I have been on gabapentin for quite a while now and it has cost me a lot of heart-ache,I found it great to begin with feeling more relaxed with the world than ever before(I nearly took my life the yr before)now i find that it totally rules my life making me very emotional,very cold especially during the night and first thing in the morning also i've now noticed that even if i have a few drinks in the morning i cant remember eating,speaking to friends,writing things on social websites etc.Iam actually very angry that the doctor would put me on these tablets in the first place knowing my state of mind beforehand.I would never recommend these tablets to anyone!!!!!!!!!

Do you have peripheral neuropathy?, what do you take them for?

I am in agreement about the not drinking with this. I'm on 300 mg a night and used to drink daily, but anything more than a single beer and I feel horrible. Both times I was vomiting uncontrollably a night and feeling very sick for days afterwards. Ive also started to notice a pain deep in my stomach. It's going to have to be a decision about whether i want to drink or take gabapentin, but not both. it just isnt a good idea. It will be hard though because ive been drinking daily for years

That can be a liver problem, I would get it checked out. A simple test.

what happens if I DANK ALCOHOL WHEN TAKING GABAPENTIN

Don't do it! I tried and it turned ugly, not violent, but bouncing off the walls, and a black out. Stay away. Be afraid of your life.

DO NOT DRINK ALCOHOL WHILST TAKING GABAPENTIN!

Only been on Gabapentin for a short while for sciatica. Last night after a few glasses of wine over a long period of time with my boyfriend I apparently was a completely venomous b***h (I'm just not like that) but I'm at a total loss as to what I actually said, whatever it was, looks like he can't forgive me & it's over. I had been OK on the same amount of alcohol before but had recently upped my dose & not factored that in, silly girl. Scary to behave so appallingly with anyone, let alone someone you love & then not be able to piece together what happened. Spoke to my doctor & am coming off meds gradually over the next few weeks, all those horrible withdrawal symptoms to look forward to now, but I'd rather have those or be in pain than take something that made me so nasty. 

Didn't help me sleep at night either, keep getting the shakes, acting like a complete ditz & have been so cold all the time I have to keep having hot baths to try & warm up. Wish I'd done some serious research before I started taking Gabapentin. The side effects (see list below) are not worth the pain relief they gave me. 

Incidentally, I also have Fibromyalgia & since taking Gabapentin it has helped a little some persistent cramps, but again not enough reason to take it. 

Gabapentin Side Effects:

• Dizziness, vertigo• Fatigue and or tiredness• Unsteadiness or incoordination• Abnormal thinking, anxiety, hostility, confusion, amnesia, • Depression, suicidal thoughts, mood changes• Fluid accumulation in feet, edema of face or extremities• Digestive distress, indigestion, loss of appetite, gas, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea• Dry mouth, dental problems, gingivitis• Blurred vision, double vision, unusual eye movements (nystagmus)• Headache• Withdrawal seizures (never stop gabapentin suddenly!)• Blood disorders• Skin rash (alert your M.D. immediately if this occurs!)• Upper respiratory tract infections, fever• High blood pressure• Palpitations• Tremor, jerky movements• Joint pain, joint stiffness, arthritus

I also am taking Gabapentin for the pain left by Shingles. This was my fourth time having shingles and never before had the neuralgia afterward. This is worse than actual shingles. I took Neurontin about nine years ago for pain from buldgeing disks in my neck. I was taking very high dose at the time. Had no problem tapering off the med when I wanted to see if retiring and not sitting at a desk in front of a computer would help. It sure did!! I just started the med yesterday and will increase the dosage from 300 mg a day to 900 a day. I just got on this site tonight to see if I dare have a glass of wine. I had no problems when I was taking Neurontin. After reading all the posts I don't know if I should... I have no problem getting to sleep. I also take Cymbalta. I started breaking out with shingles about the second week of November. Blisters dried up fairly quickly but this nerve pain is like nothing I've ever had to deal with. I also have MS but having no problms with that.

I would strongly advise against drinking any alcohol, simply not worth chancing it. The repercussions of my doing it have caused such heartache for me. I'm not even going to have a sniff of any until I'm completely off the Gabapentin. Hope your neuralgia improves.

I have been on gaba for a couple of years for MS and have recently increased the dose.  I still drink but it doesn't take too much to make me drunk.  In am in my early 50s and thought it was just my age but I think all the other posts are right ... the gabapentin makes you drunk so much faster so be very careful!!!

I agree, don't drink while using gabapentin! I drank and was thinking of what I was able to drink before, so I didn't think there would be a problem.....................WRONG!!!!!!!! My wife thought I was crazy and called 911, I don't remember any of it, until I woke up in the hospital. I guess I was rude as well, so far away from my normal attitude. Rest assure I won't be drinking any time soon! Gabapentin does a good enough job for that anyway! Take care!

I started taking 600 mg of gabapentin starting at the end of Oct. 2012.  I haven't had a drink of alcohol since being on it, but was missing having one and thinking about it till I read these posts! Thanks for the input, everyone...better safe than sorry!

I've been taking this since October, and I can tell you that when you drink on this it will get you SLOPPY. It won't kill you, but you'll get way more drunk than usual, and it will happen much faster.  A few drinks on it won't be that big of a deal, but if you're drinking heavily then it will get you nice and rowdy. 

on gaba for a year now luv beer still here....just saying ...oh btw as  i type....i have MS i walk funny any way .

I also had blackouts when I had some wine after starting to take three 100 mg a day. It is not worth taking any alcohol as I felt really tired and buzzed all the next day.