I have been having problems with my menstrual cycle my who life, ever since I got my first period. My periods were so heavy and painful that I would have to stay at home for 3-4 days and lie in bed all the time. Doctors had me on birth control pills but I started being moody and my hairs started to grow like crazy, so I had to drop them. I am 33 now and have two lovely children. I am definitely done giving birth. A doc gave me two options: uterine ablation and hysterectomy. Ablation kind of seems more appealing because you get to keep your organs and hormones production but I wanted to hear other people speak as well. Any comments more than welcome! Thanx

Hi! You are so right about ablation. I had it 5 months ago and I think it is the best decision I have ever had. I know what you are going through and I think you won’t make a mistake by having an uterine ablation. Hysterectomy is definitely out of the question. It is so unhealthy. I’ve seen many women fighting depression after having hysterectomy done. After the ablation I continued to have periods but they were not as heavy as they used to be. I would say they were normal. However, I have been having less and less blood for the two last months. You should know that uterine ablation doesn’t mean that your infertile. You have to be careful because you can get pregnant but most of these pregnancies need to be terminated because there isn’t enough lining for the fetus to develop and you may end up with ectopic pregnancy. Good luck to you!

I am scheduled to have the ablasion (endo) done on July 7th. I understand and am fully satisfied that this is a better answer at this point in time than a hystorectomy. I am only 41 years old, but have nothing normal happening to me cycle wise. I bleed irregularly, more than not, and extremely heavy. It is simply horrible. This appears to be the least invasive at this point in time. I am not nervous at all as it seems to be a fairly simple procedure. I am, however, concerned for the recovery. I understand that there is or can be spotting/discharge for several weeks afterward. How about the week or weeks directly following. How did any of your folks that had it done feel? Interested in hearing about the recovery. Thanks.

Robin

Robin: just to share my experience. I had the ablation done the 2nd of June (I also had my tubes tied at the same time) and am feeling good. However you do have the discharge for several weeks after (I am going into my third week with having the discharge). The dr. said I would have a bloody piece of tissue exit anywhere from 7-10 days, but that never happened, so I called and the nurse said some ladies may never have that piece come out and not to worry. The recovery time for the ablation went well. I cramped the first day, back to work in four days (would have been back sooner, but overdid it cause I DID feel so good). I only took one of the prescribed pain pills and it didn't seem to help much (Tylonel if you can take it worked best) I found that the headache from the anethesia was the worst part of it. Take it easy for a couple of days after the surgery, get lots of rest and drink LOTS of water. I think getting over the anethesia was worse than the actual surgery. I'm glad it did it. I was having a period every other week! Take care and good luck

Im going to have the endometrial ablation next week, my question is I read that one had her tubes tied as well, why? because if this helps with not having future hot flashes ect, I want this done as well can any one out there give feed back. thanks, njvd

Before opting for the ablation I had in Sept I was having terribly heavy bleeding like many of you and abdominal pain. I also had laporscopy at the same time. The good news is there was not much pain with the recovery. The bad news is I thought that was it. That my troubles were over. I woke up from surgery to my doctor tellling me I am going to need a hysterectomy now. The adhesions were so bad that my uterus was completely attatched to my abdominal wall where you couldn't see where one started and the other ended. As well as adhesions to my bladder. My uterus is the size of someone 14 weeks pregnant, it's higher than it should be above the pubic bone and the cervix is tilted backward. And then there is my right ovary that huge and now enbedded in my bowel UNDERneath my uterus! Not next to it, but where my uterus should be. Anyway, I am devistated to say the least. I thought the ablation was going to solve all my problems. And it hasn't. I thought I'd never have a period again. Now it is about as heavy as a normal period, but lasts for 10 days! So, just don't have too high expectations for this because you never know. I though I'd never have a period again and I'd go on with my life blissfully. Hopefully you WILL have that result. Just don't be too surprised if it doesn't solve all your problems is all.

I wanted to share my experience on Cryoablation. I have had somewhat heavy periods and cramping for 22 years. I am now 38. My Dr. finally said that he wanted to try the ablation procedure, it would be performed in his office and I should be "good as new" by the next week. Well, I had that done on October 19th and here it is on December 28th and still bleeding!! I've been back every week for the last 5 weeks...he doesn't even charge me anymore .....now he says that maybe in January that we'll try the Hysterectomy!!!!! I have made an appt with another Dr. here in my town. I feel as though I have been drug through the mud. It was done in the office with a Valium and Lortab 1 hour before he began the surgery. I had taken the Depo shot 1 week before. I really feel like a guinea pig!!

Would any of you ladies still opt for an ablation if you had a long history of abnormal paps as well as very heavy bleeding? Do you think hysterectomy is a better choice?

I am 42 years old and had my Uterine Ablasion done the end of this past May......the best thing that could have happened to me. I was bleeding non-stop since last August, the dr. tried medications to stop the constant flow with many tests to rule out cancer. She explained this procedure to me and I was ready. I am so much more happier now! I bled for four days after surgery and have not bled since, and I feel like myself again. Recovery took about four days in all, be careful not to over do it because the pain was minimal for me and I over did it. I took four days off from work and I feel great! The hospital was great too, gave me an anit-nauseau pill before surgery, with a presecription again for dizziness, and I didn't need to fill it. The dr. gave to two types of pain killers, only needed the Motrin 800. I'm so glad that I DID NOT have a Hysterectomy. I hope this helps everyone who is thinking about their options.

