I'm 21 years old. I have swelling on the left side of neck above my collar bone which started 4-5 days ago when I sneezed. I have been sneezing a lot for the past couple of months, mostly in the mornings when I wake up. I'm a vegetarian and mostly eat organic or natural foods and take my vitamins(multi, b-complex, C) everyday. Only medication I take is Advair(I try not to take medication) for my asthma which recently flared up this year. Went to the doctor yesterday to check on my blood results and the swelling in my neck, he didn't know what it was exactly. I told him when I sneezed, that i had felt the soreness around the left side of my neck above my collar bone. He told me that it could've been a bleb? that came from my lungs and shot up into my neck area and will maybe be absorbed by the body if I wait? Nobody in this forum mentioned sneezing as the cause so far....My blood results on the other hand, has been abnormal for a whole year now because my lymphocites are higher than my neutrophils...as of now I am being sent to a hemotologist next Tuesday. As of yesterday night, i felt that the swelling is spreading to my shoulder also. I don't want to be another that is going to be sent through a line of doctors just to get no answers. So if the hemotologist isn't sure either....I'm going to try my own methods from the little knowledge I have of the body's well-being. I wish the best for you all too.

I think you may have just noticed this for the first time when you sneezed (rather than sneezing being the cause of it). Advair is a steroid and one of the possible side effects is: "Endocrine and Metabolic: Cushing’s syndrome, Cushingoid features, hypercorticism, hyperglycemia, osteoporosis." Many of the posts here indicate member had been taking some form of steroid for different complaints (asthma, pain, etc). But if you are having abnormal blood reasonings maybe you should follow through with your doctors to make sure you don't have something else going on. I hope you start feeling better soon!

I am a retired PA/RN USAF and I have to agree with the above reply. This may simply be a "bleb" but I doubt it is from the lungs. However, I suggest you continue to monitor this (as I'm sure you will) and if it continues, changes, becomes painful please write again so we can follow you. The lymphocyte elevation is a cause for concern. Please keep us up to date with any findings. My wife's CAT scan (Jan '12) shows enlarged lymph nodes on the right side but the Ultrasound only shows adipose (fat) tissue on both sides. We all have questions. Do not give up-we'll figure it out. Docmex

Well, that explains a lot heh...I should just stop taking that stuff then. Thanks a lot, I hope i feel better too.

I will not quit, and will definitely keep you guys up to date. Can't wait to know the cause as well to my lymphocite raise in number. I'm going to stop the Advair and resort to natural resources for my asthma for now. Good luck to your wife also.

Hi -  I'm 62. I noticed swelling, both sides of neck behind collar bone, about six weeks ago. A little achy, but not serious pain. I'd been applying a cortizone ointment for a few weeks prior to this odd condition. I'm a bit long in the tooth to believe doctors can do anything but muck it up more. So, I think your on to something, people. We'll see if abstinence is enough to remedy this problem. Keep the faith.

Hi Everyone!  A lot has happened since I last posted. I put together a binder with all of my test results (lab reports, scan reports, ultrasound reports, etc...). This way when I go to different doctors I can have them all with me. I also took posts from this healthboard to share with my doctor. When I went into my drs office this time she was able to see my neck swelling first hand...finally! Before I could only show her pictures as the neck swelling comes and goes.

I ended up in the hospital on observation for 3 days. They ran different blood tests, xrays, and vascular ultrasounds. The only thing that showed up was that I have Osteoarthritus in my neck (c6,c7), and my ANA blood test showed Positive, 1:160, diffuse pattern. The test said that the nuclear antibody titers in this range are associated with Systemic Lupus Erythematosus. So I went to see a rhumetologist after being discharged. He is running some other antibody blood tests. He is also sending me for physical therapy. The Rhumetologist also saw my neck swelling. Before I left his office, he did an ultrasound of the area on the sides of my neck that is swollen and said there is nothing there, only fatty tissue. He said he thinks the swellings are supraclavicular fat pads, but doesn't know why I would have them. My cortizol levels are good so he doesn't suspect Cushings Disease. I will now await the lab tests....

I am thinking of all of you....hoping one of us can get some answers that we are all seeking!

Hi Dadams9041,

I, too, underwent some tests and discovered my Vitamin D levels are very low, which is contributing to my chronic pain and other issues. I had no idea how debilitating low D levels can be and how many illnesses are related to this one deficiency. I strongly suggest to everyone to get their D levels checked. I'm also dealing with adrenal fatigue which is also causing pain, lethargy and headaches among other things. I'm fortunate to have found some great doctors, because from what I'm reading, adrenal fatigue is not something that most doctors look at, or even treat.

