I dont want to go to my gp as i think i might be wasting his time. I have been getting pins and needles in my arms and hands, it seems realy bad when i go to bed and wakes me through the night on more than one occation. I feel my arm is numb and heavy and i have pins and needles in my hands and fingers, i have now taken to laying on my back just incase it was the way i was laying in bed but it still wakes me what ever why a lie down. I have to sit up for a while and excersise my arm till the circulation comes back. During the day i have had it on a few occations but it seems to be more itchy fingers or hands as if they ar swollen or i have frost bite and i have to scratch them. This problem is starting to get me down a little as i cant sleep all night and i keep putting of going to the doctors incase its nothing important.

Thanks for your help

Hi, I not so long ago suffered with the same thing but luckily enough viewed a show on TV which mentioned the most common cause of pins and needles in arms at night, as the pillow. So, I changed my pillow and with relief it immediatley dissappeared. You must remember to be aware of other causes require treatment but you could start with something simple. Good Luck!!! Girl from Oz!

What was the cause of this? Did changing pillows help? I suffer from the same thing right now and was wondering if I should see my GP.

You might try taking an asprin 1 hour before bedtime, it will thin your blood. Or try a NSAIDs non steroid anti inflamitory, (Motrin) changed my life. I'm only 39 and what a difference thinner blood makes. Better blood flow to the your arm andd hands might be all you'll need.
Now you could have some more serious like RSDS. I dont think you have RSD, but look it up, and you make the decision.

Goodluck hope my post wasnt to late for ya....

Hmmmmm............ well, if there is any way possible THE QUACK can capitalize on YOUR PAIN; he will, trust me!!! Let's see, first; he'll charge you an office visit. (at least you know that upfront) THEN, you might just need an x-ray. Of couse, you'll have to go back for another office visit to see what the x-ray shows. Then, there's about 99.9% chance you'll be put up on some type of drug with tons of side effects. And in order to take care of all those side effects of the drug he puts you on, you'll be put on 3 or 4 more drugs. CHA CHING!!!!

Hey, why do you think HMO's took over not too long ago?? But now, doctors again have found ways to make money UNDER THE TABLE......... from the drug companies.

But it's okay........ their payback is coming!!!! Just like it did when HMO's took over!!!! HMO's fixed one problem....... now somebody WILL come along & fix this connection between doctors & the drug companies. And I wouldn't mind one bit...... leading the way!!

What is sad is that people going to doctors for help, find themselves in WORSE shape after they seek so-called medical help; then they were BEFORE they went.

What really makes me angry is that every doctor that I've seen THINKS they know it all, when in reality; they don't know their head from their toe!!! I'd much rather hear from a doctor that he doesn't know but he'll find out than he knows it all but doesn't really know anything!! Simply because HE is too busy THINKING he knows it all!!!!! 8-|

I've got to say, the best doctor I ever saw was a small town country doctor. He did the one thing these "city" doctors don't ..... he listened!! And didn't go around prescribing tons of drugs. Too bad he's long since retired.

hi im a 40yo male wo suffers with a similar problem of pins and needles in fingers and hands. Went to my doctor and was referred to radiologist for cervical spine x ray. The results showed minor degenerative disc changes which apparently is normal at my age however c5 c6 levels (at back of the neck) showed up with severe disc space narrowing . I was then referred to an orthapedic surgeon who after investigations I needed an op to correct this . This will take place shortly by extracting a piece of hip bone and attaching it at the c5 c6 levels. apparently the narrowing is causing pressure on the spinal cord with the result of a painful neck and pins and needles at the extremes. So yes I would advise very much that u visit ur doc as it could be something similar and u would never be wasting his time . If u dont u could be at risk of longer term damage.
In the meantime i am attending physio for pain relief as well and this has helped with the pins and needles sensation. hope this all helps

My hands and arms started about 3 weeks ago..The doctor gave me wrist bands..no help! guess I should go back to the doctors..I think it is a pinch nerve under my shoulder blade

you should go to your gp as i suffer with the same symptoms and i am currently waiting for treatment for carpel tunnel syndrome. one way to check is to tap the inside of your wrist and if you get tingling in the ends of your fingertips then you more than likely have carpel tunnel especially if you get pains running up the centre of your hand.

This is a topic that has been search a lot... carpal tunnel is the most common lay person reply...
I aggree with the guest reply regarding cervical problem.... the choice is not limited to what he posted. It is an option.

1. One must get therapy. My choice would be a certified/diplomat craniosacral therapist who has a very very good reputation.
2. The body system must be cleaned... colon clenasing, alkalin diet, high enzyme diet dependig on the problem it should be done for art least 6
months... but if one will go back to the same way of living as before... the issue will return.
3. Hydration and gentle regular excercise to move the lymph is essential.
4. Using the back2life unit, chi nei tsung sessions also add to quick impovement.. Following a simple raw diet - especially Buttenko family will give
you success you could only dream of using surgery. It has been done... good luck.

Hi there, I think that this is a great guide to how to deal with this issue. Thank you very much for posting it. Can you explain to me what chi nei tsung is or buttenko? I haven't heard of either of them. Thanks in advance!

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carpal_tunnel_syndrome - this looks exactly like what you are describing!

I am a 37 year old female who has been woken up on a few occasions with the same thing, pins and needles and numbness of the arms from the elbow down.i have also been at the doctors for dizzyness a few days ago,which amy or may not be related.i have also had the numbness a few times during the day.just woke up not too long ago there through it happening.so decided to see if i could find anything online regarding it. i reckon its time to see the doctor again.thanks for the advice. :-)

I have the same symptoms I have just been to a Rheumatologist test since it possible autoimmune problem. Last night it was very uncomfortable I had a long list of blood test for anitgens, inflammatory signs ect... I am hoping its something like carpal tunnel but will get results July 20

cervical spine was my answer after years of the same problem

hi i have pinsand nedle in my finger and thrumand now it iscomming up my arm

i have major back surgery in march can this be comming from my back