After the Chicago Marathon, the arches in my feet were really sore. After a few weeks, the soreness went away.

During the Ultra-marathon I did on May 3rd, my arches once again got sore. They were actually part of what slowed me down half-way through the race.

For the most part, the soreness has gone away. When I run or walk around in my shoes, my feet feel fine. When I walk around without shoes, I have quite a bit of soreness. I just discovered this soreness yesterday because I typically wear my shoes around the apartment. The soreness seems to be towards the front of the arch on my right foot. It feels like if I lean my foot inward a little, the soreness subsides.

My first thoughts were that my shoes are getting old. That would go along with what my shins are telling me (my shins get sore when my shoes are old). But something is telling me that old shoes may not be the source of this problem. I just can't figure out what the problem is. My last pair of shoes felt like the arches were high. After trimming the insoles down, those shoes felt good. A few weeks after trimming the insoles was when I ran Chicago. My current shoes are feeling good most of the time, but occasionally it feels as if the arch is high. These have not been modified in any way. When I do the wet step test to see whether I have a high or low arch, it looks normal.

Has anybody else had a similar problem or have some advice? Do I need to see a podiatrist? It is concerning me since I only notice it when my shoes are off.

Part of the "RICE" treatment (rest, ice, compression, & elevation) that I didn't take into account for long time when I had some plantar fasciitis in my arches was the compression part. I got myself some Arch Aids and wore them all day, for many months actually. I think there's a lot to the compression component of recovery. Subsiding the swelling not only helps speed the healing, but it does wonders for stopping the aches. With these Arch Aids, the arch aches I got from just walking around were taken care of.

I was looking into those arch support straps just last night. How often do you wear them jrjo?

When the plantar fasciitis was bad, they were on 16 hours a day. And even once it healed up, I still wore them for quite a few months until I felt totally confident I was in the clear. Long afterwards now, I keep a pair nearby and will strap up after particularily long runs or races for a day or two. That website lists running stores that carry them and once the store I had gotten some from didn't have any in stock. So I called the fella that invented and wholesales them to get a pair. Really nice guy. I could hardly get him off the line. Long story short.. they really work.