I would like to say i am totally wishing i could give you all a answer but to my knowledge.. what is in our air could be culprit. I have found upon having severve throat pain and swelling after breathing in air it was raining at a drive in that something is really wrong with air.  i have both clavicle puffy swelling and got xray it shows black spots same size on both clavicles.. dr says it is normal .. well it is not normal i am going to see A oncologist my mom has lymphoma and because of fukishuma  we all are breathing daily radiation that has traveled we are not warned by media it is being downplayed too many cancers are poping everywhere so at least protect yourself from air wear a mask i do at times i will not stay outdoors unless i wear a mask..  I will wait dr said 1 week if swelling doesnt go down to come see him.  We can protect ourselves with baking soda look it up on youtube. it defeats cancer man with cancer takes it daily and he is better

Hello there I have had the same problem on both sides of my neck. Then from time to time right above my shoulders feel like smoeone is putting all of there weight on me.I have been to a ENT he said it was fatty pockets I ask him if it  could be removed he told me no because of all the viens that was in the neck.This was 5 years ago they were the size of a golf ball.Now they are the size of lemon can some help us please.

There is absolutely no connection to the air and my swelling.  I've been in several different environments and have gone for months without any swelling for at least the past five years.  I've inquired of four different doctors as to the reasons.  And there are no answers.  And I have no symptons of sore throat pain, or black spots or anything else like that...

I do not want to slight your symptoms or the possibility that cancer is in your family etc.  I do however think that the puffy swellings that others are experiencing as posted by bodine are common place and no one seems to have a better answer then tracydaniel that these seem to be fatty and fluid swellings that can come and go periodically because of various foods, stress, overloaded systems in the body that eventually clear up.  I have had this condition as I mentioned for at least five years and until I found this site... I had no idea how many people experience the same swelling.

Even my dentist commented and told me he had not seen anything like it before.  That started me on the search and scared me half to death.  That was two years ago too.

Keep posting and maybe one of us will figure this thing out.  Thanks for all your comments.  I think it helps when there are others in the same circumstance who are still not experiencing pain or other symptoms with this unusual occurence.

Thanks

Hi Everyone, nothing yet, but I found something called Cushing's syndrome that I'm going to ask my doctor to check into. I'm seeing an endocrinologist on Monday and am also scheduled for a contrast MRI. These lumps appeared 2 days after a cortisone shot, so I'm wondering if there is some correlation. I'm also experiencing other symptoms such as pain in my right jaw, elevated white blood count, bruising easily, menstrual irregularity, hair loss/dry brittle hair, insomnia, lethargy and depression. 

Keep surfing the net for other possible causes, I think it's important these days that we ask our doctors to check the things we find, along with what they think. Stay vigilant, we will find an answer. We will not let this beat us. 

You are NOT alone. My wife's symptoms began about 7 years ago also. Just after menopause. Her med. hx is; 56 y/o smoker, ex-heavy drinker, liver and kidney problems, gall bladder removed Jan '07, high B/P and Hypothyroidism. We moved to Mexico-South of Guadalajara in '03 and this began with cysts and "acne" in the pubic area shortly after. The swelling began on the left side of her neck and was intermittent. Gradually both sides began swelling and we thought it was edema (fluid in the tissues). After a few years and 4-5 Doctors the swelling became permanent and no answers. Both sides of neck over the clavicles (collar bones) are now constantly swollen and on Christmas Eve '11 it began in the front of her neck as well. Antibiotics: Seven to date from Ampicillin to Levoquin actually increase her WBC (White blood cells or Leukocytes) count. This month (Jan '12) she had a CAT scan and Ultrasound as well as more blood work. *note; She has had NO pain. Dermatologist treating her for the folliculitis in the pubic area with more antibiotics (Clindamycin) systemic and topical which helps until the antibiotic run is finished. CAT scan shows "enlarged lymph nodes R. side of neck (swollen area). Ultrasound shows "Adipose tissue" (subcutaneous fat) but no enlarged lymph nodes. WBC count with antibiotic tx was 13.9 on 03 Jan '12 (normal high is 10.0) after Clindamycin it was 15.4 Next M.D. treated her with Levoquin and her WBC went up to 17.9 Her only brother just passed away from Lymphoma. 69 y/o ex-smoker. Not one M.D. has any idea what this is. We have our own ideas but no solid diagnosis-yet. I am an Ret. PA/RN with 10 yrs. military experience and training in medicine and pharmacy and I am "tenacious and persistent". We would like to find a way to "spread the word". Draw more attention to this problem. Anyone reading this who knows computers/internet/blogging etc. please let us all know how to set up a site just for this problem. Thank you, Docmex

