Our bodies are complex systems, and conceiving a baby depends on a large number of factors. So, how can you increase your chances? What can we do to invite that stork to our homes? Apart from having intercourse at the right time, just before and during your ovulation, there are actually many things you can do to boost fertility. We've prepared a list of the Top 10 natural fertility boosters for you.
1) Eat a healthy and balanced diet.
If you are not sure what that means, go and see a nutritionist. If you know what you should be eating (generally foods from all major food groups), but you are worried that you don't have enough time to cook healthily, rest assured that healthy meals do not have to take ages to prepare. With a bit of meal planning, you can most meals can be ready in 30 minutes or less. Cut out trans fats as much as possible, and go easy on refined sugar.
2) Make sure you have a healthy body mass index (BMI).
Being obese harms your fertility, as does being underweight.
3) Trans fats are not the most important thing to make sure you don't indulge in. Cigarettes are way worse for your fertility. If you still smoke, stop now. Not smoking in pregnancy is essential, so it is better to stop now, while you are still trying to conceive.
4) Don't forget that it is not just the female partner's fertility that matters. Men who are trying to get their partner pregnant should also take care of their diets, and refrain from smoking and drinking.
5) This is not mean as an insult to anyone who is struggling with infertility, but being relaxed and not feeling stressed can boost the fertility of otherwise fertile women. Will stress stop you from getting pregnant? Well, there is no conclusive evidence, but it just might.
6) Don't have too much sex, especially in the weeks before ovulation. Having intercourse every day decreases a man's sperm count, which lessens the chances of conceiving during ovulation.
7) Don't have too little sex either. This can be detrimental too. Experts say that around three times a week is the best.
8) Drink alcohol in moderation. It is not necessary to give up drinking altogether. A nice glass of red wine once in a while might actually be good for you. Just don't overdo it, at all.
9) Don't use vaginal douches. There are some indications that they can put you at risk of vaginal infections that could harm your chances of getting pregnant.
10) The last one is obvious, but so important I will mention it again, any way. Make sure you know when you are ovulating, and time your intercourse accordingly. Try our ovulation calendar if you are looking to find out the approximate timing of your ovulation.