My grandma is feeling depressed about her age. Although she is only 60 she is talking all time that she is going to day every moment. My mom doesn’t seem to take her serious, but I am very worried about her. What can I do to help her?

There are a few steps you can take to help her. Suggest a hobby; hobbies may help keep her mind and body active. It will be great that she does something with her friend or a family. Older people who are depressed can gain mental as well as physical benefits from mild forms of exercise like walking outdoors or in shopping malls: Gardening, dancing, and swimming are good forms of exercise. Many people start feeling depressed about the age, even people younger than your grandma.

First of all 60 is not old by today's standards. Most people don't even retire these days until almost 70. Getting a hobby sounds like something you would tell a person who is in a nursing home.

Grandma needs to get out at least a couple times a week and be with friends her own age who are active and enjoy life and laughing. Unfortunately we live in country that once you are over 50 you are OLD.

Seniors are not some minority group who needs to be pitied and ignored because GUESS WHAT if you are lucky you are going to get there also and do you want someone telling you at 60 "Oh Dearie go out and get yourself a few puzzles and learn to knit? I guarantee you won't!!

We all need to change our attitudes about aging and then the depression won't happen.