I have a new internal specialist. Went to my first appointment about 10 days ago. She seemed very eager to find out what is wrong with me and also very compassionate. She sent me for a chest CT scan. It came back good except it said "focal fusiform ectasia of the splenic artery at the splenic hilum where it measures up to 8 mm in diameter". Not sure what that means. She called me today to ask how I was feeling. Told her that my neck was swollen over the weekend and didn't feel so well. She said that the next time my neck swells up to come to the ER and tell the ER to call her. She said plan to be admitted into the hospital for testing. Praying for answers.....

Question for all of you - Please tell me if you have had cortisone shots, epidurals, prednisone, medrol dose packs, cortisone patches or cortisone in any form. I just found out a friend is having the same symptoms and she has had cortisone shots in her hips. Trying to find out if there is a connection.... 

Yes I had cortizone shots in my foot and was on prednisone pack right before this happened.

Dadams9041, My lumps in my neck appeared 2 days after my last cortisone shot. I don't have a definitive answer yet, but they took 12 vials of blood this morning and I am undergoing a 24 hour urine test. My MRI showed negative for any masses. Has your doctor checked you for Cushing's syndrome? I am in Los Angeles, where are you located?

Find a cure wrote:

Dadams9041 wrote:

I just visited a Cardiologist for tests and she said it could be related to Prednisone. Many develop these fatty-fluid filled lumps around lymph node areas.

Hi Find a cure!  I am near Cleveland Ohio. I did the 24 urine test and it was normal.

The one thing that I don't understand about the neck lumps is that they can come and go. They can be there one minute and a while later be gone, they can be there for days also,  and they can be small or big.

I'm on Medrol due to Rheumatoid Arthritis and also have this swelling - had the thyroid checked, ultrasound clear...my Rheumatologist said it was most likely a combination of the steroid with my RA....totally sucks tho as I hate the way it makes my neck and shoulders look. Also it's under my arms too and mamogram was clear

Hi Dadams9041, My lumps are larger and smaller as well. Along with getting tested for everything under the sun, I've decided to take a natural approach. I've completely changed my diet and am trying to eat for my blood type. (Type 0) I'm going to start a 10 day cleanse tomorrow, to try and clear the toxins from the cortisone and other meds out of my body. Exercise has been difficult due to the pain, but I do a gentle yoga class 3x week to help my mind/body. I know I have to do the things I can to reduce/maintain my weight (about 15 lbs over right now). I'm also going to go back to my acupuncturist to see if that helps. I understand what you wrote in your first post. I, too, am sick and tired of being sick and tired. Hang in there, we'll all get through this together. I can tell you this for sure, I will never use another steroid or cortisone product again. Best wishes, keep your faith.

Yes, that is when I developed the swellings over my collarbone - after taking Decadron which the dentist ordered after having a tooth extracted. But I did what you are not supposed to do: suddenly stop taking the pills (it should gradually be tapered over a 2-3 day period). As far as lumps varying in size, if I stand with my shoulders relaxed and slightly forward the lumps are hardly visible, but if I straighten up, throw my shoulders back, they pop out very noticeably. I definitely steer clear of steroids now!

guest wrote:

Find a cure wrote:

I take Methotrexate, Prednisone and have had cortisone shots. I mentioned the Prednisone in a past comment and my cardio doc suggested it could be related.