Having just (1 week ago) had this surgery c5-c6 I made the mistake of reading some of these entries beforehand which had the effect of worrying me stupid (needlessly) I assumed the only people motivated to blog were those with issues & I would be best to focus on having a positive attitude knowing full well I had no other option anyway. I am glad I adopted that attitude & hope that anyone else that these horror stories is causing concern for largely ignores them & accepts that there are many thousands of people who have succesfully had this surgery & made the fullest recoveries possible. Post op I have had little pain or discomfort other than what any intelligent person might reasonably expect after surgery & I will continue to participate fully in the recovery process & ensure I dont languish in self pity that will inevitably have a negative impact on my recovery which I expect will be as uneventful as the surgery itself

I am 7 weeks out from acdf on c-4 c-5. this is my second acdf. the last one was 5 years ago on c-5 c-6, i was constantly in pain not major pain but pain and was on vicodin.. in Nov 2012, i stated having symptoms again ,only this one I heard go.. hernination. of 4-5.. im in some pain. but mainly from the nerves regenerating. Those take time... but you body has to readjust to the spine being normal height again. i assure you.. this part of recovery is no fun. but in the end.. physical therapy and time.. the pain does go away. just have to change the lifestyle just a bit.. hope you all have a speedy road to full recovery of no pain... as I am sure we will all be there soon.

I just found this thread today.  I hope the original poster, Robert is doing well 4 years out!  It was disappointing to not see any recent updates!  April 23rd I will be 1 year post-op ACDF c4-c-6.  Before surgery, my pain was unbearable and disabling.  I had severe nerve pain in my shoulder and was on a constant rotation of Percocet and/or Vicodin.  The narcotics spawned migraines so then I had to get on migraine meds and anti-seizure meds to counteract the migraines.  After surgery, the pain disappeared, recovery really wasn't all that bad.  I am however, left with pain at the base of my skull.  At times I regret the surgery but then I have to remind myself of the excruciating pain I was in before.  Yoga seems to help with the neck pain but I have come to accept I will never be the same.  At only 43, this is a bummer but reading stories on here, there's always someone who has it far worse!  Unfortunately Percocet and Vicodin don't even touch my pain anymore and I'm still at risk of getting a Migraine if I take either of them.  Good luck to all who are experiencing these types of issues!

I had the ACDF procedure on C5/6 and c6/7 on 17 June 2013. I have experienced none of the problems others seem to have had. I was ready to be up and around on day 3 but followed doctor instructions, mostly, and stayed down for six weeks. In all honestly, I was doing house work in week 2, but don't tell my doc. I had Percocet and Robaxin for pain and spasms and took Benadryl for the itching caused by the Percocet. I am 8 weeks post Op and operating at about 8-% of where I was before. I could likely do more, but am making a real effort to take things slow.

Sleeping was hard initially until I found a way to adjust the pillows. I word a hard collar for the first 4 weeks (supposed to be 6) and started coming out of it slowly. I did find the first few days out of the color to be difficult as my head was accustomed to being supported by the collar.

Having this procedure was one of the best decisions I have ever made. Yes, I am only 8 weeks out, but I feel fantastic! I hope that others on this blog are doing better!

New to post.......just had acdf surgery 1 WK ago. On percocets 1/2 every 4 to 6 hrs. Trying not to take 2 @ a time but the pain level is high I have to take 2. Can anyone tell me what to expect in the few wks. Feeling anxious

Good for you. Enjoy your pain free life as much as you can

This is exactly what I am afraid of if I opt for this procedure. The C5/6 disc is impinging on the cord and my N/Surgeon says that if I trip or fall I will be paralysed from the neck down, but I truly do not want this op unless the benefits ARE going to outweigh the problems fh
Post 1

Hi, Im a 40 yr old female,  had my ACDF C4/5/6 with titanium plate  7 months ago in March 2013 and feeling pretty good.  I no longer have the tingling and numbness in my arms.  I often get these weird feeling spasms in the front of my neck where the surgeon cut me...probably still healing in there lol.  Im able to work, walk, and do light exercises pretty much without fatigue.  I cant sit for long periods of time, have to get up and walk around. Im not quite 100%, but I'm getting there and feeling much better than before the surgery.  I've read so many bad ACDF surgery experiences on here...you are all in my thoughts and prayers.  I just wanted to share my positive experience for those considering this surgery.  I wish you all good luck and good health!!!

Robert, I had surgery C5-7 6 weeks ago, so I'm enjoying your posts. Had a cage and bone stimulator as well. Neurosurgeon expects me to wear the collar for 3 months. Sleeping has been the hardest part for me. I find that I sleep best with my back straight up and one of those travel neck pillows keeping my head straight but relaxed. Every once in a while, I have woken up at night gasping for breath when sleeping on my side. I think (hope) this is just part of the recovery, and it will go away. Pretty much only take the pain pills when my back gets sore from lugging my head/collar around.

My name is Mark, for the record I had C4 C5 C6 removed and C3 C4 C5 C6 C7 fused together Jan 13, 2013 of last year. My cord was almost being push my 2 spurs, one disk was pushing cord to the 1/2 way point. I was so glad I had the surgery, my Doctor was great. No problems at all 14 months out now. It was life saving and it kept me out of a wheel chair as I was told. I am so thankful to my doctor and the great heavenly father. My prayers was answered for sure.

2 level acdf 4/5 and 5/6 . No recovery at all. 15 months out increased pain, decreased function. Biggest mistake of my life.

I have surgery 11/29/17. I had 3 ruptured disk. I have constant muscle spasms that are so painful. My doctor have taken me off of my pain meds and given me Valium. I am back to work but every day and night is a struggle. The doctor tells me I shouldn't be experience all of this pain and discomfort. How can he tell me how my body feels. Some times the pain and the muscle spasms are just unbearable. Not sure of what to do at this point. Any suggestions