Running seems like something so simple, yet so profane and complicated. I am not an active runner, more like an amateur fan. Yet I am considering engaging myself in some serious running training. Do you workout to prepare for distance running? How do you even know what's your distance, what kind of race you're good at?

Anything you do in your life, you have to prepare and practice in order to do it good. Running is not any different. For running, or any kind of sport activity you have to engage both mentally and physically. And even more than usually, since sport often consumes our entire free time (I assume that you're a student or already working). For distance running you have to workout a lot and to do it smart. Except for running you'll engage in a series of exercises specially designed to improve runner's stamina and strength. To know your distance, just try them all and see which is yours.