Hi, I'm 40 years old and I have a problem that is worrying me a lot. Two weeks ago I have noticed some little bumps on the inside of my armpit. I noticed them during my regular hygiene of that area. I thought that they are noting more than sub dermal pimples caused by frequent shaving of the armpit so I thought that they will disappear with time if I leave them alone. In the next few days I noticed that they grew in size and they started hurting me. I decided then to go and visit my doctor. She gave me 600 mg amoxicillin pills and told me that it may be the possible infection and if it doesn’t disappear within 5 days that I should do a biopsy so that she can rule out the possibility of cancer. I'm very scared about this whole matter. What do lymphatic nodes got to do with having or not having cancer anyway?

Swelling of lymphatic nodes is usually a normal response of our body’s defensive system to any kind of an infection or a foreign matter of any kind, that is, the matter that doesn’t have the same genetic signature as our body. It is usually a good sign that your lymphatic nodes are swollen – it means that your body is trying to fight the infection. In your case I think that there is a little more to worry about since the swollen nodes are situated in a sensitive area. The fact that the nodes in the armpit area are swollen in especially in women of your age usually makes the physician think of breast cancer and some metastasis that got caught up in the nodes. The good thing is that it did get caught in the nodes and that it didn’t spread to other parts of your body. If antibiotics don’t do the trick biopsy will have to be taken in order to take the node out because if they stay in the body the chances are that they eventually move to other parts of the body. All you can do now is hope that antibiotics do work, and if they do that means that you only had an infection, if not biopsy is the only option.