Hello this is my first post. So I just got my Gallbladder out last week. How long should I wait to start working out at the gym?. I love weightlifting. The truth is I went today to the gym and just did a little bit of weights only my chest and shoulders, but feel like maybe I should wait longer. My follow up is next week to see my surgeon so he will probably tell me how long to wait. He said not to work out for a while when I was coming out of my anesthesia, but I can not recall everything that was said to me that time. I have searched the internet for answers and saw this site to be the best one for questions. Thanks.

I also had mine removed due to Gallbladder disease which I had since 2000 and never knew of it. I had pains here and there but not bad enough to go to the hospital. Anyways on 12/12/09 I was rushed to the ER because of the persistant pain and had my surgery on 12/14/09. I am still recovering and wondering the same question as your. So here I send you some of the info I had researched so far. Good luck to you and wish you well.

Sincerely,
Dalia

I know this is old but to let others know, it's best to really wait at least 4 weeks, even 2 months. You have stitches internally that needs healing (in areas that don't get as much blood supply as others, so takes longer to heal), and the abdominal incision above bellybutton is weaker (hernia is possible).
If you feel great at 4 weeks, it doesn't mean internally you're 100%. More than likely that will take about 8 months. Don't be discouraged, you can start to exercise and lift weights again around 4-6 weeks, but you have to start slow and with very light weights. Don't do anything that requires flexing the midsection much. I know that sucks and you will gain fat there, but better to deal with that for 6 months than require a restitch and longer healing process.