I have heard for many cases where people had problems with hemorrhoids. Now my father started to suffer from the same problem. That is why I would like to hear something about hemorrhoid. Can you tell me some basic info because he does not want to visit a doctor yet? Could it be dangerous, are every hemorrhoid the same in its prognosis.

Hemorrhoids are swollen, dilated veins of the rectum or anus, which is the lowest portion of the colon. Hemorrhoid may be located at the beginning of the anal canal, which refers to internal hemorrhoids, or at the anal opening, which are external hemorrhoids. They are very much like varicose veins because they loose enlarge and lose their elasticity. Off course, this is resulting in their sac-like protrusions into the anal canal. Hemorrhoids may be present for years, but go undetected until bleed occurs, as many people reported. There are different types of hemorrhoids, depending on their location, severity, and the amount of pain or they cause. These are internal hemorrhoids, which are located inside the rectum and are usually painless, especially if located above the anorectal line. They tend to bleed and when this happens, the blood appears bright red. Another type is external hemorrhoids, also known as piles. This type of hemorrhoid can be extremely painful, but rarely bleed. The last group is prolapsed hemorrhoid is an internal hemorrhoid that collapses and protrudes outside the anus. Those are often accompanied by a mucous discharge and heavy bleeding.