Hey everyone. My sister found this dog in front of her doors. She has some experience with dogs, and I am pretty sure that she would not pick him up if he was not sick. She saw that this dog is in pain, and she decided to help him. We both think that he run away from his owner. To cut long story short, she saw that he has problem with anal gland, so I was wondering what are treatment options for dog’s ruptured anal gland? She will take him to the vet for two days, that is why we need to know more as soon as possible. Tnx in advance! 

Hello there!

It is so nice of your sister and you that you’re trying to help the poor dog. I don’t think that I’m exaggerating when I say that people like you are the reason for everyone to have faith in humanity.

Ruptured anal gland is a common problem in dogs and when you take the dog to the vet he will explain you the details. 

There are several treatment options. If the glands are ruptured and are causing a lot of problems for the dog, the vet can decide to surgically remove them.

The procedure is done very frequently and pretty much every vet can perform it.

It really makes me so sad when I hear or read that someone was able to abandon a dog. Especially because I just can imagine how they treated this dog, since he is pretty much sick. It makes me so furious. But, still, I am glad that there are some good people who are there to help those animals. I see that you can’t wait, but if you don’t have experience with ruptured anal gland, you should find a vet, just to see this. This is so common, a lot of dogs have problem with it. It is not  hard to deal with it, but I repeat, if you don’t have experience, don’t do it alone. 

Hello there :)

I just can't say how sad I am to hear this, but like others say, I am glad because you can still find a good people. Adopting a pet, even if this is temporary, it is so nice. . Even, if you want to take care of your dog for a while, you should visit your vet - just to see is he healthy.  About this, don’t worry. A lot of pets have this problem as well... I also want to suggest her to visit the vet, as soon as possible. Vet should always be a first option. 

The treatment includes antibiotics I think. My friend’s dog had ruptured anal gland and he was on antibiotics for several days.

If you want my advice, go to the local pet shop or a vet clinic and see if you can find an e-collar. Buy it. It will prevent your dog from biting the under tail area and that way the situation won’t get worse than it already is.

There is of course always the possibility that the vet will examine your dog’s condition and determine that he needs a surgical procedure.

This is not a bad option since it solves the problem in long term.

One thing is for sure – you need to visit the vet, especially if you don’t know how to deal with it. My friend Samantha had this problem with her dog, a lot of times, and I do believe that the best option for her dog were antibiotics. Her dog was healed after taking antibiotics, and that is why I would recommend you to see and ask your vet about antibiotics. You don’t have to worry if you find a solution on the time. And, I really do hope that your dog doesn’t need to go to the operation. I hope that it is nothing so serious. 

Hi, guys.

It is very noble from two of you helping this dog. His lucky star shinned a bit brighter when faith led him to your front door.

As for his treatment, it all depends on severity of the rupture. If it is small one, it can be cured with antibiotics, but in case a rupture is deep or heavy this dog will need a surgery.

Only your vet can determine this and I recommend you (or your sister) visit him as soon as possible. I really hope poor little guy will be ok. My prayers are with him.

Good luck!

P.S.

If his real owner ever shows up, threaten him with a sue for negligence!