I'm 37-year's-old and for probably the past 4-5 months, after every period, which last about 3-4 days, I have been having this brown discharge after period: a brownish, mucousy discharge, sometimes stringy looking, for about a week following my periods. It really doesn't have any odor; however, my last period, which started two weeks early, did have a strong odor, and I have had lower abdominal cramping with it. I had a tubal back in 1996. I have had one child by c-section in 1992. I've been with my husband since 1992, but cheated on him this past Aug. 2005, and in 2006 with four different men. After the first two, I was tested and had a basic bacterial infection. Since then, I was with a third man once and the same guy a third time. The last time I was with anyone other than my husband was Dec. 18th. This problem, as far as abdominal discomfort didn't start until this last period. But the brownish discharge started months ago. I have no insurance, so basically I usually just have to go to the emergency room. There is a local health clinic, but sometimes it takes a while to get in for an appointment. In the meantime, can you give me an idea what this might be? I've read on here a lot of women saying they had the discharge before their period, but mine goes on a week after my period. Thanks

Hi there! I have periods when some bloody discharge follows my periods. It sounds just like yours. I talked to my gyno about it, she told me it was normal and that it was just old blood cleaning from the vagina, so she put my mind at ease.

Have you been taking BC pills for regulating periods after tubal ligation? I know it’s been long but you never know. These bc pills can cause menstrual irregularities that is why I quit them after just three months.

Anyway, I think it’s normal to have abdominal cramping with periods (at least it is for me but it could be new to you).

But you’re 37 and you may be already experiencing some hormonal changes as you are slowly approaching perimenopause. This is all just guessing and it makes it harder knowing it isn’t so easy for you to have it checked. You could have also developed ovarian cysts. It doesn’t sound like an STD to me although Chlamydia could be asymptomatic and cause only few symptoms.

I think you should wait and see what happens with your next period. If they become way too painful, or abnormal, then you may go to the ER.

Some of the main symptoms of vaginal cysts can be pain during periods in the pelvic region during periods, vaginal spotting, pain during intercourse but they too can be asymptomatic.

Anyway, I think I wrote down way too many possibilities, so you may find this frightening. Don’t be, just wait for your next period and act on it.

I hope everything turns out just fine.

When you say that this happens right after your period ends, I am wondering whether this spotting could essentially still be part of your period, rather than being spotting between periods. Do you know what I mean? You should be concerned if you stop your menstrual flow and THEN start spotting, but this is probably just your body getting rid of endometrial tissues still left over from your period. 

I do know one thing for sure and that's that it is a good idea to make an appointment any time you are worried. If nothing is wrong, you can stop worrying. If the appointment turns something up, you can get treatment. 

That's happening to me too!!! I am 45 and haven't had sex in almost two years and have not had an STD so I'm pretty certain it is not sex related. Have you since gotten an answer? I haven't been able to see a doctor yet.

Many thansk!!!!

jojosocrazy wrote:

I'm 37-year's-old and for probably the past 4-5 months, after every period, which last about 3-4 days, I have been having a brownish, mucousy discharge, sometimes stringy looking, for about a week following my periods. It really doesn't have any odor; however, my last period, which started two weeks early, did have a strong odor, and I have had lower abdominal cramping with it. I had a tubal back in 1996. I have had one child by c-section in 1992. I've been with my husband since 1992, but cheated on him this past Aug. 2005, and in 2006 with four different men. After the first two, I was tested and had a basic bacterial infection. Since then, I was with a third man once and the same guy a third time. The last time I was with anyone other than my husband was Dec. 18th. This problem, as far as abdominal discomfort didn't start until this last period. But the brownish discharge started months ago. I have no insurance, so basically I usually just have to go to the emergency room. There is a local health clinic, but sometimes it takes a while to get in for an appointment. In the meantime, can you give me an idea what this might be? I've read on here a lot of women saying they had the discharge before their period, but mine goes on a week after my period.

Thanks

Girl,

You should try to sticking with your husband or get a divorce! What is the use of staying married if your going to be fooling around & worrying about the consequences? Ok, well unless you live in a trailer & are used to sleeping around then that’s just the way you were raised, strictly by example! How Sad! But if not grab on to your dignity!

