I have just been subscribed gabapentin for nerve spasms in my abdomen. It's coming to Christmas and I am scared to try drink alcohol for the pure fact I don't know what it's going to do to me I can normally go out spend £60easily and be fine... It appears by reading posts that drinking on this drug effects different people in different ways, so I guess just having a beer at Christmas will give me an indication

i just received my dosage of 400mg by mail. i was prescribed to take twice a day to reduce the urge for alcohol as i am a daily drinker. i really wish to only be like a weekend drinker instead of daily. trying to avoid liver disease.. ive only taken one does about 2hrs ago. i wonder if itll give me some type of high. im really trying to stop drinking dail

I took gabapentin regularly 600mg 3 times a day for almost a year until i realized it was inducing suicidal thoughts and depression. In the time I was on it I had drank once. Had about 5-6 beers and I didn't get overly buzzed or anything the opposite actually but I woke up with a killer hang over. Which as long as  I drink a glass or water or some tea before i pass out I never get hangovers even with drinking 6 pints or like half of a fifth.

Just been prescribed Gabapentin for restless leg 300mg going up to 900mg, this on top of 400mg tramadol along with other tablets, I like to have a drink (well, more than one). Sh****g myself now. Might have been a better idea to stay uncomfortable

my husband took his first 100mg tablet tonight 12/01/14 he's had a little cider. 30mins ago he hit the deck and was unconscious for a minute or a minute and a half. please skip the alcohol this has only just happened and he's taking it for back pain not for epilepsy which is more serious.

don't drink alcohol x

I have the same problem. I've been taking Gabapentin for years. I take it in the morning and at night. If I take it in the morning and drink at night I have no problem as long as I don't take the night dose. If I drink and take the meds soon after, I vomit my guts out. It's a c**p shoot for me. Drinking+no Gabapentin =feeling horrible. Neuropathic pain all night and feel like sh*t in the morning. I basically have to make the decision "Do I drink and feel like sh*t, or not drink and have the benefits of the gabapentin. PS Gabapentin doesn't make me tired....I have the worst insomnia!

After years of having episodes of horrendous reactions to drinking more than I intended as well as pretty scary reactions between alcohol and prescription medication I came to he conclusion that alcohol is just not worth it. The older we get the more sensitive the body becomes to its effects. It is unpredictable. I became enraged and called my adult son a couple of names (after he was screaming at me ) after drinking 3 glasses of wine. It intensifies emotions and can lead to some pretty weird behavior. I wondered why I just don't leave it alone. Then I realized that it doesn't kick my bottom every time! Well, if I was in a relationship and every now and then the person kicked my behind it would be called an abusive relationship. Those who love me would tell me to get away. I would say, "But he only hurts me on occasion." That is nuts! So, I look at alcohol the same way. I do not grieve the loss of the relationship. I say good by to an abusive one. The gabapentin and restoril are prescriptions intended to help me sleep. Alcohol interferes with this. Mixing the two causes a scary rapid heart rate and guaranteed insomnia. It is all a dangerous game and I am glad I survived. That is amazing grace.

Wikipedia report (so it must be true, haha),  during studies there are no known issues with alcohol whilst taking the drug. However, that is not to say that previous posts have not offered good advice.

My son was given gabapentin for back pain he drank vodka one night ,not a big drinker or drug user .He died that night.He was 42 with 3 kids.My life is over and his children will grow up without knowing how wonderful their dad was

And Me..I think Ive got to a good, nice place....after nearly 7 years of SHITE...........x

Im the same...........same drugs etc....3 months and I am good...like being stoned LOL x

I've done it twice in 3 yrs and got SICK. I took my.6am then 2 pm.dose. Started.drinking at 8 had 4 beers then at 1.am took my 10pm dosage HUGE mistake!.

My husband has been taking Gaba for a few years now after having a neck fusion.  A few months ago he began getting mad at everything I said.  I got the feeling that he hated me and after 23 years of a very happy marriage I was thinking about where else I could live.  He drinks regularly on Gaba.

I eventually looked on line and saw all the comments about not drinking while on this medication and told my husband about the side effects.  He's still drinking. 

It says nothing on the enclosed leaflet about alcohol so that leads you to assume it has no effect. The people who had bad experiences only found out after so I think your comment is unwarranted, unhelpful and unnecessary.