dear original poster.
everyone in this has been damn close to solving the issue,
i am a 17 year old, 6'3 white. i take 30mg xr aderal capsules.
i have been taking them for 8 months. off and on.
I noticed as i started taking aderal my acne inclined extremely.
I get into "trances" when i see a blackhead on my face and as i scan my face for more im only rubbing my dirty hands creating more acne.
NOT TO MENTION the fact that aderal speeds your heart-rate up and causes some to sweat.
aderal alone increases my emotional states.
(anybody see the same thing in meth and heroine? is the same thing except brain chemical reaction experts perfect it and make it somewhat healthy.)
what is the cause of all of these you ask?
its quite simple. dosage + tolerance
i will go 6 weeks, school weeks, straight and say a holiday break comes and i do not take the aderal.
in term my "tolerance" will have lowered a fair amount depending on the break length.
unfortunately for me, my face will probably never be completely clear as long as i take aderal
but the other side affects such as weight loss, sleep depravation, hallucinations(happens to me when i do not eat alot, or when i do not sleep all night) and emotional discomfort. will all go away in some time as your aderal tolerance builds

So today was my first time taking adderall, i took 2 because one wasn't hitting me, it help me soo much, i focused on my classes, but then when i had to go to my other class, i started feeling all sensitive and emotional, any little thing like what my teacher said, "I'm not grading your paper."
made me feel sad and i felt jittery but im glad it helped me in my algebra 2 class, i actually payed attention this time. :]

-Vamp

I too have more acne since starting adderall. This is the whole reason I am posting this. I have never had perfect skin, but never have I had acne on my back until now. I have been on adderall for two months now and it has been a battle. I also have sudden thoughts of sadness. I also get angry very easily.

hello..... i am in 8th grade and have been on Adderall since 3rd grade. I have had pretty bad acne for a long time! i have tryed using Retina, and other things prescribed by my doctor, they both worked good for about the first 2 weeks, if not less, but otherwise didn't/don't do a good job at keeping my face clear! I have ADD and i started on i think Adderall Rx like 15 mg and have worked my way up to 30mg and my doc is thinking of upping the dosage again.... and now that i hear about this im am scared that my acne is going to get worse! %-)
Thank you to all of you who have let me know about this! 8)

hello again.... to the person who was wondering how long it takes to get a regular appitite... i lose my appitite around lunch time and barely eat anything when i take my adderall... but when i don't take it i eat NONSTOP! i have lost ALOT of weight and im kinda glad about that bc i used to be kinda big. 8-| I also am very talkative when i don't take adderall, but when i do im very quiet and barely talk.... so ppl can tell when i do and don't take my med. i almost fainted about 5 times the other day bc i haven't had an appitite for anything, got dehydrated... at about the worst point in my dehydration my face, arms and hands, and legs started going numb.... idk if that was all caused my the dehydration or what but it was really bad! i hope i helped answer some questions! ;-)

I'm 28 year old male. I've taken Ritalin for at least 8 years and had to switch because I hated how it made me focus on things that made me upset. I just started Adderall and now my skin is extreemly oily. This is upsetting because I function better on Adderall: I can have sex with Adderall, I don't stress out on Adderall, and I don't over react to normally-small things on Adderall... all things I've problems with on Ritalin. But the oily skin is horrible! I'll even find that my cell phone even gets oily when I pull it out of my pocket.

I've never had oily skin before. Ritalin has never had any side effects on my skin.

