Day 8... Man has it been a ride... On day one I was given A strong narcotic... I took it home taking it as written for about 2 days when I realized I was allergic to it. so coupled with the normal pain from tonsilitus I was having hot cold flashes, vomitting, and having emense difficulity breathing... We figured out the problem thankfully, but that meant I wouldn't have any painkillers through my recovery... It's been excrusatingly painful... I've woken up many times at night just shaking violently cause screaming hurt, and it was extremely intense... I think I'm finally over the woods with it. Not lookingforward to the scabs falling off though... Day 6 I force fed myself a half of a piece of plain pizza craving any solid food... It didn't go over that well with my throat actually it sent me backwards a bit I think... I can't wait till this is all over... This is the most pain I've ever experianced in my life...

I just wanted to thank all of the ones who have left positive posts. After reviewing the posts, I started getting really scared. I am scheduled to have my tonsils out on July 5th! I am very excited because I know I will feel better and won't be getting sick every month.

From what I have gleaned from all of the posts...water is the key component. I will strive my best to do that and to eat lots of soups, broths, and teas. But no chamomile!

Good luck to all of you recovering and to all who will be having surgery soon. I will update you all when I get mine out. I hope my experience will be a positive one, too.

I had my tonsils out seven days ago and I am 32. I also had a baby 6 months ago and I still can't decide which pain was worse, recovering from childbirth or from the tonsillectomy-i'm not kidding. Day seven is markedly better than days 1-6. Sweets taste bad to me now, unsure if this is temporary. I've lost six pounds. I would do it again though because its best not to have smelly golf balls in the back of your throat.

It is about 3:45 am. I am 32 and just had my tonsils out 8 days ago. The pain woke me up out of my sleep. At this point the pain meds (lortab and ibuprofen) are doing a better job of controlling the pain. I have upgraded from chicken broth to ramen noodles--the noodles have to be extra soft and I can only eat about one hour after the medication has kicked in. I had a baby 6 months ago and I can't decide which is worse: recovering from the pain of childbirth or from the pain of a tonsillectomy-I'm not being funny, I really can't say. If your doctor is recommending that you have your tonsils out and it never occured to you before, then it probably is not worth it. If you are like me and you know your tonsils are infected (and malodorous) without anyone having to tell you then it is worth the effort. Good luck to those having it done--PLEASE DON'T EXPECT TO WORK/TALK FOR AT LEAST A WEEK POSTOP!!

I'm sorry to hear that some of you are having terrible reactions to your tonsillectomies. I'm 19 and I am on my 5th day, and I have not had a bad time at all. The worst days were the first two, where my throat was very sore and I was tired, but I've been taking percocet and it has taken care of most of the pain. I was one of those lucky ones who was talking immediately after surgery, so that never went away.

The worst part of the whole situation has really been the cabin fever aspect. If I never watch another tv movie again, I'll be pretty happy. Also, the consistency of the food is getting to me. Slimy foods like yogurt and scrambled eggs are starting to make me nauseous, but are still edible. I just can't wait to eat vegetables and fruit again!

I recommend the surgery if you need it. It really hasn't been so bad and I can't wait to get back to normal.

Guest wrote:

I'm supposed to get my tonsils out soon cause for years now they get food stuck inside of them. It smells and it's gross. They are like dirty little sponges and I want them out, but after reading all of this, I'm kind of nervous! If you could do it all over again, would you still have done it? I don't know how old you are, but I'm 24. I've had a baby though. It can't be as bad as that! =)

In reply to the girl who is 24 and needs her tonsils out soon - DONT DO IT. I've also had a baby, I'm 23, had my tonsils out 10 days ago, and honest to god truth - giving birth to my son vaginally and without drugs was AN EASIER RECOVERY than a tonsillectomy recovery. I kid you not.
If I could do it over again, I wouldn't. I will advise anyone and everyone NOT to have their tonsils removed as an adult. It is torture for days and days.

I will be 33 tomorrow and am on day 9 of recovery from a tonsillectomy. I had a baby 6 months ago and I truly can't decide which is worse: recovering from a tonsillectomy or recovering from childbirth. I'm not kidding. I am on lortab and ibuprofen which works ok but when the pain meds wear off I am a miserable, pitiful, person. I saw my doctor two days ago and he says everything is healing well and this is normal. My best suggestion for those who wake up in the middle of the night with pain is to set your alarm to wake you up before your pain meds wear off so you can take them a bit early. In my opinion its better to overlap doses than to wake in the night with the pain that comes from a dry, raw throat.
Does anyone have suggestions for foods I can eat? I have lost 10 pounds and still can only manage chicken broth and sometimes cream of wheat. Everything else hurts.

I am 30 years old and had a tonsillectomy 6 days ago. Knowing what I know now about the pain, I would NEVER have done it. I have given birth twice, and I would take childbirth over this ANY DAY.

I also have OSA and they are considering removing my tonsils to improve this condition as well as cronic infections. I'm 37 so I understand that the older you are the more severe the recovery.
I've had 2 cesarean sections and endured 28 hours of labour - how would a tonsillectomy compare to this????