The are 2 specialists who have agreed to see me regarding the fatty lumps in my neck. I see them in April. My orthopedic surgeon says he believes there is fluid along with fatty tissue in the lumps. He also feels it was caused by the cortisone. I saw another doctor who says he has seen these lumps before and they are caused by prednisone, cortisone or any form of steroids. He said they should go away in 3-5 years as long as I don't take any other form of a steroid. I'm certainly not thrilled about that answer and am still hoping I find a way to get rid of them sooner! 

The bottom line is my doctor feels the cortisone and prednisone caused the adrenal issues and my use of pain killers and muscle relaxants depleted my vitamin D levels and further stressed my adrenals. I've been off the hard drugs for a little over a month now and am taking good care of my body to aid in the recovery. The doc said I'm looking at 6 months to a year or longer for my body to return to normal. I want my life back sooner, but I have to accept where I'm at. Another suggestion for everyone is keep seeing other doctors if you're not getting the results you want! Look into alternative medicines as well. Find a doctor who strongly believes in using natural supplements to help you heal the underlying issue rather than pain killers, steroids, muscle relaxants, etc. to just deal with the symptoms. In my case, these drugs only furthered my problems. I'm not against western medicine when needed, but am certainly open to eastern philosophies and would rather put something natural in my body rather than a narcotic.

My best wishes and prayers to all who are dealing with health issues. 

To Find a cure,

I think doing some type vegetable/fruit juice fasting or some type of master cleanse for 1-2 weeks will help clean and rid the body of all toxins. I also know that rebound(trampoline) exercises is good for flushing out the lymphnodes if done on a regular basis, might speed up the process even more. I feel that doctor knew what he was talking about. I recently started taking Advair(asthma med), and somehow this lump appeared later on.

In other news, I went to the hemotologist today, got some blood drawn out and was given an antbiotic(can't remember the name of it, I am picking it up from the pharmacy today). I also have a new symptom that appeared 3 days ago; I woke up with alittle pain in my right nostril. It hurts when the slightest pressure is put on the right side of my nose and its kinda swollen. I let the doctor know about that, and the lump of my neck also. She said in my neck there is a swollen lymph node. My nose, sinus infection. She says my body is fighting some type of infection. I have to go in a week to see my blood results and get blood drawn out again to see if the antibiotics are making a difference. Again will keep you guys posted.

Lenise, So far the one thing all seem to have in common is; an infection "somewhere". Enlarged (swollen) lymph nodes play a part in "most" as well. Antibiotic regimes have no effect on the swelling on the "sides of the neck" which on my wife is actually over the trapezius muscles. These are the muscles between your shoulders and the base of your neck. No pain. High WBC (white blood cell count) is also a symptom which relates to infection "somewhere" in the body. Please keep us up to date with the blood work results. Thank you for your input and take care. Docmex

How many of us have TMJ??

Has anyone ever mentioned thoracic outlet syndrome? This condition is caused by a rib compressing on a blood vessel or nerve or both.

Hi guest, my doctor said he felt the lumps were caused by a form of steroids. I've had prednisone, epidurals and cortisone shots. Ever since my last cortisone shot, my health has been less than desirable. The lumps also appeared 2 days after my last cortisone shot. I also discovered I'm dealing with Vit D deficiency and adrenal fatigue, so, unfortunately, I have a lot going on. My doctor is recommending a special MRI for me, as he believes I have Thoracic Outlet Syndrome, but I have not heard or made any connection between the lumps and the TOC, what connection have you made? It seems most here have had some sort of steroid, but I am curious as to the TOC connection...?

Hi everyone!

I received my antibody blood tests back for Lupus and they are negative. Dr left me a message on my voice mail saying tests are negative, you are a healthy woman with a positive ANA. I thought, are you crazy? I am so far from being healthy it isn't even funny. I will see that doctor (Rhumetologist) again in April.

So today I went back to my internal specialist. She said all your tests lead to a healthy woman. Do you think this could all be psychological?? I said NO, the last I knew psychological problems did not consist of neck swelling, neck pain, and dizziness.

We then discussed the theory of the steroids causing the neck swelling. She said that you would have to be on the steroids for long term for them to cause swelling like that. She believes the neck swelling is not caused by steroids. I think I disagree with her. To me, it is the only logical explanation at this point.

She gave me an order to go have a mammogram, told me to call a ENT dr she recommended and said I will see you in 3-4 months. I said 3-4 months, that is a long time??? I said to her you really don't know what to do to help me, do you? She said with a sad face, "I don't, I am sorry". She said make an appointment for one month if you think 3-4 months is too long. So I cried all the way home. I am so tired of being sick, tired of going from doctor to doctor and getting no where. I don't really think any of the drs really wants to take the time to figure it all out. It's not the health insurance because I have great benefits with no referrals needed. I am tired of them looking at me like I'm crazy. I have to make an appointment with the ENT doctor and then I am thinking of giving up......