But honestly, why even put your husband at risk for STD or HIV, OR even put yourself at risk for that matter?

What a tragedy that would be if you got an STD or HIV from fooling around…. He would eventually find out!! That is one of the reasons why men go nuts and want to kill their wives! Women just don’t get it! You are not exempt from Consequences!

If your going through a mid-life crisis just be honest with your husband & tell him your feelings have changed & no longer want to keep playing the role of acting like everything is alright. IF you have kids what a shame that their mommy is slobbering all over some other guys Pee Pee & coming home to Daddy & bringing him the left over’s. It’s sad to see women ruin their kids life forever just for a couple of nights of Lust! And when those Kids grow up they are going to have minimal respect for you as a mother & as a woman for that matter!

If you do get an STD & by the way there is many not just Clamydia or Gonorrhea all having the related symptoms. Discharge Abs pain etc. P.S. a bacterial infection sounds like your "MediCal" doctor just said its just an infection not to worry you (an In-n-Out visit) BUT I bet you he didn't even test you for any STD's... Right????? Right!!!!!!!!!!!

You better Hope you don’t have HIV or Any STD's, just because you look healthy or the Guys your cheating on your husbands with look healthy doesn’t mean they are not HIV+. And yes you can get HIV from Oral Sex, chances are smaller than Sex but the risk is still there & why even risk it. Karma is waiting to Blast you & it will ONE DAY in one form or another!

The bottom line is not to be judgmental but honest, Obviously your lack good friends to be honest with you. If your friends haven’t already given you that advice, they are not really your friends! Sad to say But it seems like your one of those type of women who have no clue as to what they want in life. If that were true you would of been honest with yourself & made a decision to be open with your husband & move on.

Obviously your wandering & Cheating will never fill you & the bottom line is that you never will be happy unless you keep repeating what you have done in the past. I don’t know how your husband is he may treating you like trash, but AGAIN get a divorce if your not happy! Don’t be stupid & get caught, your excuse means c**p!

2 things are going to happen, #1 you will eventually get caught & train wreck your family forever. By this time you will be seen for who you really are & those around you will lose respect for you!

Or #2 you decide to take this advice get help & be honest with yourself & husband & either try to work it out or get a divorce & do things the right way for YOURSELF and for your kids IF you have any.

The bottom line is those men you have slept with have lost total respect for you and can never see themselves having anything to do with you other than sex, Trust me if you feel other wise than your problem is that you are delusional & in your own little world where reality doesn’t exist.

Do your self a favor, hold on to your dignity & do what is right!

P.S. do yourself a favor & look up how many STD's there are... That would put a good scare in you! Or you could just be stupid & not want to see truth of the many risks out therte & find out after you already have them!

Good Luck! Your gonna need it!

Judgmental much?

jojosocrazy
i have the same situation with you: discharge for a few days after period with brown/blood in the discharge+ pelvic discomfort.
have you sorted out what's the cause?
i am very worried.

I am 18 years old and I need some serious help! i started my period July 25th and it is now August 2nd. I am having this semi-cramps in my left side everyone once in a while. I am bleeding or letting out brown and red think blood or what not...every day! Sometimes I become itchy but not most now. I don't know what to do and I honestly can't find any where to help me find out what I've done! I can't really take a day off of work to go and see since I am in construction it is very hard to just up and take off a day when your boss needs your help! So, I need advice if someone could be as so kind to give me some to help me know what i've gotten!

i`m 14; and i have this brown discharge..i just got off my period; and i`m not sure what it's from..also right after my period i had sex; for the first time.he used a condom; so i didn't think it was an STD.the brown discharde has been coming for 3days so far.when will it stop?will it ever stop?is it a STD?

respond back to me. i dont have anyone to talk to about this.
contact me on JAZMINXXBOO@aim.com
please & thank you

Female Health
Vaginal Discharge

Vaginal discharge is normal and varies during your menstrual cycle. Before ovulation (the release of the egg), there is A LOT of mucous produced, up to 30X more than after ovulation. It is also more watery and elastic during that phase of your cycle. You may want to wear panty liners during that time.

The things to be worried about include if the discharge has a yellow or green color, is clumpy like cottage cheese, or has a bad odor. If worried, see a doctor.