I;m 19 and had them cut out last Thursday. When I awoke from my anesthesia all I could do was cry because it hurt so bad. I have a high pain tolerance, and am good at dealing with discomfort, however this is aweful!!! I can't taste anything, and I get very sick to the stomach if I even smell food! I am really weak and can't fall asleep.I've tried popscicles,soup,Jello,etc, but the best thing yet has been canned peaches. I just want to die! I lost a ton of weight, so I can fit into my fav. jeans :-) but I'm sure to gain it all back just as soon as I can eat again. Mmmm..BigMac and fries can't wait! I'm down to 110 lbs!! I really regret having this done, but it is a necassary evil. This past year I have had strep throat on and off again constantly, and I even had to come home from Wyoming because I ended up in the emergency room.
I have a checkup this Thursday, so I'm keepin my fingers crossed.

I am actually in my own personal hell after getting my tonsils out... I think I am most worried that I am gonna have complications like "hemroging" then have to go back in for more surgery or something. After i got them out...it hurt pretty bad that day the pain meds do help somewhat and they make u really tired but then when u wake up it hurts SOOO bad becasue uve been snoring and irritating it. I didnt want to drink anything or eat ANYthing. I am on my 6th day and the pain is so bad that i can barely breathe! i know drinking water is key but i cant even get it down without excruciating pain...I wonder how long its going to be before the pain stops cause i only have 1 dose of meds left and i am freaking out!!!! I have so many cravings but ive come to just think about the pain and not the hunger. Reading all these got me so scared I Definitly dont see the light at the end of the tunnel........ >;)

I am 52 years old and have had my final left tonsil removed. I am on Day 14, and the inside of my throat isn't too bad right now. I had to go back on ice chips tonight. But, it is the outside of my neck, left side and back of my neck. Really hard to move my head back and forth. I'm not sure when I can go back to work. I think it's going to be three weeks instead of two.

Yes, I mix everything with mashed potatoes. I have gone thru two 20lbs bag of ice. I have also kept ice on my neck in the area where the tonsil used to be. I find fudgecicles great!! Lots of popsicles good too.

No, I am unable to drink water real well. Still choking. Pop seems to go down okay. The nurses at the hospital said that pop will help lessen the phlegm in the throat.

Still have my narcotic nasal spray available for any sudden surges of pain.

I also had food being trapped in the holes of my tonsils, resulting in infections, bad breath, severe snoring. My uvula is also enlarged still. I believe once the swelling goes down from that, my snoring should stop.

Good luck to anyone having a tonsillectomy. It is well worth it once it's over.

Susan

Hi! I'm 39 and am on Day 10 since the tonsillectomy. Let me first start by saying I am thrilled to have these sucka's out of the back of my throat. I've been dealing with monthly tonsillitis or strep for about 9 months!

I haven't been in that much pain relatively speaking - I only took the liquid oxycodone on Day one and have worked through any other pain. I started with baby food and baby rice cereal from Day one, but am eating very very slowly. On Day 10, I'm still only eating really soft foods like soup, ice cream, scrambled eggs, etc and can't handle anything even slightly acidic. I have been diligent in making sure I take in enough fluids all the time. My liquid amoxicillin will be gone today.

The last couple of days (Day 7, 8 and 9) I have had short random bouts of very very intense ear pain which was severe enough that I called the nurse at the ENT -- she said NORMAL - keep hydrating.

Oh and I looked at the back of my throat last night and still have the "healing membranes" in the back - mostly on my right side - which is where most of the ear pain is located. I guess I still have to look forward to those coming off!

I keep wondering when I'll be completely normal again and be able to eat whatever I want. In the meantime, I guess I'll just enjoy the weight loss and the savings from not using TP :-). I've been back to work since Day 6 and have been active in the yard and done some walking on the treadmill.

Good luck to you all. I hope your recoveries are swift!

This was the most excruciating thing I ever suffered. For those of you who don't know what to expect, I was a nurse for a while and am used to documenting and recording. Soooo, I took lots of pics immediately post op until I am almost healed every 6-12 hours usually and documented my progress with foods, liquids and pain. Yes even the constipation from the pain meds..lol There is a PDF that you can view with about 30 photos in high resolution, graphic color, and my favorite recipes for stopping the bleeding. The lady on Day 2 should be documenting, cause until day 3 it was a cakewalk...

here is the link to my "Tonsillectomy is Hell" Website:
tonsilsnomore.googlepages.com

Thanks,

Steve

From what i am reading i guess my pain isnt THAT bad. I am on day 3. It sucks, i am in a lot of pain and can only eat if it is in liquid form. Day 1 was cake, I got out from surgery, and went home within the hour. I was talking and was able to do so without problems. Then i think the meds wore off. That night was quite painful i could not sleep the entire night. Day two i started taking my meds.... awwww liquid vicodin, SOOO good. about 20 minutes after i take that i drink as much of the food and icecream as possible then try to sleep. Now i am on day 3 and the pain is quite bad. i took it 2 hours ago and i am already wanting to take another dos. I hope it will get better. And for all those wondering if they should do this surgery, i will let you know after my recovery. Only then will i be able to say if it was worth it.