Hi everybody. I noticed a white spot on my tonsil two weeks ago. It scared me a lot so I went to er and they gave me amoxicillin saying it was some sort of infection. But, even after I have finished therapy they prescribed, it is still there. It looks just the same - Not any bigger or smaller. I am freaking now because I think I might have throat cancer!! I am not a drinker or smoker, but I am overweight who’s trying to lose some of it. Does anybody have some advice?? Please help.

Tonsils are small masses of lymphatic tissue on both sides of the back of the mouth. They help fighting bacteria and viruses entering through the throat by producing antibodies to fight them. Therefore, they contain many pits and pockets (crypts). Sometimes, these pockets become impacted with white foul-smelling debris that is composed of bacteria and dead cells. I think that is the case with you. If that so, then antibiotics can’t cure you. Also, the white spots themselves should not cause any problems, unless infected, of course. The only treatment that can cure you is a tonsillectomy. You could try irrigating them daily with water-pik and try keeping it very clean. Hope that helps.