Different Types of Discharge
Is this normal?

Different Types of Discharge

White: Thick, white discharge is common at the beginning and end of your cycle. Normal white discharge is not accompanied by itching. If itching is present, thick white discharge can indicate a yeast infection.

Clear and stretchy: This is "fertile" mucous and means you are ovulating.

Clear and watery: This occurs at different times of your cycle and can be particularly heavy after exercising.

Yellow or Green: May indicate an infection, especially if thick or clumpy like cottage cheese or has a foul odor.

Brown: May happen right after periods, and is just "cleaning out" your vagina. Old blood looks brown.

Spotting Blood/Brown Discharge: This may occur when you are ovulating/mid-cycle. Sometimes early in pregnancy you may have spotting or a brownish discharge at the time your period would normally come. If you have spotting at the time of your normal period rather than your usual amount of flow, and you have had sex without using birth control, you should check a pregnancy test.

so i have had a period the last two months, they seem alot lighter and last very shorter, my average is just the full week on my period and then im off but recently it's been cut down to maybe four days tops and its that brown nasty discharge that keeps coming out its got a very fowl odor and has actually handicaped me sexually, my finacee doesnt mind it but it raises a cause for concern because my body has never done this. In the begginning i was a few days late starting my period but thats nothing new considering my period has a tendency to show itself wen it wants being worried i went to a local drug store and bought both an infection testing kit and a pregnancy kit and i tested negative on both, the next few days i was extremely bloated moody and having severe cramps, the period itself came out all brown lasted about four days and then never stopped after that i wood go to the bathroom and it would come out in the toilet so it was enough to actually use a pad or tampon just enough to occasionally gross me out, after awhile i realized my body was having wut seemed like premenstrual cramps, they hurt and made me lazy but no period just the brown discharge, thinking my period had been over the future husband and i ended up getting intimate and thats when i decided to stop because there was brown blood everywhere and it was a horrible mess and smell , it didnt bother him strangely enough and he managed to get me to believe it would eventually stop and i would be back to normal however it didnt, it hasnt gotten worse but i would still like to know whats going on in my body. the problem with just getting up and going to a doctor is i dont have medical insurance at the time and dont have money to spend on a big ass bill. i've been extremely irritable and then ontop of it i feel sick alot i cant drink as much as i used to because it kills my stomache and i cant hold it down, i cood be just fine one second then do sumthing and get bad abdominal cramps with nothing coming out, if i even attempt to have sex sumtimes theres alot of brown blood and sumtimes very little but the odor is always there no ITS DISGUSTING and it totally kills my sex drive, unfortunatly the lover doesnt care but I DOOO!!!!! i honestly have been aware its possible i could be pregnant but with all the brown blood its hard to tell when i should test can sumone please help a lady out with some good advice?!!!! I'm dying over here and im very scared!!! thanx you guys very much

That is highly rude . this is somewhere we can go to be honest and ask for help ! Letting us know about sexual encounters help clear the situation to make it easier to get answers. letting us know she was with other men , even though shes married helps let us know that maybe its not a normal thing shes going through, or that it is .
if you dont like whats being said get off !

You are so judgmental. Who are you? She is here asking for advice, putting embarrassing facts in the open hoping someone can help her. One person alone can judge and last i checked, their name was not "theguzmanfam" if you are so unhappy in your own life they all you can do is sit online and judge others personal life, maybe you should turn that microscope inward for some much needed self inspection....clearly, this woman isnot the only "thats going to need it" jerk.

I'm pretty sure she's old enough to understand the dangers out there you m***n. It takes courage to get on here and admit this. I hope you feel good about yourself...what a banter!

Guzmanfam,

How dare you get on a site of help and criticize another individual's way of living. I highly doubt you are a saint, let alone in any position to judge.  I'm pretty sure that if she wanted to hear a lecture she would have talked to her parents or even her husband for all of that. However, she came to this site for HELP! Your immature and somewhat irrelevant essay was unnecessary and downright malicious. This lady is  a grown woman who most likely knows the dangers of sex. Unlike your condescending attitude, her honesty was respectable. I suggest you get off your high horse and grow up!