I am a 46 year old woman whose child bearing days are finished. I'd been experiencing very heavy periods and spoke to my dr. about a remedy for this and he recommended the cryoablation. Our goal was to have 0 to tolerable periods. I had the procedure done on 8/25/07. Before hand he'd explained to me that I would have a watery discharge for anywhere from 3-6 weeks. That information was right on point. It lasted from the date of the surgery up to 9/10/07 when I began what I'm assuming is my period. This is where it goes downhill. On 9/12, I bled so heavy it seemed like I never had a procedure done. On the 13th, I barely had anything but since then I have had moderate to heavy bleeding. The feeling of discouragement and disgust at this point is an understatement. I spoke to my dr. on 9/13 and he told me not to get discouraged too quickly. This could be because it's my first period after the procedure. I can only HOPE this is the case. If this continues over the next 3 months then I'll know the procedure wasn't successful and at that point I'll need to exercise the option of a hysterectomy :'(

In response to MrsMcClain: I am also 46 and had the uterine cryoablation on 9/21 - one week ago. I'm very surprised that your doctor didn't explain the expectations to you in a more detailed fashion. My doc told me that I could not make any judgements on the procedure for the first 6 months, that it will take that long for it to all sort itself out. I've done extensive research on the web that has backed up the doctor's advice. He told me to expect one - two regular cycles that may included quite a bit of bleeding. But again, it will take 6 months to know exactly what I will end up with. Just knowing that makes the current discharge and next few months more tolerable. I figure it can't be any worse that what I've experienced the last 4 months. I had a DVT in May 07 and was put on Coumadin. The uterine bleeding just skyrocketed while on the blood thinner.

I wasn't quite prepared for how much the paracervical block hurt. I about jumped off the table! I had taken Valium, Naproxen, and a shot of Toradol prior to the procedure. I would have liked a hammer to the head before the block. OUCH! But, like they say, the freezing was almost unnoticeable, except for the woman's pre-programmed voice on the "Her Option" device that repeated the temperature every time it changed: "the current temperature is -103 degrees F." I wish I had ear plugs.

I am waiting the 6 months before coming to a conclusion and hoping to be in the 30-40% of ammenorrhia patients. That sounds like heaven.

I just had the novasure ablation procedure done yesterday, little cramping after and today feel good. Just trying not to overdue on advise of dr for a couple of days. Anesthesia was fine, no nausea. Little or no bleeding too. I will let you know how things go.
I am 48, already had my 3 kids, had a tubal ligation before. periods were sooo heavy they had me down for 1-2 days and would bleed through clothes, bed etc. I hope this works. And insurance covered most of it.
My friends are waiting to see my results in case they want to do it tool. :-)

I am 46 yrs. old ,had 3 kids and have been dealing with heavy perioids lasting 45+ days for the past year and a half. I had a Novasure Ablation performed on October 2, 2007.
The procedure went well and I was back to work in 2 days. The discharge did last 4-6 weeks after. The first period I had after this procedure was mild, only staining and lasted 2-3 days, the next 2 periods were the same. Everything was great for 4 months. This past month (Feb.08') I had a heavy period that lasted 9+ days and it was like I never had the procedure. I have been back to the Dr. and it has been determined the only other option at this point is a hysterectomy. My uterine wall is at a very high thickness and will only increase from here as it has before. I was happy with the ablation but was told before hand that there was a chance that I could be one of those % of women that the procedure would not take. In my case it was good for a few months but ultimately did not work. My hysterectomy is scheduled for March 28, 08. Looking forward to being done with the nightmare I have been going through.I am keeping my ovaries so I will not go into menopause and will not need hormone therapy.

I was all set for having the Nova-Sure procedure this month, but my doctor just informed me that I have fybroids on my uterus. Because of the position that they are in, the Nova Sure procedure wont be the best decision for me. She reccommended the "balloon procedure" or a hysterectomy. I want the least invasive procedure, however, the fybroids worry me. The doctor said that its probably because of the fybroids why my periods are so bad (my normal period now lasts anywhere from 16-19 days!) If i was to do the balloon method (which is just like the nova-sure), it wouldnt take away the fybroids. Does this mean that the periods can come back with a vengence if the fybroids grows again? Any thoughts would be helpful.

I had the Novasure thermal ablation done in October of 2006....I was told by my dr. to give it at least 6 months to prove its worth and my periods should come to almost a complete stop.....it is now May 2008 and I have never had heavier or longer periods in my life. Since 10/06 my periods have gotten worse every month. They started off lasting 10 days and now I have only 5 to 7 days in between periods! Yes....non-stop periods! It is awful. When I first went to my dr. I was ready for the full-blown hysterectomy....she talked me into the thermal ablation because it was non-invasive. I should have just gotten the hysterectomy and could have been done with it. I just paid off the hospital and dr. bills from the thermal ablation and now I am looking at paying even more for the hysterectomy! If you aren't going to have anymore children (and shouldn't after the thermal ablation either)....don't go for the ablation.....it seems like a fairy tale come true - - because that is what it is - - a fairy tale!
I also had a laproscopy done several years ago to burn out endometriosis - this was after my dr. had me go through a colonoscopy and cytoscopy to rule out anything else that it might be besides endometriosis. I went through tests for 2 years before the laproscopy only to have the thermal ablation 2 years later and now am set for the hysterectomy anyway!