I am 42 yrs young. Have had painful periods for over 30 yrs and I am done. I have been told I have a bicornuate uterus and that the endometrial ablation is not an option. Is this true and if so what would my other options be?

I know that this is an old thread but, I'm wondering if you got answers to your questions?  I'm sure that you're not checking in anymore and have gotten your answers.  However, I just wanted to add that I had never known that I had a bicornuate uterus (IF I did) and the doctor did the ablation anyway.  Now, I am facing a hysterectomy because of a continuation of bleeding some 3 years post ablation (rollerball method) and being postmenopausal. 

I was shocked to learn that I had a bicornuate uterus and in picking up and going over previous Pelvic Ultrasounds, it appears as though none of them ever mentioned a "bicornuate uterus" until AFTER the ablation which is leading me to believe that it *may* have been the ablation and being postmenopausal which has created the uterine distortion as well as severe scarring of the uterus to the point of having the center of my uterus almost completely (except for a narrow passage...to narrow for even hysteroscopy) shut. 

In my personal opinion, I would NOT go for the ablation with an already existing knowledge of having a bicornuate uterus.  Had I known what was going to happen (I also had 2 large benign polyps removed, along with a D&C at the same time as the ablation), I would have gone directly to the hysterectomy at that point (had I been given the chance).  I hope that you have found resolve to your situation by now and are doing well.  Other measures for heavy bleeding can include medication, D&C or to see if you have any other factors such as fibroids, polyps or other benign reasons for your bleeding.  If you're close enough to menopause and there's no structural reason for the bleeding. waiting until menopause (unless anemic) may be/have been your best choices besides a hysterectomy. 

Best wishes!   

i was recently told i have a bicornaute uterus as well, after many test. I had an ablation 1 yr ago and had a us 1mo prior to that which showed normal uterus. I believe the ablation caused this as well as severe pain on the right side. Still waiting on mri results to see if need a hysterectomy.