I've had two different effects from adderall xr, strangely. The first round, about 4 mos, it was perfect except for periods of borderline severe manic periods. These were okay with me- I've been lethargic and unenthusiastic all my life and I'm sick of it (I'm 35, seem to have limbic ADD, and I am a chronic underachiever). I also found I could focus on the wrong things, but staying on course just required a bit of motivation. The time is took me to finish reports magnified intensely- but this was the only serious problem. I couldn't let go of over perfectionism on report writing and over research, especially if in the generation of the report I slacked on sleep. Other than this, the other side affects disappeared after the first couple weeks: the feelings of a frantic need to do something social, the weight loss (15lb loss in a few weeks, then gained 5, then stablilized), the sleeplessniess. Before adderall xr I had high anxiety, and was never rid of at least a low level, lurking anxiety ever since I was a teen (so for 20 years), after adderall, it went away almost completely... in this first four months. I never experienced acne. I found I was more prone to spontaneously weep, but I study human trafficking and genocide in my work, and I just felt it more- so again, no big deal. I got more done than I ever had in my life- and I did discernibly better work than usual- both stuff I needed to do (graduate school reports, research, and assigned readings) as well as stuff of my own (prose and poetry, etc). Plus I was more confident and more smooth socially (though again, a little manic). It was like a miracle.

I lost insurance and meds for awhile. I had a very hard time readjusting to life without meds, was constantly tired, and quite depressed. This was a 2.5 month period. After nearly flunking out of school, I started paying out of pocket. Non-xr adderall was a problem for me- like a roller coaster- I had terrible crashes and was tempted to pop another within 2 hours when I'd feel the first start to wear off. My blood pressure shot up. I got it taken care of and switched to adderall xr despite the expense difference. This time, no longer in class but needing to make up a qtr's worth of material, it's not worked nearly as well as the first time. It increases my mood, but my anxiety is often massive. I'm breaking out terribly. The weight loss has continued, slowly but regularly, for some 5 straight months. I don't smoke as much, because of the anxiety, but I can't imagine kicking cigarettes on adderall. I have more base mood swings. I quickly hyperfocus on anything that makes me forget about my anxiety for awhile. I have a lot of trouble sleeping at night unless I stay up until I'm thoroughly exhausted. I don't understand the difference entirely, but I think it's like this: having set tasks and a proper schedule as opposed to an open agenda was extremely beneficial for anxiety, task completion, mood, and appetite. The anxiety is the most important thing. The further behind I get, the more anxious I get, and the more avoidant and restless I get. Acne seems directly related to the anxiety. So I'd say have your add coach focus on scheduling- if your parents, managers, or professors are sympathetic keep them informed and let them help you motivate you to task- and keep up a healthy social life. Don't let yourself isolate. And wash your face 3+ times a day- supplementing with a high quality mositerizing skin cream to keep the face washing from drying you up too badly. A gf had me start using Oil of Olay facial cream. This stuff has worked wonderfully for me.

I also started taking SAM-E supplements (Nature Made brand is highly regarded and the best for the cost- Wal Mart and Sam's Club have the lowest prices of Nature Made SAM-E per mg, 80% of the brands out there do not pass clinical tests, so watch out) and they seemed to help a lot at first- who knows if there is a placebo effect, I imagine there must be some. I've increased my dose now to 1200mg daily. I seem to need less adderall, and even when I'm on my full dose of adderall, it seems to help my sleep a bit. It's helped regulate my mood I think, I feel more positive. Not a solve all, but I do believe it is helping. No effect on the acne or anxiety.

But from the message 2 above this one- good advice, but for god's sake, don't eat chocolate, at least not milk chocolate or highly sweetened dark chocolate, to increase endorphines to help with your acne! Chocolate leading to acne is not fully a myth- it was just badly studied and this bad research gets cited all the time. Cocoa itself most certainly does not cause acne, but certain forms of glucose do- the glucose in milk chocolate candy, and -imitation- chocolate candy is even worst, causes my face to develop a glossy oily sheen within five hours. Dark chocolate with a high cocoa content would probably not cause acne- just read the label to find sugar content. Jogging would probably help since it seems to help everything except your knees, but non-aerobic exercise, for men at least, might make it worst... can someone verify if I am correct in that last statement?

