I keep running a whole year round. Unlike summer when everything seems to be OK, during winter I usually catch cold. However I continue to run and it usually makes it worse. A friend of mine claims that running cures cold. I don’t have that impression. Do you run when you’re sick?

Some researches found that moderate physical activity fends off various viruses and bacteria and boost your immune system. The key word is moderate. On the other hand they have noticed that very long runs tend to decrease your immune response. Therefore you should not overdo things. As for the cold or flu, things are clear. If you feel the symptoms stop running, stay at home, lie down and give your body enough energy to fight the invaders. If you keep it busy producing energy for the run, it will not be able to stop the virus or bacteria attack. Take vitamin C as well as other vitamins and minerals and drink plenty of fluid. That doesn’t include beer or something like that.