I have been running for the past 3 weeks (consistently) about 20 minutes every day. Last week I got the stomach bug and I was only able to run 1 day of the week. Did it hurt my endurance or am I just being to hard on myself??
I'm afraid I will ahve to start all over at the bottom again and don't want to have to do that. "the bottom" meaning only about 5 minutes of runnign before I thing I'm going to die.
In general how many days can one miss without lossing any of the good effects of running???

Are you active in any other sports?

You probably won't lose much of your fitness. A week away from training isn't really that much.

I agree with what PH said. If anything the first day back may be a little more difficult while you get your legs back. A week off will not effect you that much, if you have been training consistently.

Good Luck!

A week off is no biggie.

But be careful about coming back too quickly. If your body is still too weak, it will make running very unpleasant mentally and physically.

Be sure to wait until you feel 100%--you won't regret it.

I hope you feel strong soon!

thanks guys...I ran last night for 20 minutes , no problem at all and could have gone longer but didn't want to chance it. I actually missed not being able to run...a neat feeling!!!

Ok, I just checked "the book:" The Competitive Runner's Handbook...my little training bible and it states that: "You'll lose approximately 2 to 3 percent of fitness per week of inactivity." Not that much at all. Just be careful when you go back out there and make sure your immune system is ready. Hope you feel better.

Shelly