I have read that all people have blood-filled sacs that cushion the passage of stool through the anal canal. I realized that when these sacs become stretched and enlarged, they are called hemorrhoids. I have a friend who gets hemorrhoids that occur during her pregnancy. However, I would like to hear what you could tell me about trombosed hemorrhoids. Is there any difference between usual and trombosed hemorrhoids?

First, you have to know that hemorrhoids generally are classified as external that are placed outside of the anal canal. Those can be very painful, beside these, there are internal hemorrhoids, which are inside the anal canal, and these can protrude and bleed. External hemorrhoids can become thrombosed, which means they develop blood clots inside. In the same time, they become very tender. Large blood clots can produce pain with walking, sitting or passage of stool, so it brings huge problems to patient. It is not clear why healthy people suddenly develop clots in external hemorrhoids, but definitely, it is not desirable. The treatments for external hemorrhoids are different from those for internal hemorrhoids; one of options is to allow clots in the external hemorrhoids to be slowly absorbed by the body over several weeks. Patient could try hot baths, ointments or creams for the discomfort, and most experts recommend that the blood clots be surgically removed. One procedure creates a cut over the clot, allowing the doctor to squeeze out the clot, but unfortunately, this quick and easy procedure frequently results in blood clots reforming and continuing pain. A more extensive procedure is full hemorrhoidectomy, which removes the clot and the blood vessels in the hemorrhoid.