I picked up the book for my wife the other day at the library (even though she didn't want to read it). I read the parts about the program and skipped all of the motivational fluff.

I'm not going to adopt his plan for myself because I have a different set of goals, but I was wondering if anyone else has either done the program or known someone that has done the program. I'm always interested in learning about things that work if only to give advice to others.

I have read some of it and know people who followed it. It is really straight forward weights, aerobics, and diet stuff.

The PROBLEM I have with it is the author is a VP or something of a supplement company (he puts out a mag to sell his stuff too). Of course, the program will only work if you take his supplements which would easily run over $100/month.

I bought the book because a number of my members/clients were doing the program. I noticed four types of responses.
Group 1. The people who followed the exercise part of the program lost weight during the 12 weeks,
Group 2. The people who followed the exercise part and modified the diet part lost a bit more weight than Group 1 during the 12 weeks.
Group 3. The people who followed the exercise and diet part and did his supplements lost the most amount of weight. These people gained it all right back after the 12 weeks.
Group 4. The people who "said" they were following the program but really didn't, and then complained that there were no changes.

I have TWO PROBLEMS with the program.
1. Ditto what TriBob said about the supplement stuff. If you didn't know any better, you would think that supplements are the only way to lose weight/get into shape.
2. At least 45 minutes a day for weight lifting but only 20 minutes for cardio. Hmmmm...wonder where Mr. Phillips' interest lies?

But other than those, it's a pretty good program. Especially for a non- or sometimes exerciser.

I agree with Fla, it depends on your goals. IMHO, this is best suited for someone getting started or restarted in a program and it's better than nothing, but for my needs, I found it too weight-based and not balanced enough. And the supplement thing is bogus. Meal replacements are a "great" way to lose weight fast, but like Fla said, it comes right back on once you start eating. Not nearly enough emphasis on nutrition and meal planning, or what to do for the "maintenance" part, etc. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who was serious about getting and STAYING in shape.

Everyone these days wants a quick solution to not having to grind out the hours of training and skipping desserts that we real athletes do and it just ain't gonna happen, at least not with permanent results. Life's about balance and choices. Period.

Never..... But I will try....

it is interesting but phillips is only about himself

i think it is all ra ra

though some people could use that constant motivation
it is just not for me

his magazine, i think is muscle media, does nothing but promote EAS products and body for life.
it is interesting though he does put up quite a bit of money for the prizes and he does have couples categories.
but like i said it is just not for me

Amen to that sistah!

I know two people who have used that. One is right back where she started (on the couch, bout 30 lbs overweight) the other is still at his goal. Beats me. :shrug: