I am thinking of buying an indoor trainer for my bike. I would like to continue putting lots of miles on my bike through the winter. To be honest, I don’t know much about them and am planning to go to a bike shop. I hope to get some assistance there. However, any suggestions would be appreciated!

Good thinking! Why wasting your time during winter on worthless TV shows and fattening cookies alone when you can have your workout right there at your home? When we talk about bike trainers there are basically two different types, Mag and Fluid. The Fluid is generally more expensive, quieter, and smoother. My sister has a Tacx Satori (which is a mag trainer) and she doesn’t have any problems with it. Also, she says that it's not that noisy either. As for me, I have the Cycleops fluid 2. I manage to put a couple of thousand kms during winter on it. If you make sure that you set the same resistance each time, then you can track your progress. Don’t be surprised to see somewhat different numbers in the spring on the road though. Also you should be prepared to buy new tires in the spring since the rear wheel does wear down on a trainer.