Thanks to someone who didnt make me shiver when reading her story. Im 23 and on Monday Im going into have my adnoids and tonsils taken out and I am freaking out. But hopefully I will be one of the better stories and recover pretty quick I am supposed to be back at work one week and a day after my surgery. So I better heal quick.

My 19 year old daughter had her tonsils removed last Wednesday afternoon. On Wednesday evening she was eating mashed potatoes and vanilla pudding and has been eating ever since. This experience has been nothing at all what we were expecting after reading these posts and listening to the doctor. I am thinking that the fact that she began eating something nutritious right away made things a little easier for her. She says the pain she is experiencing now is no worse than the sore throats she was having before the surgery.

The only really negative thing she experienced was that she felt like she was having problems breathing when she went to sleep right after she got home. She would wake up chocking like she wasn't breathing correctly, so we just made sure someone was in the room with her at all times!

Good luck to those who are planning on having this surgery. Listen to your doctor and try your best to eat!

It's not that bad. I was off the vicodin in 3 days and then wasn't taking any pain medication at all (and I'm 41!) It's been 2 and 1/2 weeks and I can eat anything I want. Even mildly spicy food. I did have severe bleeding complications twice which sent me to the emergency room on days 5 and 9 after surgery, but that was entirely my fault. DO NOT drink Camomile Tea.... it's a blood thinner and anti inflamatory!!! Also, sleep propped up if possible. I only had one bad tonsil (constant infection, food getting stuck in there, I could feel it all the time), but it was still small. So maybe it's not as bad if you have yucky but small tonsils. By far it was not as bad as I was told.

Ok I am 27 and had my tonsils out four days ago and I have to say I am not having many problems at all. I ate a double cheeseburger the day after I had it done. It took a long long time but I did eat the whole thing. I think it is important to remember that each person is diffrent. I also had cryptic tonsils (where food gets stucks and produces icky smelling "tonsil stones") and am so glad that I will never ever had to pick another stone from my tonsils or deal with that foul smelling breath. The crypts will only get bigger and cause more problems. I think the younger you are the better so if you are going to do it, plan it sooner then later.

ugh, so i am going on day 7 now i believe. my uvula is finally back to its normal size but my scabs havent begun to fall off yet. i find that each day is different, some days i can slowly eat mashed potatoes or ramen noodles, as well as icees and sorbet cups, and others i find i dont eat anything at all because of the painful swallowing. i do the icepacks and they seem to really help. i am also on acetaminophen with codine with really helps, but i havent pooped in a week either :$ my sense of taste seems fairly normal, maybe a little metallic occasionally, but my voice is different. i sound kinda nasally. i really dont like it, and im hoping once my scabs fall off, and the level of mucas and spit diminishes from the back of my throat it will be back to normal. good luck to my fellow sufferers! hopefully everyone will be feeling good soon! :-)

i suprisingly felt pretty good after my surgery which was a week ago today. swallowing of course was painful, and it was the worse waking up to eat something with my medicine in the middle of the night. i had been breathing through my mouth as my nose was stuffed with allergies and it dried out my throat....not fun.

i was doing quiet until about 5 days after my surgery. i woke up feeling better than ever, then by night i was crying to my mom going to bed. i guess now is when my scabs are starting to come off...so i get random severe ear aches and the such. but yea...im hoping it will definitly be worth it in the end, as i was tired of my tonsils swelling all the time.

I had a T&A surgery on thursday and it hasn't been too bad while i'm on my pain meds but when they wear off and at night the pain is pretty bad. I haven't been able to eat much at all so I have no energy. I was wondering how long it took before people were feeling up to going back to school/ work

I am 42 and planning to have a TA next week. I have been sick every month for 9 months and just now have time to get it done. To anyone out there- after you had this done is it easier to breathe at night, does your bad breath go away and do you have less sinus infections afterwards?

