been taking hydrcodone for 5 years and found that I wanted it a little too much and a little too often and the gabepentin has almost completely stopped those urges :-)(thank god).

Yesterday I went to Walmart with a friend and bought a bottle of arbor mist to have a glass of wine. Well later in the evening I had a SMALL bit of arbor mist, Im talking like, less than a shot glass and arbor mist has like NO alcohol in it already. My husband and kids and I left to get Halloween costumes and I completely blacked out. My husband woke me up and my kids were eating burger king and I had no recollection of the stop. He told me that they were trying to wake me up and my daughter asked if I was going to be ok :-(. My husband said it was scary and my body just swayed back & forth as he drove and they tried to wake me up. I have learned my lesson definitely. I cant be friends with alcohol AND gabepentin, so I choose gabepentin ;-) .

Other than that incident, I've been feeling great. Although, I seem to be sleepy alot, but this is only my 3rd day, so maybe I just need to get accustomed to it :-).

The button you're looking for is right next to the "A" key.

This is my fourth day on GABA and I drank on my second day not thinking about it I had 4 shots and was fine. Today I am having a glass of wine hence me bring on this site and I feel a little buzz half way through one glass. I'm only on 300 mg once a day but the GABA is working (I have fibro/RA) hope I dont have the issues some of y'all have had but I like my happy hour ;-)

i have just started neurotonin for shingles and wondered about drinking alcohol as it says nothing on the information leaflet . glad i got on to this site.

wanna take 200 gabapentin and wsah them down with whiskey. wil this do me?

STRONGLY recommend NO alcohol with this combo. I too got sick with just a very small amount of alcohol combined with gabapentin. Toss ambien in and you are looking for trouble. They both affect same receptors in your brain as alcohol.

everyone on this page sounds as if they are 20 to 26 years old .....waz up wit dat????????????????????????????????

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0376871605003157

i am 44  been on it fer 5 yrs   for  CRPS  and drink in the evenigs ,  no troubles 

guess we are all diferent 

I have been on the maximum dose of Gabapentin for 10 years.  Recently, I've taken to drinking a lot of alcohol (whiskey, vodka, gin...) as gabapentin on it's own does not help the constant pain I've had for 22 years.  I don't know if it's doing me any harm, and am past caring.

You've got that right, I am taking about 1800 mg of gabapentin, I thought I would have two glasses of wine before dinner. I was fine, but the next day I could not remember cooking supper. I made Pad Thai, a very complex one at that. I wasn't drunk, nothing like that, just could not remember at all. I have a good memory, this is weird. It isn't worth it because gabapentin to me just kills any other high.

After reading many of these personal testomonials, I am responding to this one as most acturate. I did not drive for over a month after having double cervical surgery (Front for c2,c3c4 fusion w/cadeaver bone inplant)(Back for c5,c5,c7 fusion with mechanical device) they started me gabapentin in the hospital while they were also givng two or three different pain medications(pain killers) vicodin, hydrocodon, and morphine via pump/IV. I was hallucinating(sic) by the time I left the hospital, then after a month of post -op rest and recuperation, I went home, not having consumed alcohol for about six weeks. Trust these words: two or three beer and I was as inebrated as if I had chugged a six pack! Be very careful with alcohol if taking this drug.

I was in detox a few years ago from drinking too much alcohol, and when I left one of the workers there told me I should try Gabapentin and gave me a prescription for it, but I wasn't exactly sure why. I've read that Gabapentin can be helpful in reducing alcohol cravings and also pain. I thought that it might be a good idea to start taking it after I read about it because I am an alcoholic and staying sober is often hard for me to do. I need all the help I can get! The only problem was that once I started taking it I had really bad diarrhea. This doesn't seem to be one of the common side effects of the drug, so I thought that maybe I had an allergic reaction or an adverse effect somehow. Has anyone else experienced any odd side effects while taking the drug and not drinking alcohol? I've heard really good things about Gabapentin and I want to give it another try.