my family is having an argument.

DDR (Dance Dance Revolution) is a game that requires you to have certain stamina as you use your feet to follow arrow patterns.

One of the tougher songs (mega-experts only) is called Max300.

It is called this because it is 300 beats per minute, which translates to 5 beats per second.

you are stepping 5 times per second!!!

now, this song lasts for 1:32, but the actual game time is a little less because of the few seconds before the arrows appear, etc.

the game intensity is varied, with a humanly impossible stream of fast foot placement followed by much less, letting you ALMOST catch a breath before fast foot spriniting starts again.

(THERE IS A POINT TO THIS POST)

now, my family is arguing over whether jogging every day, which is an aerboic activity, would aid stamina in playing max300, which is a "go-beyond-your-fastest-sprinting-limits, throw-up-before-you-finish" kinda song. (the ULTIMATE anaerobic excercise- air cant catch up to you).

does anyone know?

(and dont post if all you know about DDR is the people you saw playing on light mode at the mall, stepping about once every 4 seconds. its another universe entirely.)

I really don't know much about DDR, but I think doing 100M sprints would help on getting your feet closer to being able to move that fast. 150 strides per minute (5 steps / sec. X 60 sec = 300 steps / 2 = 150 strides / min.) is way faster than jogging/running and much closer to sprinting.

Welcome to the forums! :wavey:

It's a completely different kind of workout, I think. Even sprinting wouldn't be quite the same. In high school I ran cross country and track but still got winded playing full court basketball.

thanx for the answers and the welcome.

it kind of reminds me of a clip I watch on Paula Radcliffe. Her physiologist (I think...I pretty sure it wasn't coach/husband) noticed that Paula's "step-up" (almost like step aerobics) was not only slower than other elite runners, but slower than an average person. She worked hours a day on drills to improve this and voila-----you know the rest of the story.

I used to do alot of drills in the winter......I'm a slacker these days :(