I got my tonsils out 4 days ago. and have never been in so much pain in my life. hope everyone else goes well like the positive posts on here!

I'm 22, and going through another bout of tonsillitis. The doctor finally agreed with what I've been asking for all this time - to get my tonsils removed. I've had more bouts of strep throat and tonsillitis than anyone should ever have - 3-4 bouts of strep per year and at my BEST 2 bouts of tonsillitis, ever since I was a kid.
I'm nervous though - on the one hand, I know I'll be able to swallow better, but on the other, I've never had a surgery before.
For anyone who's had their adenoids removed, did it change anything about your voice? My mom keeps telling me about someone she knew's kid, whose voice got this really WEIRD quality to it after they had it done.

I'm on Day 10. And every day is better than the last. I have to admit these posts scared the c**p out of me. But nothing could stop me from getting this surgery. My tonsils were the size of golf balls. I had stopped taking the pain med on Day 7, but latey I have been coughing alot, which was causing throat pain, so I went back on the meds. Smart Move.
Swallowing was hard at first. It's like you have to retrain yourself. But I am easing back into normal foods. I am going to try to have some BBQ today. *Fingers Crossed*

I just wanted to leave a positive post. There is some pain, but it's not much worse than the sore throats I had anyway.

I was wondering if anyone had essesive spit. I have been hacking up flem every since my surgery. I was excited because last night was the first night I slept all the way through without spitting.

:-D Its not that bad I'm on day 14 and I'm not sore anymore and I'm eating almost normally again.

I am on day 9 post opt. By day 6, I was eating mashed potatoes and thinking I was in the clear, but on day 7 and 8 the ear pain kicked in. I thought my eardrums were exploding!! My doctor told me to chew gum and it worked!! I wish I would have been told that from the get-go. Also-take a stool softener the very first day you start your meds. It was not fun on day 5 to realize that I was constipated along with all the other things I was dealing with. Does this suck right now? Yes. But am I glad I did this?? Heck yea! Next winter, I will not miss the throat infections and swollen glands. You can get through anything if you know there is an end in sight. Positive spin? I have lost 10 pounds, and still counting! Now, I seriously miss pizza and cheesburgers, but I know that by the time summer barbeques start, I will be good as new!!

I am on day #13 and I have to say... i think hydration is the key. I took my liquid pain meds every four hours religiously and drank lots of gatorade/powerade/prune juice/water while on it.

I really didn't feel horrific pain throughout this entire process. There were moments of heightened pain (days 5-7 and 9-11) were more touch and go... Everyone is different so I don't think anyone should judge their own bodies against this website..don't be afraid to have your own tonsils out because of other people's stories...your case might be like mine... I feel like I've had a bad case of strep for the past two weeks.... (i'll take that pain over having reoccuring strep cases all year long and all my life). For some people getting your tonsils removed is a lesson in ENDURANCE....13 days... and counting....

I had liquid Hycet Solution (a pain med combo of hydrocodone and acetometophine..) I highly recommend it...it took away the pain enough so that I could drink, talk, and sleep. Liquid amoxicillin, and an anti-nausea med that dissolves almost instantely on the tongue.

I still dread sneezing and yawning..ouch! Can't really eat solid foods yet..mashed potatoes, cream of wheat, pops, ice cream, oatmeal etc. Lost 8 pounds thus far.

So, I read and read and read online, and almost made myself ill prior to the surgery.

I was in and out of anesthesia in one hour and 15 minutes. Immediately after the surgey, I was speaking, which shocked the nurses. :-)

Today is Day 2, but less than 24 hours since the surgery, I just ate Chicken and Stars Campbell Soup and plan to hit the Ramen in a couple hours.

Drinking a lot of water - cool, but not cold water does well with me.

I'm on Liquid Lortab as my one and only painkiller. 2 tsps every four hours, and 3 tsps at night and first thing in the morning.

Wish me luck, and best of luck to all of you! :-)