Wow After readin this I sure am glad Im on the side that has no side effects.
This is my 11th day of Chantix and I am soooo glad that my doctor told me about it. I am very grateful to her. I am 3 days smoke free. I eat BEFORE I take the pill and I have not had the sick feeling.. I did take the pill one time before eating and did get sick from it.. So ive never done that again.
My dreams are normal, sleep is normal besides I get up earlier and feel a lot better. Was before, I hated getting out of bed. Sometimes the only reason I did was to have that first smoke and coffee. Now I get out of bed because Life Is Beautiful.
The first week I did feel tired but I just exercised more and that helped a lot.

I am sorry for the people who have had the side effects..But also a lot of it has to be in your head.. I mean it is but in other areas I mean..Think Positive.. And I agree with the other person who said WHY DID YOU TAKE THESE PILLS IN THE FIRST PLACE??
My grandpa died of Lung cancer I saw him in pain for months. I do not want to die the same way. Everyone dies I know..so why not enjoy life as a smoker? Watch someone die of Lung cancer and you'll wanna change your mind on that for sure.

I just wanted to say good luck to the people on chantix and who want to try it..
I would suggest my family, friends and complete strangers to try it because it is working for me and I hope it continues the same.

Well, all the comments either scared the hell out of me or gave me encouragement, thanks. I have been on the pill for a week now and ready to give up the smokes for good. Today was the first day that I have had any nausea and no bad dreams at all. I have been tired yes, but I have been trying to exercise also. I really want to quit and will try anything to do that. Good luck to you all.

I took Chantix and have successfully quit smoking. While was on it, yes I had the typical nauseau but found that drinking plenty of water and taking it with food helped. I had the vivid dreams as well but stuck with the chantix anyway.

One symptom I didn't expect was heart palpatations. These have stopped since stopping the Chantix (which I weened myself from, didn't stop cold turkey). However, now I've had shortness of breath, headache, and my blood pressure is through the roof which resulted in a trip to the emergency room. I've never had high blood pressure before and find this an awfully big coincidence for the HBP and shortness of breath to have started on the heels of stopping Chantix.

I'm worried about what's in store for me given that doctors have been unable to control my BP successfully with meds so far. I went from working out everyday to being winded going up and down the stairs....

Is anyone else having similar issues after being on Chantix?

I have been on chantix since Dec 25th. For some reason, my doctor gave me a prescription for longer than 12 weeks (i don't think she realized there are 2 weeks in a package). I didn't quit after the first week, but cut down gradually until i was down to one a day then none. The last cigarrette i had was Feb 7th. I really didn't have any side effects that were bothersome enough to stop chantix. Both my parents died of lung cancer and my Aunt died of COPD. My problem is stopping chantix..i asked my doctor if it was safe to just stop and she said yes, but i REALLY don't think she knows anything about the drug. I tried to stop (i hadn't taken it for 1 day) and had panic attacks and wanted to smoke more than i ever have in my life. It terrified me. It is life or death for me to stay SMOKE FREE and now i'm afraid to stop the chantix. I have 3 more renewals on the prescription (which would be 6 more weeks). For those of you have weaned yourself off, did it work and how did you do it? Down to one a day? Please help!

I QUIT SMOKING FOR 6 WEEKS ON CHANTIX EXPERIENCEING THE COMMON SIDE EFECTS. HOWEVER-AFTER STOPPING THE MEDICATION- I WAS HAMMERED WITH PARALYZING ANXIETY AND PANICK ATTACKS. THESE WOULD LAST UP TO FOUR HOURS LONG. i WENT TO THE DOCTOR AND WAS PERCRIBED THE USUAL XANEX. THIS ONLY LASTED TEMPORARILY. NOW MY ANXIETY IS MODERATE BUT LASTING ABOUT 8 HOURS LONG. i HAVE NOT BEEN A FUNCTIONING MEMBER OF MY FAMILY AS I CANNOT TALK OR EVEN MOVE AT TIMES. I AM SMOKING AGAIN AS I WAS HOPING IT WAS THE NICOTINE CAUSING THE ANXIOETY. UNFORTUNATELY THAT WASN'T THE CASE!! iT MUST BE THE CHANTIX. i AM NOW TERRIFIED THAT THIS IS SOMETHING I WILL HAVE TO DEAL WITH FOR A LONG TIME!

ANYONE ELSE WITH EXTREME ANXIETY AFTER STOPPING CHANTIX?

I have been on Chantix since April 20, 2008. In that time I have had all of the symptoms they warn you about. I take the pill, five minutes later I get an upset stomach and lately on week 3 I have been experiencing bad headaches. Another thing I experienced which was a warning is the interruption of menstrual problems. Since I take birth control pills I am only to have my period during the placebo week. Well thanx to Chantix I have it a week in advance. Hopefully I remain nicotine free after week 4 so I do not have to refill my prescription.

Minot ND is previous account, this is my new one. I have been weaning myself off of Chantix due to the fact that I can't stand having my period anymore.

May 2nd I had one puff of a cigarette and about puked.

May 3rd I started spotting but was on my birth control as normal.

May 12 I started taking the placebo pills in my birth control pack yet have continued to spot since May 3rd.

May 15 I have my period full force now and have not taken any Chantix since Tuesday.

