I have neighbor who reported scattered cutaneous papules and nodules. In his case, some of these were rather large in size then others. In the same time, subcutaneous nodule resembling a common bacterial abscess, which is what his doctor explained him. After a while, he is diagnosed with bacillary angiomatosis. I would like to hear something about this condition, so I am asking if there is anyone, who might give me an answer.

Bacillary angiomatosis is a systemic disease first described by Stoler and associates in 1983, when they reported a 32-year-old patient with this disease. This patient has acquired immunodeficiency syndrome, and developed multiple subcutaneous nodules characterized. They were histologically diagnosed by a vascular proliferation. Bacillary forms were demonstrated, and the patient responded to erythromycin with an apparent cure, which is therapy in this case. It is commonly been described patients with AIDS and unusual cutaneous papules and nodules distinct from Kaposi sarcoma. Being unaware of its infectious origin, they called it epithelioid angiomatosis, which was wrong diagnosis. This name was selected because the deeper dermis has alterations similar to those of epithelioid hemangiomas. Problem was with endothelial cells adherent to one another in an epithelioid pattern, which is why the name was given. Its bacterial origin was later confirmed, and the name bacillary angiomatosis was proposed. Bacillary angiomatosis often responds to therapy with oral erythromycin, although other oral antibiotics and antituberculosis medications may also be effective.