Hello good to see the thred here I am 32 Female a mother of one child, have been told I have PCOS witch is a hormaonal disorder, and I have the gel like swelling from time to time sometimes painful and I feel a little sick when they are really swollen more just head ache, tired and dizzy, usually one will swell more the the other. I am overwieght and have high bp choleserol and slightly high Blood sugar, for someone so young I have some issues that if I don't correct my diet and exersize these things are bound to become major issues. I don't have a clue as to what these sweelings are but have been told my first ribs dislocate from time to time causing the mucels and tendons to be moved and streched out of place and the swelling is infact lymphatic fluid that cannot get to where it needs to go. I have been given mucel relaxents and physical therapy and massuage and that dose help alot. Hope this is helpfull also there is a lyphatic massauge given to mastectomy pacients the dose reduce adeam you might want to look up and have a loved one do to you to see if that helps....

Hi everybody, I have the same symptoms you have been describing for about nearly 2 months. I have just started taking a low dose of Estrogen as my bones have been aching and fatigue. I have just turned 48 and went to get an ultrasound yesterday. The doctor came in and looked at it and asked if I was on any medication and when I told him I was on Estrogen he said it probably is that. The estrogen can act like a steriod. So I am getting some xrays tomorrow also and then will see my normal GP and my Gyno next week. Looks like I may have to stop taking the estrogen. Which is a shame as the aching in my bones has been relieved.

Hi i have also noticed a gel like swelling above the clavicle particulalry on the left side (that's how I found this site!) - going to the doctors today - can't say I feel unwell but have noticed a very low grade nausea, very mild headache and some stiffness in the neck and sometimes a dullish pain in the upper arm - all very mild. Will be interesting to see what the doctor says and if he orders any tests - will let you know - I am also considering going to a dentist to just make sure it's not somehting to do with teeth!

Hi all - just noticed the same thing today - left side also. I think it's weird that we are all (maybe mostly - I skimmed the psots) women & many people listed having thyroid issues. (I do too.) Hopefully one of us can find an answer...

I woke up this morning with these symptoms you all describe. More swelling on the right than left. Very bizarre. Have doctors appointment tomorrow anyways, so will see what he says and post later. Scared me.

I am a 50 year old woman who up until the past 6 months has been pretty healthy. Six months ago, my world has fallen apart with being sick. My neck swells on both sides above my collarbone. I feel nauseated and lightheaded, dizzy, as well as have breathing difficulties. My throat feels tightened which makes me feel like I am being choked. At times the back of my neck hurts horribly. I feel an overwelming feeling of being very sick at times where I don't feel like I can function. At times, I wonder if I am going to die soon. The one thing that puzzles me is that it comes and goes. Some days I have better days when I feel ok and others I am a mess. For about 6 weeks, I didn't have any symptoms and thought I just had a virus and it went away. I have missed over 200 hours of work and don't know where to turn next. I have been to two different medical doctors in two different hospital systems and many specialty doctors (Endocronologist, Pulmonary, 2 different ENT doctors, Neurologist, cardiologist, visit from head radiologist who did an ultrasound on my neck area, and an allergist). I have been to three different hospitals, one which I spent four days at running tests. I have had MRI's, MRA's, Cat scans with dye of neck and head, and Cat scans without dye of chest. I've had ultrasounds of thyroid, carotid arteries, heart, and swollen neck area. I have had numerous blood tests, allergy tests, xrays, a sleep study, a throat scope, and physical therapy on my neck. No one knows what is wrong with me. Some tell me to lose weight, and some say all my tests are normal, so it must be stress. One said it is probably air in my neck, another says maybe it's water retention. Another said maybe it's fatty tissue. Through the many tests the only things that have been determined is that my thyroid has two small nodules that they don't feel is the problem, and I have low oxygen levels at night when I am sleeping, but it is not sleep apnea. I have been put on 2 liters of oxygen at night to sleep. I was on steroids on and off for several months before all this started. I had been on several oral doses of prednisone and had a couple shots of cortisone for a foot problem. I have had mild asthma since I was 30, but not that bad. I have only one ovary from cysts when I was in my 20's, and then had endometrial ablation about 5 years ago. I am desperate to find out what is going on with me. I am very sick of being sick and I just want to have my life back again.