My doctor has me on a plan where I usually skip the week of placebo pills and go right to the next pack, telling my body that it is not to have a period. I am on this plan because I have endometriosis and I should only have my period every 3-4 months. Never did I think Chantix would screw that up. Don't get me wrong the drug works but there are side effects. I haven't heard of any complaints like mine and was wondering if there are anyone else similiar.

Yes, in response to the above post...i have had panic attacks and, as other people have reported, intense feelings of dread, depression, anger (severe anger) and general exhaustion. i did try going down to one a day. i did that for a week, then 1/2 a pill a day for a week, now i'm doing 1/2 pill every second day. I'm still not smoking, although it's is a 24 hour, seven day a week struggle. It's awful that your panic attacks are lasting so long. I know when mine are coming on, i get that intense feeling of dread, like the world is coming to an end, my life is over, nothing is ever going to be good again, then the panic and the sweating hit. It's AWFUL. Thanfully, they don't last long (no more than 5 or 10 minutes) and i just try to breathe through them. I feel for you, i hope your doctor can help you and that chantix makers are made aware of these side effects. DOCTOR'S AND PHARMACISTS need to be aware that it is NOT safe to just stop taking abruptly. BTW, I'm in Canada and its's not called chantix here, it's called CHAMPIX.

I had been a smoker almost all of my adult life and was finally ready to quit. I had followed Rimonabant and Chantix trials and was over the top excited when it was approved.

I used Chantix beginning in December '07 and stayed on the program for the full 6 months. I wanted to make sure I quit and didn't relapse. I am happy to report that I'm still not smoking after 18 months!!! WHOO HOO!

I did not have any negative symptoms. I did dream a lot, but I have to say the dreams weren't bad...in fact, I wish I had more of those type of dreams ;-) I went at the program whole-heartedly, was watching my weight, exercising, the whole bit. I felt great.

Now for the downside, which is my fault really. I have gained 25 pounds over the past 18 months and HATE IT!! It slipped up on me before I realized what had happened. Now, I'm looking for a magic pill to kick start my weight loss...

Let me know if you find that magic pill because i, too have gained about 20 pounds....i am so disgusted with myself but can't seem to lose any weight.

jan558; Are you still around?? I would like to know how you are and what your doctor said. I, too am having horrible heart palpitations, and shortness of breath, even at rest. i have a doctor's app. on Monday. I am still not smoking (almost 5 months) but, like others have said, i have a whole new set of problems....the heart palpitations, weight gain, panic attacks, feelings of dread, constant "empty" feeling in my stomach (hence the weight gain i guess...) i was expecting such great things after quitting smoking...everyone says "you must feel so much better" and I DON'T. I don't cough as much, but other than that, i feel no different and i have a whole new set of problems, caused by withdrawl from chantix???

Yes, It has been since oct when I got off the drug. I went to several doctors including, neurologist, psy. and my gen pract. All tell me the samething that it will get better over time. Nothing appears to be wrong. I am on antidepressants now and anxiety meds. Good luck to anyone taking this drug. Too many people have reported bad side effects and I have experienced it firsthand. I have not been the same person and I didn't even quit smoking.

Stick with it - the side effects dissapate.

If you think Chantix is bad, wait until you experience cancer.

I took Chantix for 6 weeks and I must say that it worked extremely well. I was starting to notice some rather extreme mood swings at times. Anyone that knows me will tell you that I am a laid back guy. I am a pharmaceutical rep and have been in the industry for 7 years. I was sitting outside of an office when another rep pulled into the parking lot. It is usually common courtesy to ask the rep that was already there if they are going to go inside. This rep paid no attention to me and went inside in front of me. When she came out I yelled at her and made an ass out of myself and oh by the way she was pregnant. I felt horrible about what I did and even called her and apologized. She didn't really act like it was that big of a deal and it seemed like everything was cool. Honestly, it wasn't that big of a deal that she went in front of me but I could not figure out why I was so mad about little things.
The the anxiety set in, I could not stop worrying about what I did. Bottom line I was out of work for a total of 4 weeks on short term disability. My doctor started me on Lexapro and it worked for a short period of time but I continued having anxiety problems. He switched me to Cymbalta and I finally feeling like my old self again. Also, I had some really horrible thoughts, not so much about suicide but extreme fears that I might hurt someone. Keep in mind that in 35 years I have had never had any anxiety issues aside from the normal anxiety that we all experience in life. The anxiety lasted for 2 months, I hope I NEVER go back to the places I was these past few months. By the way the Chantix worked well when I was taking it, but when I quit cold turkey, probably a mistake, I started chewing again. A law firm has sent me paperwork for a lawsuit. Am I wrong if I submit the paperwork, after all I am a drug rep. Pfizer claims that these side effects are associated w/ nicotine witdrawal. I have quit cold turkey in the past and never had any side effects remotely close to what I experienced. I just want my life back to normal and I must say that it is sad to see that others have have had some serious problems but refreshing that I am not alone. Hope this helps.

I was also told that I could just stop the Chantix. I didn't trust that so I slowly weened myself off. 1/2 pill 2x's per day for 2 weeks, then 1/2 pill 1x per day for 2 weeks, then 1/2 pill every other day. Even after I stopped I would take 1/2 pill every once in a while if anxiety or a severe craving started. I have now been without any Chantix for a month and have been smoke free for 3 months. Sleep is improving, weight that was gained is slowly going away. Any irritability or anxiety is improving.13568