Hi everyone. I see many cat owners don’t pay any attention to their cats’ dental health. This is a very stupid thing to do since, just like in humans, dental problems in cats can lead to serious health issues.

So I want to remind all of you to brush your cat’s teeth today if you haven’t done that already.

Now, what I wanted to ask you is – what is your personal opinion when it comes to toothpastes for cats available on the market?  Can someone who has more experience with cats explain me how to choose the right toothpaste for my cat? 

Hi there . Choosing toothpaste for cats is kind of fun. They don’t usually come with minty flavors ( I don’t know why I even expected that). They come in salmon, tuna or peanut butter flavors.

The important thing is that the product is tasty so that the cat doesn’t refuse to put it in her mouth.

Always choose dental products that are made with safe ingredients. You don’t want it to harm your cat. And never use toothpaste for humans. It’s harmful for both cats and dogs.

Here is a little advice- You should avoid cat toothpaste made with alcohol and artificial sweeteners. You should skip abrasive products altogether. 

I applaud you for your concern over dental care of your cat(s). You are right; many of the cat owners neglect that aspect of keeping the cat.

Yes, the human toothpaste cannot be given to cats. That is because cats don’t know to spit it out when we are finished with brushing their teeth. Human toothpastes are not meant to be swallowed and they are harmful to cats, but the toothpastes made for cats specifically can be swallowed without fear of vomiting and/or diarrhea.

You can choose whatever flavor your cat likes the most. Like Mia said, they come in different flavors, and all of these flavors are made to be appealing to our pets. 

Hey there. It is very important and it is really necessary to follow a really good dental care routine to ensure that your cat won’t suffer from some dental disease and really bad breath. That is really important. When you are choosing the right toothpaste, you really should consider to buy a toothpaste with natural and safe ingredients. It is good to consult your vet about this issue. But, you can never, but NEVER give human toothpaste to your cat, that is something that you should avoid. First step, that is really hard is getting your cat used to having his mouth touched. But, it is not hard. 

Sometimes, you should let your cat to choose what toothpaste is the best for her. You can choose three or four different types. Now, you have to try them all to see which one is the best. Add a little pet toothpaste, but as the others told you, avoid human toothpaste, because the fluoride can really irritate your cat’s stomach. Take things slowly because your cat needs to get used to the flavor and consistency of the toothpaste. For me, this is the best way to choose toothpaste, because this is the only way that you cat can let you know which one is the best for her :)

Hey there. My mom was literally crazy until she didn’t found the right toothpaste for her cat, and I have to say that this was like a nightmare for me and my dad as well :) lol. I mean, I do know that this is important, but I think that my mother was choosing a right toothpaste for two months and more :)

The most important thing is to find some natural toothpaste, with natural ingredients. That means that you should avoid those pasts that have some sweeteners in it, because it can really harm your cat’s teeth.  And, you don’t want that. 

I don’t think that choosing a toothpaste is that big of a deal. There are only several brands (at least in my pet shop) and there are no differences. Ingredients are pretty much the same.
The only thing that you need to pay attention to is the flavor. This is the thing that will affect your cat’s acceptance to clean teeth.
If she doesn’t like the flavor, good luck with getting her to open her mouth. You’re lucky if she’s not aggressive.
On the other hand, if you choose well (beef flavor for example) your cat will enjoy cleaning teeth every time.

Of course that choosing the right toothpaste should not be a big deal, especially because we do live in the time when we have a bunch of everything. So, we have a bunch of toothpaste as well, you can choose without watching them :) LOL, joke of course. I totally agree that you should let your cat decide which toothpaste is the best for her. Let her choose one of three, for example. But, of course, when you are buying toothpaste, you should buy the one that has natural ingredients, without alcohol. This is the first choice, if you ask me.

It’s very simple. Just go to your local pet shop and read the ingredients on the back of the toothpaste. Remember them and google them up when you get home. That’s what I always do when I decide to change the toothpaste that I am using for cleaning my cat’s teeth. Usually there is no need to do that because all the pastes for cats are specially designed so that there are no ingredients that can harm cats, but I like to check just in case.

After you have done that, all you need to do is to find the right flavor.