Hello there,

I have a bit of an awkward question. My daily makeup consists of foundation, blush, mascara, and a little bit of eyebrow pencil. I'll often add eyeshadow as well, but not every day. I do use one of those makeup removal wipes before I go to sleep. By the time I am done with them, they are all black and orange from the foundation and mascara. You'd think my face would be clean after that, but no: I always, always, always wake up with mascara under my eyes, like, like someone who had been crying with makeup on. I normally shower just in the morning but I tried showering right before bed and still I have mascara under my eyes in the morning.

Can anyone help me solve the mystery?

Well, that's weird. LOL.

One thing you have to think about is that makeup is so much better and longer lasting now than it was even a few years ago. Something that is made to withstand rain and crying isn't going away when you throw a cleanser at it once at night, when you are really tired and have perhaps had a few beers. I always use makeup removal wipes twice or even three times for that reason. If the second layer still looks reasonably dirty, there is going to be more and you need to do it a third time.

For eye makeup, you need oil based eye makeup removers that are made for that area. Again, do it twice if you need to. If you are the type that usually goes for wipes either choose one with oil or put it on a cotton pad and then remove your makeup gently. And do the eyemakeup removing first because your face will only get dirty again otherwise.

Hahahaha, those "raccoon eyes" are probably familiar to anyone who has ever used mascara, especially the waterproof ones that are harder to get off at night. You will either need an eye makeup remover that's there just for waterproof products, or you need to use oil. Gently rub oil (any oil, like argan oil for instance) onto your eyes with a cotton pad. Then, follow it up with more cotton pads. Wipe your eyes clean with a clean cotton pad, try again with more oil, and try with a clean pad again. You're done when no more gunk comes off onto the pads. Works for me.

Hiya,

So I don't wear a ton of eye makeup myself but I did come across this article about how to remove eye makeup completely recently (had a big night out). The first thing it said (music to my ears, LOL) was that you actually don't need to be buying an eye makeup remover at all, but that you can simply use your daily moisturizer or skin oil instead. So you take one of those cotton squares for makeup and put whatever you moisturize your skin with on there. You don't need to use a lot of it, mind you, yeah, a little will do the trick. Then press that stuff onto your eyes. The trick is to keep it there for a few minutes to let it soak, as it were. Then you just use the part of the cotton square you didn't put moisturizer on to rub the makeup off, gently. Once no more is coming off, you're done. And that's it. 

I tried this out and it worked pretty well for me. I was amazed, actually. I have to admit that I also took a cotton bud, you know the ones you use for your ears, and cleaned the corners of my eyes and right above the lashes where the eyeliner goes as well as under the lower lashes. 

I swear I'm never going back to actual eye makeup removers. 

I like Bioderma Crealine H2O ultra mild no rinse face and eye cleaner myself. It is soap free and has cucumber extract so it is especially good if you don't want to upset your skin. It works great for waterproof products around the eyes bit also for the rest of your makeup. It's not often you find a one in all solution for everything, so I swear by this product because I need to wear a full face of makeup for work every day and this just takes everything off without any effort. I don't wake up with eyemakeup around my face ever, so it is obviously doing what it should be.

HTH.

Celebrity

Watch it — sleeping with eye makeup on regularly will create problems for your skin, even if you tried to remove it but part of it stayed on. I have very light and sensitive skin, and I have noticed problems immediately even after one night. Sleeping with eye makeup on can cause puffiness, eye infections, bumps on the inner part of your eyelid which can be very painful, clogged pores, and premature aging. I would advise you to get any reputable eye makeup remover and to go through your removal process twice. Close your eyes, and press the cotton pad with your remover onto the skin for several minutes, making a gentle downward motion to get it off. Repeat, and then wash your face with water after you are done. This is really a matter of being diligent about the cleansing process.

I have had terrible reactions to eye makeup removers in the past. I am now using Makeup Forever Sens'Eyes - Waterproof Sensitive Eye Cleanser and it is doing the job for me. It is a mineral eye makeup remover that is gel based and oil free. The good thing is that it doesn't just clean the skin. It also soothes and moisturizes the eyelids, which I really needed. It was recommended to me by my optician believe it or not (I wear lenses as well). You use it by soaking a cotton pad with it and applying it to the eyelid without rubbing. You can also apply it with your fingers and then remove it with a cotton pad.

Dunno, I mean I ain't got the clearest skin in town but yeah, I do occasionally end up sleeping with makeup on and it don't seem to do my skin much harm in the long run. But yeah, I do like the method of pressing a pad into your eyes gently for a while, which is relaxing and gets rid of all the gook on your eyes. Simple can be better. And yeah, use the oil to get the stuff of and I think that's the best way to get eye makeup and other stuff off without inflaming your skin. Do you really think not taking makeup off causes early wrinkles and stuff though? I mean I know it clogs the pores if you do it every night, yeah, but wrinkles? Really?

Celebrity
Wrinkles? Absolutely! I read this report where a woman who usually always removed her makeup at the end of the day experimented with sleeping with makeup on for a whole month. There were before and after pictures. The after pictures were terrible. She had visibly more wrinkles than before, as well as having extreme redness on the cheeks. The woman also reported itchy eyelids and swelling. If there is anything I learned from that report, it was to always remove makeup and to never, ever apply makeup right over old makeup without cleaning it first.

So, micellar water has basically changed my life! I use la roch posay physiological micellar solution and as long as - and pay attention because this bit matters - as long as you do not use water proof eye makeup, it works fantastically. I am betting that you use water proof mascara and that's why you're waking up with it under your eyes. That stuff is just hard to remove period, because duh, that is what it was made for, too last forever. Micellar water doesn't irritate the skin and you do not have to rinse it, which should help you feel ok with using it... no need to worry about inflaming your eyes.