Yes, I too have many of these symptoms. Swelling above the collar bone, mostly on the left but sometimes on the right also. This happens when I use my arms alot at work, lifting ect. I am in alot of pain by the time the swelling is there. I have alot of pain throughout my body, but it seems to be mostly on the left. But from my toes to my neck. I also have hypothyroidism and osteoarthritis. At times it is hard to tell if it is my swelling that is hurting or my shoulder. Either way - I have been checked out pretty thoroughly with blood tests, xrays, MRI and I am on meds. I have also been checked for Rhumatoid arthritis. I get regular mamograms and nothing there either. Still no answers. I don't want to go back until I can't take the pain anymore. They are starting to look at me like I'm nuts. Good Luck everyone. I'll be watching to see if anyone can find out anything. Of course I will post if I have anything to share.

This is my opinion - not to be taken as advice - I was told by my MD that the swelling is a fat pad. For all the other ailments - if I don't get the answer for ailments from a conventional medicine I look to alternative ways to treat my symptoms. I have been a nurse for over 30 years. you can google your symptoms. That is not to say alternative medicine can treat a head injury or ruptured apendix. Just saying the body can heal itself given time. Many times the conventional treatments cause other problems. Prednisone for example should be the last line of treatment. Yes it temporarily makes you feel better but does not cure anything.

My doctor told me not everything is medically explainable. He feels it may be an allergic reaction but if it doesn't go away he wants to know about it. Well, I've had it for about a month and will see him again in two weeks. Very bizarre. Said he could put me on steroids but he didn't want to unless absolutely necessary.

Hi everybody, I still dont have an answer about my neck swelling. I am going to see an Ear, Nose and Throat Spec in about 2 weeks time now. I have what I think is post nasal drip as I always feel like I have flem in my throat that I need to get rid of> Maybe the swelling is something leaking? Will let you know further.

I recently noticed the same swelling: Gel pack above left collar bone close to neck and swollen left arm pit. I am also hypothyroid but have been treating with meds for years with regular checkups. Dr did an ultrasound and found that my lymph nodes were normal size. I was also diagnosed with Panic Disorder last november. Had a root canal on the back left molar last September.

Sooo. Dr said that she believes that the swelling is caused by me clinching my jaw which causes excess fluid buildup and it drains by gravity into those areas. I am always anxious and definitely clinch my teeth a lot, dont grind, just clinch. She swears it's a stress thing. What does anyone think of this? With me having Panic Disorder, I am so worried about health related issues that I end up not trusting my doctors. It just runs thru my head over and over. Any help would be great!

Smrt1997: Wow! I do the same thing, find myself clinching my teeth a lot, and probably at night also. This is the most logical thing I've heard yet. I see my doctor next week, I still have the swelling and see what he thinks of this explanation! :-) I'm thinking it may have to do with stress.

Saw the doctor yesterday, he ordered bloodwork.. a CBC, EBV (mono) and CMV (possibly from all my grandbabies snotty noses.) He said if those tests show nothing he will send me to an internist who would possibly do more bloodwork and a possible biopsy of the fluid where the swelling is. I've had this swelling for over 2 months now. Anyone else find any information yet or has your swelling disappeared? My bloodwork will take about 48 hours so should hear something next week and go from there.

I have this same swelling and have for a coupla years. I've been to my general physician, my cardiologist, my nueologist, my endoenerologist,  had ct scans, mris, had x-rays, had bloodwork, had the works. I'm 58, normal weight, never drank, never did drugs, never smoked, and still had no answers. Then the arthritis in my shoulders started to bother me so I saw a chiropracter and the first thing she said was, "the swelling in you neck bothers me!  DING DING DING DING!! BINGO!! HIT THE JACK POT for me!!  Eventually my arthritis got so bad I had shoulder surgery 2 weeks ago and the only place that the swelling was noticable was right there at my collar bone.  I go back to the orthopedic in a coupla weeks and I will ask him why is the arthritis in my shoulders causing the swelling in my collarbones.

I have the swelling on the left side above the clavical.  No pain, just a gel like feeling.  I exercise every other day, lift weights, etc.  I'm thinking that may have caused it.  Have done nothing out of the ordinary.  I check it every day, stays the same.  I'll eventually go to the doc.