I've been told by my dance instructor that crunches can give you the opposite effect if done incorrectly. This is what she told me: INCORRECT crunches: Arching back so that it lifts off the floor and bracing abs, as opposed to...CORRECT crunches: bending back towards floor and compacting abs. She said that if done incorrectly, muscle will build ON TOP of one's fat instead of under it, making one's stomach look bigger instead of flatter. Now, I usually trust my dance instructor on physical fitness because that is part of her profession..but I must admit, I find it very difficult to believe this particular tidbit. How can muscle build on top of your fat..? Can anyone either convince me that it's true or laugh at the fallacy of it all..?

this is strange to me as it is to you, muscle cells do not increase, you are pretty much born with the same number of muscle cells that you have right now. the muscle cell can only increase in the number of contractile filaments inside of it. so to say that the muscle will grow on top of fat means you need a whole new muscle to grow , which is kind of a stupid thought. on this one, i will laugh with you