What do you use when you're grilling? And if you're a charcoal fan, what's your preferred method of ignition?

Gas. Only because it's easier.

I prefer the way food tastes if it's grilled using charcoal rather than gas, though.

Charcoal is the best flavor, with mesquite or hickory chips soaked in water first. Usually lighter fluid to ignite.
Gas is, however, easiest when cooking something simple like chicken breasts, burgers, tiny steaks, etc. Charcoal is definitely the hands down favorite for whole chickens, big, good steaks, ribs, etc.
And - the ONLY method that will work for Boston Butt for NC BBQ - the smoker!

Our big grill is gas but we have two smokers--one electric/water and the other is just a regular smoker.

For your gas grill you can make a "smoker bag" by soaking your woodchips and placing them in a foil bag. Seal it well and poke holes in it--and put it right on top of the grates and it will add smoke flavor to your food. Not quite the same as a smoker, but cool anyway.

Charcoal is the best flavor, with mesquite or hickory chips soaked in water first. Never use lighter fluid to ignite! You must use an electric starter!!

Kingsford!! And use a gas torch to light it :P

Charcoal here. Lately I've been using the Kingsford BBQ Bag. Just light the bag and throw it in the pit. One bag is about the right size for my small grill.

I figured you being the caveman and all, would rub two sticks together

:LOL:x1000

:1:
I'm right there with you and I'm getting some great ideas from all of you!

Gas. Father's Day present to DH last year (deep fryer on the left):

gas, quicker and easier.

I use wood. Right now using cherry because I have a good supply of it. I just did cheeseburgers over a wood fire last night... yummm!

100% natural hardwood lump charcoal - the Cowboy brand. And no, it's not like the Kingsford charcoal briquets.
Ignition? Easy - the fire chimney. Stuff a few pages of newspaper in the bottom, charcoal in the top, light the newspaper, and in 20 minutes, it's cookin' time.