Hi im a 14 year old boy I am over weight i am 5'6 155 ponds i am not proud of this but cannot stick to a diet or work out plan mostly because i have no time and tejd not to work hard this problem is getting serious and interfearing with my school work please help. My goal weight is around 120 pounds. Please help. Thanks!

Anyone wanna help me?

Celebrity

Hey Judesage. 

Diet and exercise are inevitable - proper nutrition plan even more so, I would say 70% of success is a healthy diet plan. And the rest is exercise - about 4 times a week - even fast walking or riding a bike helps. You do not have to lift weight weights or go to the gym to look healthier. 

What do you usually eat during the day? If you can help me list and amounts of food and drinks that you usually consume during the day, I can let you know what you are doing wrong and what not...

I think your goal is totally achievable in a few months. But you have to stick to the plan. No other option there.

Wow thank you this means alot to me and i cant wait to change. I tend to eat really unhealthy. A litre of pop aday and meal replacment drinks. Our school caffeteria is unhealthy to. They serve muffins and a suger bases juice. I also eat a veriety of meat at dinner and potatos pizza burgers frys and other fast food like stuff. I do like salad and eat lots of vegtables. I am not a fruit fan. Thank you so much

Weight loss need dedication and focus than diet and exercise. 

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** web addresses not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use

Celebrity

The biggest problem definitely is eating "healthier". For start - you are aware that your eating habits are not good, and you know you have to improve. That's a good beginning. :)

Well... pop has to go, that's for sure :) It is unnecessary sugar, and total rubbish without any nutrients.
Replace that with plain water. And try to drink about 1.5 l- 2 liters per day. Do you think you could that?
Probably you will have to go to the toilet in the beginning more often, but that will eventually stabilize.

Meal replacement drinks? What kind of drinks are that? Are we talking about protein shakes? Even is we are talking about protein shakes, they are not the best option because they are drank best after your workout - this is when your body has most benefit from them. But basically nothing can replace a "real" meal. However, I would say 1 protein shake per day - best consumed up to 30 minutes after your workout is perfectly fine.

Regarding school caffeteria... Do they serve only muffins and sugar bases juice? Do they serve for example salad with some type of grilled meat or chicken sandwich? What else do they serve? Let me know what are their options, and I will let you know what's okay and what isn't. However, if they are total sh*t, and totally unhealthy - I am afraid my dear that you have no other choice but to make your own sandwich or salad, and take a piece of favorite fruit (or not) at home...

How is your meat prepared? Please, please, please don't tell me fried :) Best option is grilled meat - prepared with just a little oil - not more than a teaspoon is necessary. Cooked meat is fine too. Baked option would pass too. But if you're into fried - we will have to make some modifications in how you fry it - but that's doable too :)
Meat for dinner is a perfect choice. Especially if we're talking about chicken, turkey, beef, fish, even some lean cuts of pork can pass.
But potatoes, particularly fried potatoes - no. Simply cannot go. I mean once a week it can pass, but they shouldn't be a regular part of your diet. Pizzas.. the same... Burgers... the same ...

Your biggest bonus is that you like veggies! And take this as your advantage. (Don't count potatoes as veggies... they are full of starch - consider them more like an occasional side dish)... So, instead of eating fries., or any kind of potatoes as your side dish or bread in a burger - double, or even triple your portion of fresh or cooked veggies. Do you think you could do this?
So, basically - grilled chicken, turkey, beef of fish, with a big portion of shortly cooked veggies and a bowl of lettuce or cucumber or tomato salad - that would be a perfect dinner.

If you don't like fruits, surprise, but that's not a big deal! :) They are full of sugar and basically you can get all the vitamins, minerals and all the fiber you need from your veggies.

So... for starts let me know if any of my suggestions are doable (water, dinner... ) let me know the answers to my questions (about fried food, caffeteria...) and we shall continue from there and then go into healthier food ingredients and food preparation with some cool recipes.

I am excited too when I can help, and I would really love to help you out :)
Remember - everything is doable and you can achieve anything - the biggest factor in play is you!
xox

I can definitaly do the water part and about the caffiteria it is really expesive so most of the time i dobt really eat at it i just wait til i get hone to eat and when i do get home i eat alot. I take money somtimes and buy chinese food timmies or wendy's. I could take salad or a sandwich in my lunch but i am kinda Lazy and tend to take the easy way out ( another huge problem i need to fix). I have come to a conclusion i have to make this a whole new life still. A habbit if you will. Another huge problen i have to solve is puttingit of i always tell myself im gunna start fresh on monday but then im lazy and forget. Thanks for the help please send more. Judesage

Celebrity

Cool - replacing pop with water is a very important step. This way you'll eliminate unnecessary calories and sugar from pop. These are all empty calories and are definitely not needed.
That would be perfect - if you could make yourself a sandwich or a salad at home and take this for lunch. I also like to prepare this shake, it is prepared very fast and basically all you need is your water bottle: 5 spoons rolled oats, 1 banana, 1 orange, 1 dcl or less - depends what consistency you prefer, just a bit or cinnamon - or not if you aren't a fan - put all ingredients in a mixer and mix for about 1 minute, transfer to your water bottle and voila - a very healthy snack you can have instead your your sandwich or salad.
Another advice: in the evening - when you're hungry - and you come home and you're ready to eat your fridge :) ... Instead putting all the things you plan to eat on the table and start eating with all those boxes in front of you ... instead of that - put what you plan to eat on your plate, and put away all those things back in cabinets. Don't have them in front of you - put on the plate what you plan to eat and the rest - put it back in kitchen cabinets. OK? Do you think you can do that?

And when you eat everything that is on your plate, wait. Wait at least 10 minutes - the information from your (full) stomach will come to your brain and the stomach will say "I am full, I don't need more food". it will definitely. it takes about 10 minutes to recognize that .

Also eat slowly. Chew eat bite at least 25-30 times. Count. You will notice the difference between the number of chews you make without thinking about that and when you do :) You will be surprised.

Judesage, I am so glad you have decided to make a POSITIVE change. Do not forget you are responsible for success. Only you. I can write here essays, but if you aren't going to stick to what you decide you should change, I really can't do much about it.

Don't be to hard on yourself, we are all sometimes lazy, and forget things. The most important thing is to start acting and not postpone things on "Mondays" .. I know how this goes - I was there too :) Don't think you can do it - START DOING IT! :)

I think these few changes aren't too hard:
- skip pop - drink water instead
- put you dinner on your plate and not boxes etc. on your table
- eat slowly and chew your food

Do you think you can do this for let's say 3 weeks?

If you have any questions, I would love to answer them, just let me know!
xox

Thank you very much im starting right away. How many shakes would you recomend a day. What are some other good recipies. Thanks.

Celebrity

Another shake that I like:
2 spoons cottage cheese, 1 dcl water, 1 banana, cinnamon. You can also add 1 raw egg yolk - because of proteins , but if you're going to take this to school - I think it's better to skip raw yolk because you're probably going to have this shake in your bag for a few hours and not in the fridge...
If you're using protein powder shakes - not more than 2 per day.
If you are making "real food" shakes - it is a real food you're consuming - just different texture, so I don't see anything wrong in them... not that I see anything wrong with protein powder shakes either .. :)

Do you exercise? Or any kind of physical activity?

Thanks. I do football five times a week for 2 hours then directly after that i do taikwondo for 2 hours 6 days a week. On weejends I jump on my trampoleen punch my punching bag andplay frisbee.

Celebrity

You're active, no doubt about that :) 

Stickt to the suggestions about the diet, and you'll make it. 

And remember, results dont' come overnight - but they will come.