I removed all four of my wisdom teeth, two which were impacted, six days ago. (Last Wednesday.)

I'm wondering when I can begin wearing my retainers again. I just began wearing them a couple of weeks ago, up to a month ago, so I'm worried that my teeth will shift. I've tried putting them in multiple times, but my mouth can't open up wide enough to get them in. I'm supposed to wear them all day for three months straight.

I think the reason why I can't open my mouth wide enough to get them in is because I haven't removed the stitches yet. The doctor stitched up at least three of the holes, as the doctor had to make three incisions to remove three wisdom teeth (including the two impacted ones) that didn't break out of the gums.

My teeth and gums are still quite sensitive, but not so sensitive that I don't think that I can't wear my retainers. However, I still have bruises that flare up whenever I try to swallow my food and drinks - two on my right cheek, one on my left cheek. You can barely see the bruises, and they're slowly recovering each day.

So, to cut the long story short: When can I begin wearing my retainers again? Should I start wearing them again after I get the stitches removed? Should I wear the temporary retainers (clear, plastic) instead, since I can get those in my mouth with a bit of difficulty?

Thanks for answering!

I just started wearing mine. And it has been 4 days, i feel more pressure, because i didnt wear four days straight. I suggest you use them if you are comfortable. I also got a bit worried that my teeth shifted. The ibky did a little. Although it hurts that my retainers are putting ppressure, im only putting them on for twi days at night then again all day. I say put the clear one because i think the wired ones make yo. Bleed mire since they have hooks

hiii...

exactly the same situation I had and similar question when it comes to my wisdom tooth extraction. As soon as I removed one of my wisdom teeth, I asked my dentist when I can continue wearing my retainers again. He told me that I can wear it as long as it doesn't bother me. As soon as I start felling that it bothers me, I should remove it. But you have to be careful because you really don't want it to come in the contact with the wounds. That can be really problematic and I don't want to think how it can be painful...