I'm currently waiting for a date for my bunion surgery to right foot. My mum has offered to take me away on holiday after surgery to recover in the sun. Can anyone offer advice as to how soon after sugery I will be medically allowed to fly?

Most doctors recommend not flying for six weeks following bunion surgery. This is similar to driving, for obvious reasons. Patients having had only the left foot operated on will be able to drive an automatic car within two weeks. Those who have had an operation on the right side will be able to drive after 6-8 weeks.

Flying is a little different though and you should check with your physician to be sure. Expect at least a couple of weeks before you leave town because the doctor is going to want to see you for post-op evaluations. Your dressing will be changed and the stitches removed or trimmed after 10 days at your follow-up appointment. You are also going to experience some swelling for about ten days post surgery.

The best thing to do is ask your doctor.

Lots of things factor into the decision. How severe was the surgery? How well can you manage after the surgery, and how well can you tolerate traveling.

It's important to keep yourself comfortable in the plane. You will also need to be able to move the foot occasionally so that you don't develop any possible clots.

Enjoy your holiday.