Hey guys, as you can tell from the title i am 17, i am in a relationship but i am not sexual active (yet). My issue is, when i get an erection my foreskin only opens just enough so i can see about 1cm of my head, and my slit perfectly. It doesnt open any more. It isnt painful and i masturbate daily without any problem. If i try pull foreskin back it feels weird and eventually starts to give a slight dull pain. Until about 2 weeks ago i didnt know your foreskin was meant to retract! I thought this was perfectly normal, but now im worried. Online it says your foreskin should be able to fully retract by the age of 15-16. I am 17 (18 in 4 months) and it only retracts into a tiny opening! Is there something wrong, or am i just going through puberty a bit slower?

Hi Steady,

It doesn't mean you're going through puberty slower. You need to just work on stretching the opening.

Use your fingers as best you can and spread the opening. Do this several times a day. It will be uncomfortable but you don't need to hurt yourself. Pulling back while erect is another way. Don't force it back, you need to gradually do this. Skin grows by stretching. You can use some lube or do it in the shower to make it easier.

As you do this more often it will begin to slide easier. Try to do it several times a day.

You'll also notice that your glans is very sensitive. This is normal and you will get used to it.

Hope it helps.

Thanks i was worried i had phimosis. I guess i'll try stretching it normally

Technically you do have phimosis. That doesn't mean anything is wrong. It is very common in males up to about 16. You're not much older and it is not serious.

You really do just need to stretch the foreskin.

All phimosis means is that you can't retract the foreskin past the glans.

Thanks again. I heard that you cant have sex until its resolved so i gues i'll try stretching it. What exactly shouold i do? I'll explain exactly what the situation is

When erect, the foreskin pulls open about a cm. The foreskin to the "north" and *east* of the penis seems baggy and willing to stretch, but the foreskin on the right side seems almost stuck to the head, like its too tight. Its even started to overlap the slit a bit when i try to stretch it. I feel if the foreskin to the right was a bit baggier then i would be able to retract it at least partly..

You need to widen that opening. Use your fingers to spread the end. If you can, insert them into the opening, and spread your fingers apart.

The erection method works too. Just by getting hard the skin will stretch, then slide it down as you are able and hold it there, don't force it.

A combination of stretching activities will loosen it up for you but it does take some time. The more you do it, the faster the results.

There is no reason you can't have sex. It may not be comfortable.

Since you haven't pulled your foreskin back, have you ever cleaned the smegma out from under your foreskin?

When i bathe/shower i always pull back the forskin and try to wash as much as i can under, but because the opening isnt that big i suspect there will be smegma under there. I also suspect that i could fit maybe one finger in, perhaps two. Im quite squeemish when it comes to bodily matters so im having a tough time bringing myself to do it.

Just to let you know, after a few minutes combining the erection stretching methond and finger stretching method, i can notice a tiny difference! It seems to be working. My foreskin...feels baggier. It hasnt opened anymore but it does feel less "tight". Its hard to explain, but its good!

Great. Keep doing that then. It won't happen overnight or even really in a few weeks. You should notice a big difference in a month or two, all depending upon how often you stretch.

Right now it only "feels" different. It may have opened another mm, but it may be wishful thinking. Can i ask why it wont return back to normal when i stop stretching? I dont know about how skin stretches, to be honest. What stops it form returning back to sqaure 1, so to speak, when im sleeping?

It very well may return to normal as you sleep.

Skin grows when stretched. It actually grows best when it is continually stretched. You can't obviously do that so you do it as much as you can. That's why it takes a while.

Ah. I did it for 10 minutes this morning and around 15 mins while watching TV an hour ago. If i continue at that rate it should take about a month right? Im just glad its (hopefully) working without cream. I read that if you have phimosis you need to use a steroid cream and i really dont like the idea of that.

As long as you keep working it you should be much looser in a month or so and not have to worry about any cream.

What you have is normal, remember that. Your not born with a foreskin that's loose, you need to work it. You're just helping it along now.

Thanks a lot, i am worried since my girlfriend and i are both virgins and we are probably gonna wanna have sex in a few months (been together for 3 years and furthest we have gotten is heavy kissing so far). I am definetly gonna get this sorted out before then.

I understand perfectly.

It takes some effort but the results are worth it. Maybe she could help you with the "erection method."