the person who said the thing about the stress hormones might be right.. I have been on adderall for about 5 years and my skin was never as bad as it has been the entire time i've been on adderall..I've tried every skin care product and prescription, even antibiotics for many years now and still nothing fixes my acne problem. However for the first time this past summer I started going tanning because I needed to for my brother's wedding, and I immediately noticed my skin clearing up. The more I tanned the clearer my skin got, until it was almost all the way gone. After the wedding I stopped tanning and now my acne is back. So the extra exposure to sunlight to reduce stress chemicals released by the body due to adderall could be a solution. It probably isn't the healthiest solution though because it can be dangerous and bad for your skin to go tanning alot

no he is not, the increase test would cause mpb(male pattern baldness) in a lot of people, so what he is saying adderall can be used as a steriod? increase test, which is what steriods do.

That's crazy. ive been on Adderall XR for a couple months, maybe 2. i was started on 10 milligrams and felt like it didnt do anything. my mom is a nurse and she said it would be alright to take 2 of the 10mg pills on days that i really needed it, like for a test or something. i ran out and forgot about it then made an appointment with my doctor to up the dosage. there was about a 2 week gap that i had been of of it. and then started with the 20. i had never had many side effects from the 10 mg but it wasn't really helping me focus. im always in my own little world when i don't take my medicine. i also have skin problems. i never used to break out much but i had really oily skin. im also very sensitive and allergic to a lot of things. and this medicine just makes it worse its disgusting..... not to mention i take pills for my skin and i still have these chicken pock looking zits. today is my second day on the 20 mg Adderall and this is what i noticed:
extreme dry mouth (when you dont salivate enough your gums loosen up, i can actually wiggle my adult teeth.)
that scared me i was freaking out and thought my teeth were gunna fall out. i immediately called my mom.
i feel a pressure in my gums and my jaw. i feel like i cant open my mouth very wide and i random always clench my teeth - i grind my teeth at night and this just intensifies it. my arms and legs are extremely sore like i worked out. mood swings.... im normally and extremely happy person never mean, and when i started taking adderall in general the very first day i was in the best and most loving mood ever..
i literally wanted to hug absolutely every person i walked by, i was like in such a lovey mood i was very teary eyed and choked up it was weird.
i twitch sometimes, well not really twitch i shake. i have a heart condition/ heart murmer (mitral valve prolapse) so it messes with my heart. the adderall i noticed when i was running on the treadmill my heart was beating way too fast and it stayed like that for like 5 minutes and got off and just standing there i was like completely soaked in sweat because of it messing with my heart rate. i will sweat when im not even moving like this morning even if to everyone else its freezing. i already sweat a lot but it was just weird. 
i get emotional, like sad about some things and dont let something go as easily as i would if i wasnt on it, just like someone else had previously said.
no appetite whatsoever.

Yeah i got the same problem except my girl dumped me. What you need to do is drink alot of water because adderal drains your body of water and then instead of sweating you just get really oily, and drink water even when you don't want too. Another thing that adderal does is destroy any muscle you do have so work out alot or else you might start feeling random pains in your arms and legs and if you don't, after awhile when you stand up you might pass out or feel dizzy. Or just switch meds because adderal is sum bad sh*t.m

Too funny...but so true!! I think I'll join you.. :)

I know this post is ancient, but there is much truth to this. I have had some very bad acne breakouts once winter came in Indiana and the sun went away. I started to go tanning and have noticed immediately that my acne is almost gone. If anyone struggles with acne, skip all the expensive and worthless creams, pills, foods... because none of them have worked. I have taken them all for years but nothing has worked anywhere close to tanning. Just be responsible about it too!

yo i used to take the ORANGE adderal 10mg with no problem whatsoever....havent taken any since about oct/sept...maybe a week ago i started back on the BLUE adderall 10mg....my skin on my face chest (im a female) back and sides looks DEEFUKNSKUSTING! [DISGUSTING] my skin looks that of a meth head and i stopped taking them on feb 26 w/e day that was. gonna steam my face when i get home. but yeah idk if its an Addy side effect or the BLUE pill side effect which allows u to get agitated rather swiftly.

What was the Medication that made you gain weight?